CHAdeMO dead?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
Somehow Chademo is still beating CCS
Only when you count the number of "stations", which is meaningless in terms of usefulness.

Nearby to me are:
2 individual CHAdeMOs at the two Nissan dealers (even though one or the other is often out of commission).
3 EA stations (one with 12 CCS and 1 CHAdeMO, two with 4 CCS/1 CHAdeMO).
3 Tesla SuperChargers (12 v2, and two 8 v2)

So that counts as 4 CHAdeMO stations (4 plugs), and 3 stations of CCS (20 plugs) and 3 stations of SuC (28 plugs).

Yup. CHAdeMO is still beating them all. :lol:

DougWantsALeaf said:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1132960_which-ev-model-has-the-fast-charging-connector-compatible-with-more-us-stations
In term of locations, yes. In terms of ports available, CCS wins. And the only reason that's true is because EA has to provide CHADEMO as part of the settlement terms. In practical terms, that means one CCS/CHADEMO combo and two or three CCS only stations at any given location.

Tesla has indicated that they will be opening up supercharger stations to other brands later this year. While that could mean that some other manufacturer has adopted The Tesla plug, more likely it means that Tesla will add CCS stations at their Supercharger locations. That makes the most sense. Tesla already has the infrastructure in place so adding a couple of CCS ports is simple. Much cheaper than building a new station where you'd have to acquire the land, add industrial grade electrics. and pave the area. Tesla is getting ready to commercialize their Supercharger investment. If they charge even slightly higher rates for non-Tesla vehicles than for Teslas , they could recoup a substantial portion of their infrastructure costs without breaking their promise to Tesla owners that the Supercharger would never become a profit center for Tesla.

Riddle me this, group.

Scenario: Electrify America site. Say it has 3 dispenser cabinets, and each cabinet has two nozzles. 2 of the 3 have dual CCS, even though only one car can be charged at one time.

The third cabinet has a CCS nozzle and a Chademo nozzle.

How would you count this site in the nozzle totals?

I would tend to count more along the lines of the number of cars that can be charged, not just 5 CCS and 1 Chademo (which is how I think they're being counted).

DougWantsALeaf said:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1132960_which-ev-model-has-the-fast-charging-connector-compatible-with-more-us-stations

This is a clickbait. No info on how plugs were counted. Is a 6 station EA 6 CCS/1 Chademo or 11 CCS/1 Chademo? What about the V2 Extremes (both sides can charge simultaneously) ? verses well, every other station? Any extra points for those?

Is Webasto included in count? Well of course it is along with its current 50% of broken stations.

Randy said:
Riddle me this, group.

Scenario: Electrify America site. Say it has 3 dispenser cabinets, and each cabinet has two nozzles. 2 of the 3 have dual CCS, even though only one car can be charged at one time.

I would tend to count more along the lines of the number of cars that can be charged, not just 5 CCS and 1 Chademo (which is how I think they're being counted).

That is EXACTLY how they are counted.

The article does reference the government source.

I have seen Tesla sessions at Chademos (both at EA and other sites) increase over time as more of their cars appear on the roads. Even if only 3% have an adapter, when you include the sites that have adapters available, it makes for a lot of charging sessions.

I have to imagine that EA will need to go down the EVgo route soon to be competitive, though until they actually are forced to be profitable to continue, that may be a while.

DougWantsALeaf said:
The article does reference the government source.

I have seen Tesla sessions at Chademos (both at EA and other sites) increase over time as more of their cars appear on the roads. Even if only 3% have an adapter, when you include the sites that have adapters available, it makes for a lot of charging sessions.

I have to imagine that EA will need to go down the EVgo route soon to be competitive, though until they actually are forced to be profitable to continue, that may be a while.

With only chademo plug per location, the payback for EA would be limited. I don't see it happening unless they can tie it into a CCS port

4 Chademo and 4 CCS going in 2 blocks from our house. All bring installed by Tesla along with 12 V3 Superchargers. Tesla has been contracted to install a bunch of these types of sites with typically 25 percent of total stalls as Chademo/CCS. Once installed the operator of the Chademo/CCS will be FLO.

The Tesla team is fast. They work 12 hours a day 6 days a week and there was even a small Sunday crew last week. This particular team has a total of 8 of these sites to do before year end.

webeleafowners said:
Tesla has been contracted to install a bunch of these types of sites with typically 25 percent of total stalls as Chademo/CCS.
Similar locations in the USA popping up. I've yet to see anyone comment on the implication: governments seem OK with an EV future that is 3/4 Tesla. Quite the change from not too long ago that these same Gov's were not concerned with excluding Tesla from their plans.

Not that I actually believe the above -- I think Tesla has just out maneuvered the gov officials. Still, the appearance is remarkable.

Randy said:
Riddle me this, group.

Each EA CCS charger has two CCS cables but if you look closely, you'll see that the cable is too short to reach to the other side of the car. The cable is short so it won't overheat at high charge currents. You can only charge one car per station. The second cable is there for the other side of the car if your charge port is there. Three stations, three cars. Three CCS connections, one CHADEMO connection

SageBrush said:
webeleafowners said:
Tesla has been contracted to install a bunch of these types of sites with typically 25 percent of total stalls as Chademo/CCS.
Similar locations in the USA popping up. I've yet to see anyone comment on the implication: governments seem OK with an EV future that is 3/4 Tesla. Quite the change from not too long ago that these same Gov's were not concerned with excluding Tesla from their plans.

Not that I actually believe the above -- I think Tesla has just out maneuvered the gov officials. Still, the appearance is remarkable.
Tesla is complying with local or state regulations in order to get building permits. In some cases that means adding non-Tesla chargers in addition to their own. This is particularly true when Tesla is adding stations to municipal parking lots. Not so much when they add stations to shopping malls or private lots.

johnlocke said:
Randy said:
Riddle me this, group.

Each EA CCS charger has two CCS cables but if you look closely, you'll see that the cable is too short to reach to the other side of the car. The cable is short so it won't overheat at high charge currents. You can only charge one car per station. The second cable is there for the other side of the car if your charge port is there. Three stations, three cars. Three CCS connections, one CHADEMO connection

On a 350/150 station, they are aimed at different voltages

johnlocke said:
Randy said:
Riddle me this, group.

DaveinOlyWA said:
johnlocke said:
Randy said:
Riddle me this, group.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that there are some EA chargers that are mixed 350/150 kW. I don't think I've ever seen an EA station like that - each CCS charger has two connectors of the same max. power, either 350 or 150; only one can be used at a time. Only the CCS/CHAdeMO charger has different power ratings. OTOH, I have seen some CCS chargers (ABB IIRR) at EA sites which are capable of 350 kW but the sticker says they are 150kW, which is presumably a matter of what's being supplied to that charger.

Another 4 Chademo/CCS sites announced by the province and B.C. hydro. These are what some of us are starting to refer as safety sites though. I think the provincial team that surveys site locations looks at some of these as a worst case winter range type sceenario. Some of these would literally have no other purpose as they are at rest stops in the middle of no where with nothing but a Bathroom, garbage can and maybe a picnic table. Good safety stops in winter though.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Mercedes EQE to have Chademo in Japan, China, etc.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/iaa-munich-2021-mercedes-benz-eqe-unveiled
Japan sure.

China? I suspect the article's wrong. They'd likely by using the Chinese GB/T DC charging standard or maybe even ChaoJi, if it's ready in time.

Back