Combining miles-per-kilowatt-hour Readings

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobkart

For close to two years, I've been accumulating my mi/kWh readings from the trip computer on a per-month basis. Among other things, this lets me compare values for the same month of different years, in an attempt to factor out seasonal variations.

This month I had a problem that put my Leaf in the shop, and they disconnected the 12V battery as part of their diagnostic efforts. So I lost the monthly accumulation, but of course I have the readings for both before that point and after, along with how many miles the readings covered.

So how to combine the two readings into one became the next question. For those of you with a STEM background (myself included), this will be child's play. For the less technically-inclined, it may be a head scratcher, at least initially. So my audience for this post is the latter group.

Note that you will need the number of miles covered by each mi/kWh reading to be combined. More than two readings can of course be combined, so for example, an entire year's worth of readings can be consolidated into a single number, if desired.

I'll not give it away right now, as that would take away from the potential learning experience to be had by trying to work it out. Here are the specific numbers that prompted my need to do this combining, as concrete examples can often help one understand a problem better:

Reading 1: 4.0 mi/kWh, covering 158.3 miles
Reading 2: 4.3mi/kWh, covering 93.7 miles

I start this thread mainly to help anyone who has wanted to do this combining, but did not know how to go about it. I could just post the answer, but I know I enjoy trying to solve a problem more than I do being told the solution. I suspect there are others out there like me in that regard.

(Apologies to those of you for which this is a non-problem.)

Oh and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

bobkart said:
I start this thread mainly to help anyone who has wanted to do this combining, but did not know how to go about it. I could just post the answer, but I know I enjoy trying to solve a problem more than I do being told the solution. I suspect there are others out there like me in that regard.
Those that enjoy problem solving already know the solution from childhood. Everybody else are quite sure that thinking is over rated where it interferes with opinion and KW are kWh are kw/H

However, in a New Year spirit I'll add a clue:
The goal here is to sum the miles driven, and to sum the kWh consumed. The desired result is their ratio.
Adding up the miles is easy; figuring out kWh per trip (and then adding up all those numbers) is the work [sic]

Any arithmetic operation that has 2 variables can be solved for the 3rd.

A; Miles
B; Kwh used
C; miles/kwh

A/B=C

We have A and C so flip it to find the missing value.

Value 1; 4.0 mi/kWh, covering 158.3 miles with missing component the total kwh used which would be A/C

Add values 1 and 2 together in the base formula to get combined value of C

DaveinOlyWA said:
A; Miles
B; Kwh used
C; miles/kwh

A/B=C
Value 1; 4.0 mi/kWh, covering 158.3 miles with missing component the total kwh used which would be C*A
B = A/C = A * 1/C

That is nonsensical. You are trying to quote from faulty memory the dictum that X non-identical expressions that include the variables can solve X variables. (That is also not exactly right.)

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
A; Miles
B; Kwh used
C; miles/kwh

A/B=C
Value 1; 4.0 mi/kWh, covering 158.3 miles with missing component the total kwh used which would be C*A
B = A/C

That is nonsensical. You are trying to quote from faulty memory the dictum that X non-identical expressions that include the variables can solve X variables. (That is also not exactly right.)

2020 hangover! :lol:

Back