knightmb
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:41 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2021
Leaf Number: 306291
Location: Franklin, TN

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:14 am

estomax wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:44 pm
i hope the car is charging while you do this so you can do another 3 hour drive and get us efficiency results shortly :D
Ok, this is only 1 day of data so far and I only had two trips to compare vs. previous, but two routes that I do, one is 7 miles long, the other is 25 miles long. Both involve speeds of 55 MPH and lower, they are useful because they are roads with no stop signs, traffic lights, same speed limit, etc. As long as I don't run into any obstacles to slow me down or make me have to detour, I can run them over and over with the same cruise control settings and get pretty consistent numbers on efficiency.

So, normally, my 7 mile route gets me 4.5 m/kWh, today I got 5.0, which surprised me, but it could be a fluke of the temperature or weather. That is the kind of numbers I got on my old 2013, so that looked promising.

Now, the 25 mile route, usually get a lot less because of the rolling hills and such, so I've been getting about 4.2 m/kWh. That day, I got a 4.8 m/kWh, so again, this could be weather related or maybe I just had some really good tail wind, but I can say that so far, it seems to be working in positive direction, but I am not going to get excited by the results until I get a lot more numbers on, especially repeats on those routes to see if that was just a fluke driving that day.
2020 Leaf SL Plus - (Manufacture Date March 2020)
2013 Leaf SV (8 faithful years of service before trade in at 75,679 miles)

rogersleaf
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:50 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Mar 2019
Leaf Number: 307726
Location: Kent, Ohio

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:47 am

Just curious if anyone had a gearbox oil change recommended by a dealer service department?
Mine was in last week for an annual battery check when they mentioned a 50K mile oil change.
This is the first I heard a dealer mention a mileage-based service interval at all with a LEAF.
2014 SV - Brilliant Silver - returned 1/2017 at end of lease.
2019 SL - White - w/Tech Package

voltamps
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:13 pm
Delivery Date: 14 Dec 2020

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:56 am

rogersleaf wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:47 am
Just curious if anyone had a gearbox oil change recommended by a dealer service department?
Mine was in last week for an annual battery check when they mentioned a 50K mile oil change.
This is the first I heard a dealer mention a mileage-based service interval at all with a LEAF.
Others have reported dealerships trying to upsell them on this. It's not a bad idea to change it, and Nissan Matic S stuff at the dealership is of course just fine, actually thinner (lower visc) by a tad compared to the Amsoil Signature Series all-PAO stuff I put in myself. The thinner a fluild is, the better range boost you get. Not too thin though, as we've discussed above, there is a limit somewhere as to how thin you can go. Unknown as to where that line is.

It's certainly not sleazy for a dealership to recommend changing it at 50k even though Nissan says "never change it". I just hope the dealerships inform the customer that this is an optional service they think will help gearbox longevity.

If you're a DIY-er, this is an easy job, assuming you're good with jack stands, torque wrench, etc., have very basic mechanic skills.
2020 Leaf SV
2016 Ford Focus Electric (traded in at 34k miles, 5 years)

rogersleaf
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:50 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Mar 2019
Leaf Number: 307726
Location: Kent, Ohio

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:45 pm

voltamps wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:56 am
rogersleaf wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:47 am
Just curious if anyone had a gearbox oil change recommended by a dealer service department?
Mine was in last week for an annual battery check when they mentioned a 50K mile oil change.
This is the first I heard a dealer mention a mileage-based service interval at all with a LEAF.
Others have reported dealerships trying to upsell them on this. It's not a bad idea to change it, and Nissan Matic S stuff at the dealership is of course just fine, actually thinner (lower visc) by a tad compared to the Amsoil Signature Series all-PAO stuff I put in myself. The thinner a fluild is, the better range boost you get. Not too thin though, as we've discussed above, there is a limit somewhere as to how thin you can go. Unknown as to where that line is.

It's certainly not sleazy for a dealership to recommend changing it at 50k even though Nissan says "never change it". I just hope the dealerships inform the customer that this is an optional service they think will help gearbox longevity.

If you're a DIY-er, this is an easy job, assuming you're good with jack stands, torque wrench, etc., have very basic mechanic skills.
Fortunately I'm not quite to 50K miles yet so didn't get pushed on the matter. I'm not much into creeper work anymore but thinking this oil change might become a DIY event because I want to drop the plastic panels to take a closer looks at what I bought. I didn't take the time to ask what they charge for this service but judging by the $60 cabin air filter can likely guesstimate. Think they were more concerned about the 41K mile original Michelins at 3/32 tread depth. More than likely the dealer won't see me for another year/20K+ miles unless something breaks under warranty because the next service will likely be at a tire dealer.
2014 SV - Brilliant Silver - returned 1/2017 at end of lease.
2019 SL - White - w/Tech Package

denwood
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:14 pm
Delivery Date: 03 Mar 2018
Leaf Number: 314149
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:09 pm

Just finished this on my 2018 SL, with 60 000 kms. I was happy to see clean plugs with no visible metal bits on them. This is for sure the first fluid change on this car, new to me in November.

voltamps
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:13 pm
Delivery Date: 14 Dec 2020

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:18 am

denwood wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:09 pm
Just finished this on my 2018 SL, with 60 000 kms. I was happy to see clean plugs with no visible metal bits on them. This is for sure the first fluid change on this car, new to me in November.
Incredible. Clean? 37k miles & we typically see the break-in iron. I changed my '20 Leaf SV at 1.4k, almost new, and there was iron fuzz (pictures earlier in this thread).

Were the plugs magnetized? I'd test that on a piece of iron or steel.

Every set of plugs, no matter when it's changed have had plenty of iron junk on them.

Or, maybe the Nissan dealer changed the oil (did it look red or brown?) on a recent service visit before you bought it, or a DIY-er got hold of it, & it escaped your attention. DIY-ers can get pretty sneaky. :P

Even if the factory polished the gear faces down to a very low Ra, some fuzz will get free.
Last edited by voltamps on Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
2020 Leaf SV
2016 Ford Focus Electric (traded in at 34k miles, 5 years)

knightmb
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:41 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2021
Leaf Number: 306291
Location: Franklin, TN

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:59 am

voltamps wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:18 am
Or, maybe the Nissan dealer changed the oil (did it look red or brown?) on a recent service visit before you bought it, or a DIY-er got hold of it, & it escaped your attention they did it. DIY-ers can get pretty sneaky. :P

Even if the factory polished the gear faces down to a very low Ra, some fuzz will get free.
I was about to say the same because I changed mine at 12K and the pictures shows how much metal was on mine, I can't see how it would be completely clean if no one has changed it before. On a side note, it was changed in the past and did come out clean, it's encouraging for us that one change is pretty good to clean out the gear break-in. :)
2020 Leaf SL Plus - (Manufacture Date March 2020)
2013 Leaf SV (8 faithful years of service before trade in at 75,679 miles)

voltamps
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:13 pm
Delivery Date: 14 Dec 2020

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:14 am

Does seem near impossible.
2020 Leaf SV
2016 Ford Focus Electric (traded in at 34k miles, 5 years)

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 5976
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:47 pm

I love how this thread keeps going. It demonstrates the "Maytag repairman" aspect of LEAF maintenance. ;) I'm seriously tempted to upgrade to a larger pack at some point if the car stays as mechanically sound as it has been.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

denwood
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:14 pm
Delivery Date: 03 Mar 2018
Leaf Number: 314149
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:45 pm

voltamps wrote:
denwood wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:09 pm
Just finished this on my 2018 SL, with 60 000 kms. I was happy to see clean plugs with no visible metal bits on them. This is for sure the first fluid change on this car, new to me in November.
Incredible. Clean? 37k miles & we typically see the break-in iron. I changed my '20 Leaf SV at 1.4k, almost new, and there was iron fuzz (pictures earlier in this thread).

Were the plugs magnetized? I'd test that on a piece of iron or steel.

Every set of plugs, no matter when it's changed have had plenty of iron junk on them.
The car was bought new by a local driving school (I know the owner), so I'm about 100% sure the fluid was never touched. The fluid came out brown, and yes the plugs are magnetic. I was expecting a lot more metal evidence based on this thread, but the plugs were clean. The two plugs had the typical "snap" of a plug in an aluminium case that has never been removed. The car likely had very little highway mileage given its previous life. Given i have the car chassis pulled apart, this was the easy job on my list.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”