Method of controlling turning on and off charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grod

Hi,

I'm new here. I've tried searching through the forums, but didn't find much information as to what I'm looking for. I would like to be able to control turning on and off the Nissan Leaf charger using a microcontroller.

One option is to use Carwings. I've taken a look at the carwings portal site, but carwings in general, is pretty slow and reliable. Keeping on the same topic, does anyone on here know how the nissan leaf retrieves Car Wing data commands and how it physically turns on the charger? Eg: is there an onboard ECU on the Nissan Leaf that retrieves Car Wing commands and sends CAN messages to the onboard charger to turn it on?

Does anyone know whether it's possible to tap into the Nissan Leaf EV Can bus to turn on and off the charger? Or are there any other elegant solutions in doing so?

Try these:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6038" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3326" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think the main thing lacking in any solution I've seen so far (including Carwings) is the ability to stop charging. Sure, you can start charging, but not stop it.

Also, the remote start charging will not stop automatically until 100% charge is reached.

If somebody can figure out how to remotely stop it, then a lot of things can be accomplished remotely by third parties to fill in the voids that the current charging options have.

If somebody can figure out how to read the temperature bars remotely, that would increase the charging options even more, like selectively not charging the battery unless it cools down enough.

I'm in the 50% charging club for now, attempting to have the car sit for prolonged periods close to 50% and charging close to when I'm going to leave to reduce the number of hours the car sits at a high SOC for long periods. my way of having more control has been to run the car down no more than 40%, have the charging timer set for just 10 minutes a week (so I can plug it in any time without charging), plug in when I drive up and in advance of when I want to drive I use carwings to initiate charging until I interrupt it when I leave, that way I don't have to physically plug/unplug accept for when I'm arriving and leaving. If I drive up and want to start charging immediately, I simply hit the timer over ride button and plug in and charge. it would be very nice to have a stop charging command through carwings.

grod said:
... I would like to be able to control turning on and off the Nissan Leaf charger using a microcontroller. ... Or are there any other elegant solutions in doing so?
For home, you could build an OpenEVSE, then program it to start and stop as you wish. You could use a serial link to control it remotely.

Volusiano said:
Also, the remote start charging will not stop automatically until 100% charge is reached.
Ingineer has said his LEAFSCAN (not yet available for sale) will allow you to set any arbitrary stop charging point you want - although not remotely, I'm sure. ;)
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=8251" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have a Blink charger station, you can turn off charging via the intranet. Away from home, you could control your home computer via a VNC application and get to the Blink intranet.

Back