Cargo 'floor'? (on plane with lowered seat backs)?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valid8r

Has anyone come up with a way to create a 'top' to the cargo area that lies flat/flush with the lowered seat backs to create a flat storage area? I do miss the fold flush Prius seat design. I'm thinking of making a cardboard template, then cutting a 1" foam sheet to use as a form to then make a fiberglass 'table/plate'...

Has this been done? it would provide the added benefit of covering the cargo area without having to have the stock cover - but you could lay things on top of this...

Thoughts?

Jon

Have you seen the Nissan LEAF Cargo Organizer accessory? It provides some storage and a "flat top" that matches the seats when folded down...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-Nissan-LEAF-REAR-CARGO-AREA-ORGANIZER-/270751729349?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ANissan%7CModel%3ALeaf&hash=item3f0a0f86c5&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but the seat doesnt really fold flat. the seat backs only fold 80% of the way down. it sucks, basically.
the volvo technique has the seat bottoms folding into the foot well and then, when the backs flop forward it makes a flat floor.

Yanquetino said:
thankyouOB said:
but the seat doesnt really fold flat. the seat backs only fold 80% of the way down. it sucks, basically.
That's weird. My seats fold flat with the cargo organizer. Are your front seats moved all the way to the rear, and the rear seats' headrests hitting them perhaps?

What version (year, model) of LEAF do you have?
Do you have a picture of the "entirely flat surface"?
You only picture it loaded with cargo.

My (early version 2011) rear seats do not fold down "entirely flat".
Thanks

garygid said:
What version (year, model) of LEAF do you have?
Do you have a picture of the "entirely flat surface"?
You only picture it loaded with cargo.

My (early version 2011) rear seats do not fold down "entirely flat".
Thanks
Sure! Happy to oblige, Gary! Mine is a 2012 SL LEAF.

I should clarify that, when I say flat I mean level with the cargo organizer and charger "hump," i.e., when the seats are folded forward, they create a large, extended, flat surface for hauling cargo. That plane is not exactly “horizontal” with the ground, but rises at a very, very slight angle back-to-front --just like the cargo organizer does. Of course, there is a “groove” where the seats hinge in front of the hump, but for all practical purposes the result is... flat.

I have updated my web page with new photos to show what I mean, but you might have to reload the page to see them. I will also paste medium images of them below. You can also click on them to open their larger counterparts. Hope this helps!

Yanquetino said:
thankyouOB said:
That's weird. My seats fold flat with the cargo organizer. Are your front seats moved all the way to the rear, and the rear seats' headrests hitting them perhaps?

no. i removed them at the dealership and keep stored.
perhaps the 2012 and 2011 are slightly different in the rear seat components.

I would go out and check but, as followers of other threads know, Red was rear-ended and is in the shop for about 5 weeks.

thankyouOB said:
Yanquetino said:
thankyouOB said:

no. i removed them at the dealership and keep stored.
perhaps the 2012 and 2011 are slightly different in the rear seat components.
I have an early 2011 car too, and my seats fold down just as Yanquetino describes. I think the difference is in perspective. I put an 8' strip of plywood in and it was pretty flat across the surfaces. The charger hump was still the high point. The angle of the seat backs is still toward the roofline, but if you're putting a large object in the distance from the hump to the ceiling is just over 24" and from the high point of the seats it's ~26".

My rear seats don't fold as flat as the pics above show, but I think it's because I have the Wet Okele covers on them which make them more puffy.

Back