Suggestions for Basic portable kWh Meter 240 volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

You can add cheap and durable, to thread title.

Just visited the MNL Advertiser's site for this one:

http://www.ekmmetering.com/ekm-metering-products/electric-meters-kwh-meters/basic-kwh-meter-100a-120-240-volt-3-wire-60hz-ekm-25ids.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would be interested in a kWh meter I could install on a stub cable to put in-line on my 240V 16A EVSE at home and when traveling.

Not sure if $90 quite meets my price point, particularly in light of my major concern, durability.

The spec sheet on this one suggests, to me, that it might not be durable enough for mobile use.

Anyone have experience with the EKM, or others meters, in this application?

You might give this a try, it says 50 Hz on the picture, 50-60 Hz in the description.

http://www.risebuy.com/usa/single-phase-lcd-5-32a-220vac-din-rail-kilowatt-hours-kwh-electric-energy-meter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just ordered one, will post more when it arrives, $26.10 total, no tax or shipping.

i understand wanting the data, but other than plugging into campsites and other "non networked" outlets, Blink, Eco, etc allows you to track how much charge you get per session.

now, in my case when camping, i plugged into a socket where there was no other draw (campsite owner allowed me to use the vacant spot next to ours for the car) and it had the standard glass meter so just tracked stopping and starting point. the Owner refused any offer of payment for power used (only used 18-25 Kwh per session for the 3 different times i charged while camping)

pchilds: You might give this a try, it says 50 Hz on the picture, 50-60 Hz in the description.

http://www.risebuy.com/usa/single-phase" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... meter.html

Just ordered one, will post more when it arrives, $26.10 total, no tax or shipping.
Thanks,

The price is definitely right. Please post your results, especially if it also looks like it would be suitable for portable use.

DaveinOlyWA said:
i understand wanting the data, but other than plugging into campsites and other "non networked" outlets, Blink, Eco, etc allows you to track how much charge you get per session...

Unfortunately, the closest functional networked J1772 is almost a hundred miles away from me.

Many of the RV parks where I have charged (not camped) do not have individual meters at their short-term sites, those most convenient for BEV charging-only. I'd like to be able to show them a cheap option to meter kWh. Several have already expressed an interest in these for their RV business, as they are already aware that electricity costs can eat up a lot of profit, when a huge RV plugs in on a hot summer day.

In concept, a 240 V kill-a-watt, 50 amp, would be perfect.

I doubt it would cost much more than the 120V meters to manufacture, but there doesn't seem to be one on the market yet.

i used a 120 V Kill a watt for to monitor my Zenn and looked high and low for a 240 volt option. there were a few similar made for Europe but all required an adapter. since i did not desire a portable option i went with a glass meter inline with the circuit at home.

i think as EVs populate, someone will come out with one...just gotta wait it out a bit. the link provided does look good though

edatoakrun said:
You can add cheap and durable, to thread title.

Just visited the MNL Advertiser's site for this one:

http://www.ekmmetering.com/ekm-metering-products/electric-meters-kwh-meters/basic-kwh-meter-100a-120-240-volt-3-wire-60hz-ekm-25ids.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would be interested in a kWh meter I could install on a stub cable to put in-line on my 240V 16A EVSE at home and when traveling.

Not sure if $90 quite meets my price point, particularly in light of my major concern, durability.

The spec sheet on this one suggests, to me, that it might not be durable enough for mobile use.

Anyone have experience with the EKM, or others meters, in this application?

I just ordered one--it should be durable enough for portable use as long as you do not expose it to rain. If it needs to be out in the rain, you need to mount it in a weatherproof box and have some way to keep the plugs/receptacles from getting wet.

Gerry

The kWh meter shipped from china on 6/28, received it on 7/7. The meter will only take up to #10 stranded wire. Now I just have to cut a hole in the cover and this project is done. Here are pictures of it installed in my SPX EVSE.

376217_10151016644693704_718712889_n.jpg

428832_10151016646593704_1577509594_n.jpg

Back