100% charge, a/c on = -20 miles?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrIanB

Dang, just did a full charge to 100%, back out of driveway and GOM reads 130 miles in ECO mode and -20 if I turn the a/c on???? Never noticed before it would be such a drop off for a/c on full charge considering how much efficient it is than the heater. Decided to roll windows as it was windy and nice outside today.

Anyone else noticed such drop off on full charge?

Ian B

Was the message "A/C" on, or "CC" on?

Apparently "A/C" can mean Air Conditioning (air cooling to us), but can mean the Conditioning of Air (heating and/or cooling) to the Japanese translators.

Generally, having the Climate Control (the Conditioning of Air) ON means that the Heater, Air Cooler, or both might be ON, possibly using a substantial amount of energy, thus the large reduction-of-range estimate.

Looking at the "Energy" (usage) screen, one can see that Air-Cooling requires little power, and Air-Heating usually requires substantial power.

Now it says While on ECO drive mode, a/c off and the message reads Turn on climate control for -15 miles. Went to get dinner and range dropped from 130 to 105.

Hit the a/c Auto button and range in ECO drops to 90(-15). Both a/c and auto lights are ON.

If I hit the a/c button to where it is not lit, both a/c and AUTO lights go off but still displays, turn off climate control for +15 miles.

Does it sound right with that info?????

Thanks,

Ian B

Maybe the Leaf calculates how much energy the CC will use based on data from the previous use of the CC. , not the instant data. Since the winter data includes the heater, the Leaf might over estimate the energy usage, until the AC only usage is considered.

I kind of noticed a too big of a drop with the CC on while the temperature in the car was set at 60 and outside was 55 and sunny. The heater did not come on, but the range drop seemed to match the drop when from the cold days. DTE is called GOM for a reason :) .

planet4ever said:
As camasleaf suggests, those numbers are all nonsense (GOM = GuessOMeter). You are better off ignoring them completely, at least until the battery is nearly empty.

Ray

Ah, another GuessOmeter discussion. I wonder how it will end?

dog-chasing-tail.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
Ah, another GuessOmeter discussion. I wonder how it will end?
Unfortunately, GOM is all that a normal Leaf user has ... hopefully Nissan will make it better.

You have fuel bars and the miles per kWh.
They are just harder for the average person to understand.

Actually, the GoM can be very useful if one understands
what it is trying to tell you. It estimates the remaining Range
if you keep driving the same way that you have driven recently.

MrIanB said:
Dang, just did a full charge to 100%, back out of driveway and GOM reads 130 miles in ECO mode and -20 if I turn the a/c on???? Never noticed before it would be such a drop off for a/c on full charge considering how much efficient it is than the heater. Decided to roll windows as it was windy and nice outside today.

The key element here is that your GOM was reading 130 miles. Since the A/C usage is calculated as a percentage not as a finite amount of mileage, the number seemed high. For example, had your GOM been reading 100 miles at the beginning (based on prior driving) then the drop might have only been 15 miles. Had your GOM been reading 85 miles after a full charge, the drop might have been 10 miles.

Remember that the GOM can show anything on a full charge, depending on how your were driving right before you parked it and charged it up. I've seen numbers as high as 125 miles and as low as 80 miles on a full charge depending on different conditions.

I have noted that the "turn off CC to gain x miles" is highly dependent on what you were last doing with the Climate Control. For example: One morning I got in to the car and selected just fan with the temp all the way down. The power screen confirmed no power consumption so the heater was indeed off. However, it was showing that I could gain 25 miles by turning off CC! Then I remembered that when I got home the previous night the heater had been on for most of that trip and since it had been raining I had been using defrost with high power usage... Over the next 20 miles or so of driving the "gain" figure slowly ratcheted down until it was at a normalish 2 miles at my destination. So, the CC gain computation appears to have a long memory...

Back