Maximum tire width

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedLeader

Yesterday I decided to attempt to use the break in the weather (Seattle area where a dry day on the weekend is a rare thing in March) to see if I could find the limits of the maximum allowable tire width the Leaf. The maximum tire width is not relevant to anything other than those who may be thinking of attempting to use their Leaf in an HPDE. With the spring coming up and the local motorsports season following, it’s been on my mind. I only did an analysis of the fronts since the rears are a very simple matter which I can do at some other time. I was fully expecting to encounter problems even with mounting but was rather surprised with what I found.

On the right you have the Leaf’s OEM wheel & tire:
Wheel: Enkei OEM - 16x6.5 ET+40mm
Tire: Bridgestone Ecopia - 205/55-16

On the right is the front tires from my track car:
Wheel: Sparco Racing - 18x9.5 ET+35mm
Tire: Nitto NT01 - 275/35-18

20120303_154225.jpg

The only relevant part of the track wheels for this experiment is the offset. The tire when measured from the outside tire walls is 11” wide, more than 3” wider than the OEM tires. The Nitto’s diameter is about 3/8” larger than the OEM. The Nitto is worn down about 4 to 5/32nds from when it was new. The dia of a 275/35-18 tire is a little too large for what you would want to use, but for the purpose of this experiment it would be able to indicate to me where the limitations are. Something to note; even though my track package is massive by comparison to the OEM, they feel almost identical in weight, my track wheel are about 48lbs when the tires were new.

I mounted the tires onto the Leaf, rolled the car back a few feet and then forward again applying the brakes firmly to make sure that the suspension was compressed properly at what should be normal ride height. Surprisingly even with a 275 tire and +5 mm within its offset there was about 20mm still left between the strut and the tire. This is very much in line w/ the typical Nissan standard of allowing for much larger room in the wheel wells as if they were thinking of putting a much larger package under the fenders. The SUV like suspension clearance around the fenders made it very easy to check for clearance issues and visually the gap between the fenders is still very obvious even with the larger dia tire. It appears that Nissan choose to run the car about 1” higher than what the sheet metal of the body was originally designed for.

20120303_161843.jpg

Next I checked lock-to-lock. Again I was surprised to what it allowed. Everything seemed to look well.

20120303_160408.jpg

20120303_160436.jpg

The only possible problem that I could find in the static check of the setup was that the tire stuck out of the fender about ¾”.

20120303_160617.jpg

At this point I was confident that a test drive would be acceptable. An EV lends itself very well to dynamic analysis in that its operation is smooth and relatively silent. Increased road noise from the larger contact surface and tire construction was there from the start. As the tires got up to temp, the sound of debris, picked up by the tires, hitting the fender liner was far more audible than in any ICE since it is usually drowned out by the engine. As far as overall grip, it was much more improved as expected. However also as expected, the handling was terrible. Very unbalanced as the rears were all over the place. I’ve never been a fan of FWD cars and that just made the feel all the more unpleasant. As much as I tried to cause some kind of rubbing, I could not. I was surprised but I should mention that I did not get the tires up to optimal temp, I did not hit the bump stops and I was not driving at 10/10th like at an autocross practice.

Does this mean that since the 275 width tires were sticking out of the fenders and there was no rubbing that a 315(or wider) width tire would work? No, at full lock the forward and aft clearances were around 1/2 and inch. This would mean that a tire could probably not be wider than what I ran.

20120303_160351.jpg

Ideally, it would see a 265 width tire w/ the proper offset fitting entirely under the front fenders on the stock suspension, which may be necessary depending on your class rules and/or if you want to stay street legal. No saying for sure what interference issues would be like if the car was lowered, but initially looks like an inch should not affect it at all.

At the moment I am running a 9" wheel with a 225 width tire and 32mm offset up front and 30mm in the rear. Clearance is ok because of the stretched tire fitment.

I'm working on an autocross setup and I'm leaning towards a 225/50/16.

^ you're running lowered, right? How much lower than stock are you?

RedLeader - LOL! :D That's insane! To think a 275 width tire could be put onto a Leaf? I see this as a very positive thing. There's a couple of "issues" that need to be solved about the Leaf and when/if they are there might be a place of it in grassroots motorsports. Do you have a plan to toss the R-comps from the rear of your track car on the Leaf also to find the limits of the rears? Did you try out the Motegi's yet? If so, how's the car feel like w/ R-comps on all 4 corners? What you're doing is great for the part of the Leaf's image that only a small few on this forum are doing to address. You are improving the "breed" for racing. ;) I hear ya when it comes for the little love for FWD. Nothing beats RWD when it comes to driving enjoyment.

Drivesolo said:
^ you're running lowered, right? How much lower than stock are you?

RedLeader - LOL! :D That's insane! To think a 275 width tire could be put onto a Leaf? I see this as a very positive thing. There's a couple of "issues" that need to be solved about the Leaf and when/if they are there might be a place of it in grassroots motorsports. Do you have a plan to toss the R-comps from the rear of your track car on the Leaf also to find the limits of the rears? Did you try out the Motegi's yet? If so, how's the car feel like w/ R-comps on all 4 corners? What you're doing is great for the part of the Leaf's image that only a small few on this forum are doing to address. You are improving the "breed" for racing. ;) I hear ya when it comes for the little love for FWD. Nothing beats RWD when it comes to driving enjoyment.

Yeah about 2.25F/2.5R" drop at the moment but my suspension is really firm so there isn't whole lot of wheel travel.

Nader,
I ended up getting a 17x7.5 set w/ 225/45-17 tires that I still have yet to try out. Had I done this experiment sooner I may have opted for wider wheels and tires for a track set. But I plan to use the wheels for street use later so I will probably stay at 225/45-17 once the R-comps are discarded. Did you choose to go w/ a 225 tire for the stretch look or to keep rolling resistance to a minimum? I'd be interested to know what type of tires you're running and how it effects your range.

Drivesolo,
LOL...we'll see if the Leaf has potential to be another Civic or end up being just a mass market EV. There's a couple of windows coming up and like I promised, I'll keep you update on my plans. Nope, haven't tried the Motegis yet. Sunday was great weather-wise but I was doing family stuff. I don't think that my rear track tires would fit on the Leaf, they're bigger and wider than the fronts, it wouldn't be worth the effort.

It's an interesting point being that the LEAF weighs 3600lbs, you WILL need a decent contact patch to get high grip out of it. Tossing any concerns for range out the window and just looking at it from a dimensional standpoint, it is pretty shocking what you can stuff in a LEAFs wheel well.

With say, the RSR iBest setup, what would be a max width and offset for a LEAF? I put a pen to paper and came up with 8.5" +45 front and 9.5" +43 rear. If you keep in mind the stock wheel lips are inset from the top fender lip by 1" front and 1 7/16" rear, this would place the new wheel lips in-line below the fenders. IMHO, as soon as you go beyond flush the "moon buggy" look takes over so I treat the top center fender line as something you never cross.

So with a target width and offset you could run 18" easy. I really like the look of the new Rays Gramlights 57Xtreme. They do not have an 18" rear in this offset... but they do have 19's in both +45 and +43! Since we already tossed out range concerns we might as well toss out ride quality as well. So if we went all in psycho I came up with;

Front - 19x8.5 +45, 215/35-19
Rear - 19x9.5 +43, 235/35-19

You could go with a wider tire but then you would be well outside the overall wheel dia of 24.9".

Here is a CRZ running a similar spec in Gun Metal finish;
http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/jdmwheel/6799502616/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FYI, I'm running 18x9 with a 32mm front offset and a 30mm rear offset with a 225/40/18. For the refuel event in July I'll probably be looking at a set of Falken Azenis 225/40/18 or a 235-40-18. The 235 will require a slight roll to the front fender. Also the amount of camber you are running up front makes a big difference on how much tire you can fit.

nader said:
FYI, I'm running 18x9 with a 32mm front offset and a 30mm rear offset with a 225/40/18. For the refuel event in July I'll probably be looking at a set of Falken Azenis 225/40/18 or a 235-40-18. The 235 will require a slight roll to the front fender. Also the amount of camber you are running up front makes a big difference on how much tire you can fit.

Yes, Nader your ride looks great! Loving the RPF1's on a LEAF. You should post the pics.

nader said:
The 235 will require a slight roll to the front fender.

It's very interesting that the LEAF already has a rolled front fender. The rear even has a blade style lip to it. Doesn't get any better than that for clearance. Is this typical for Nissan cars??? From some of the comments on "stance" tuner sites, kids are asking for pics of slammed LEAFs already. Was sorta surprised to see this but you just know it's gonna happen, I don't know when, but some kid is gonna do it.

Back