Aero wheel covers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubo

Apparently some Prius owners go for these

http://www.hubcapmike.com/rdc02-16.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We haven't actually placed the order for the LEAF (we are debating whether we should wait for the 2013 model or not), but I thought the LEAF comes with alloy wheels as a standard feature? If so, you wouldn't be able to use these wheel covers as they are meant for plain steel rims.

I do like them and I these are the ones I was planning on putting on my set of steel wheels and snow tires. But with the way the weather has been, I never needed the snow tires on this year!

I think that unless you are driving and living in the right conditions, this may not be for everyone. Vehicles are designed to allow air to pass through the wheels. Preventing the air from passing through the wheels will hinder the cooling of the brakes if used often (i.e.: city driving in a hilly area). Also prolonged use in wet climates could cause moisture to stay on the components w/ in the wheels accelerating corrosion especially in areas that use salt on the roads in the winter.

Most drivers do not know what brake fade feels like. Chances are w/ something like this in hilly places like Seattle, they would get a relatively abrupt introduction. Wheels on all modern cars have to allow airflow, it's what cools the brake components that are responsible for brake fade (rotors, pads & fluid). Its probably not done any longer but in the past when drum brakes were common, some wheels were actually designed to promote airflow rather than prevent it.

Driving a Prius -- or any car for that matter -- for better than EPA fuel economy
typically involves using a tactic called "driving without brakes." Of course you do
have brakes, but you allow for some extra space ahead and try to anticipate stops
well ahead so that you can glide up to it. Better yet, if you're good enough or lucky
enough to time stop lights correctly, you roll right on through.

Driven like this the Prius brakes get hardly warm to the touch.
Granted, regen has a lot to do with it. Driven carefully, the hydraulic brakes only
come into play as the car slows to ~8 MPH. Quite a few Prius drivers have installed
aero wheel covers without brake overheating issues.

Wouldn't this same situation also apply to the LEAF?

It's also a frequent DIY modification at ecomodder.com for non-hybrid
cars. (They prefer flat disks made from Coroplast plastic; think political campaign
signs.) Other than some creativity needed in installing the full covers, I can't recall
any difficulties or reported instances of brake overheating.

At any rate, you pays your money and takes your chances.

FWIW, I drive an '08 Prius with 50.2 MPG over 65K miles.

In some severe (usually downhill) situations (with high SOC)
the LEAF has NO other braking than its mechanical brakes ...
which WILL get VERY hot.

Sufficient ventilation is probably critical in these situations,
so these covers are probably not a good idea, with the
possible exception of driving ONLY in flatland.

I'm looking into this also for a setup that would yield maximum highway range. I already have the car lowered and I'll set the alignment for maximum efficiency. I'm also searching for a 15x6 wheel that will clear the front brakes and then plan to run the 15" snap on mooneyes with a 196/65/16 LRR tire.

My goal is 5.0 mi/kwh but I'd be happy with mid 4's at 65mph.

stay tuned!

nader said:
I'm looking into this also for a setup that would yield maximum highway range. I already have the car lowered and I'll set the alignment for maximum efficiency. I'm also searching for a 15x6 wheel that will clear the front brakes and then plan to run the 15" snap on mooneyes with a 196/65/16 LRR tire.
I wonder if steelies would clear the brakes in the front? They would be cheap which is a plus...

nader said:
My goal is 5.0 mi/kwh but I'd be happy with mid 4's at 65mph.
Besides the aero wheel package and lowered suspension, what else do you have in mind to get 5 mi/kWh? You're going to need a 15-20% reduction in drag to hit your target - I don't see that happening without some significant aero mods.

Honestly beyond that I'm not sure. Maybe the cheap stuff like a tapejob here and there and removing the easiest stuff to removing some interior weight (seats). This would be for testing purposes only. I am also looking into a lightweight brake setup that would fit the stock wheels. A 2-piece rotor with stock calipers would be the simplest.

"Nissan LEAF Aero Style"

forococheselectricos2.jpg

motorward

But no claim of better aero efficiency.

TonyWilliams said:
You've got a 5-8% future drag reduction by putting a tail on the car.
You're also restricted to parking in RV / boat / big rig parking spaces...

lenny said:
TonyWilliams said:
You've got a 5-8% future drag reduction by putting a tail on the car.
You're also restricted to parking in RV / boat / big rig parking spaces...

It occurs to me that an inflatable tail would cut drag and could be collapsed for parking or slow speed use.
Something like a larger and longer taper version of the rear corner of a zodiac boat.

Back