User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 5703
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

glow wire mod for charge ports?

Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:54 am

I've been considering glow wire (below) as a nice way to dress up the charge port while providing some light and guidance. Seems like it would fit nicely into the square grooves around each port without mechanical interference. Then wire for a temporary-on state when the lid opens.

Image

My only concern would be whether this could have any possible EMI interference issues with the coupling or sensing of the charge signal? The glow wire is powered by a low-current AC (~200mA) of 120v somewhere between 400 and 4000hz from what I've read.

Any advice from those with more electronics experience would be welcome.

Thanks!
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

EricBayArea
Posts: 672
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:41 am
Delivery Date: 08 Oct 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA

Re: glow wire mod for charge ports?

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:22 pm

Looks pretty cool. I went with what some others on here have:

Image

It has a very strong magnet on the back and has options for the lights to stay on. I put it on the lid so it shines down on the ports. The LED swivels so it can be pointed towards the charge ports. It's kind of hard to find now as I think they might have discontinued it. However, these look pretty neat.
Color: Cayenne Red
Plate: I PLGIN

User avatar
Stanton
Forum Supporter
Posts: 2217
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 am
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458
Location: Plano, TX
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: glow wire mod for charge ports?

Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:50 pm

Nubo wrote:I've been considering glow wire (below) as a nice way to dress up the charge port while providing some light and guidance. Seems like it would fit nicely into the square grooves around each port without mechanical interference. Then wire for a temporary-on state when the lid opens.
How about some details/spec or link to actual product example? Looks interesting but I don't see how you're going to power it.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
Lithium Pros 12v LiFePO4 battery w/Antigravity Battery Tracker
FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 5703
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: glow wire mod for charge ports?

Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:56 pm

Stanton wrote:
Nubo wrote:I've been considering glow wire (below) as a nice way to dress up the charge port while providing some light and guidance. Seems like it would fit nicely into the square grooves around each port without mechanical interference. Then wire for a temporary-on state when the lid opens.
How about some details/spec or link to actual product example? Looks interesting but I don't see how you're going to power it.
Here's the item I've been looking at on glowire.com

http://store.glowire.com/products/12-Vo ... -Play.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Uses 12V source. Could go with Orange and Lime for J1772 and ChaDemo respectively, or stick with Blue to compliment the charging status lights. :)

Image

I was considering rigging some kind of switch to close or pulse when the charge port door opens, and use that signal to energize a timed relay:

http://www.amazon.com/DEI-528T-Pulse-Ti ... B0009IR4AC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Configurable from 0 to 90 seconds duration.
Last edited by Nubo on Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 5703
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: glow wire mod for charge ports?

Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:04 pm

EricBayArea wrote:Looks pretty cool. I went with what some others on here have:

{img}

It has a very strong magnet on the back and has options for the lights to stay on. I put it on the lid so it shines down on the ports. The LED swivels so it can be pointed towards the charge ports. It's kind of hard to find now as I think they might have discontinued it. However, these look pretty neat.
Thanks, I couldn't find it at Lowes and since it was the first week of ownership I didn't have the patience to order so I just picked up a small stick-on light with a manual switch. But I'm thinking the TRON look would be cool :)
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10091
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: glow wire mod for charge ports?

Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:40 pm

Nubo wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/DEI-528T-Pulse-Ti ... B0009IR4AC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Configurable from 0 to 90 seconds duration.
15amp? We can put flood lights out there!

http://www.deiproducts.com/servlet/the- ... 28T/Detail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



 
Pulse Timer Relay 528T DEI **NEW**

Price: $9.75
Retail: $14.95
You Save: $5.20

NEW 528T Pulse Timer Relay by Directed Electronics
An adjustable (1 to 60 seconds) timer-controlled 15A relay. Activates with a (+) or (-) trigger input. For temporary circuit connect/disconnect applications
All items are in stock and ships within 24 hours.

jimcmorr
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:41 am
Delivery Date: 02 Apr 2012
Leaf Number: 018747
Location: GA

Re: glow wire mod for charge ports?

Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:17 am

Can this glowwire be cut to length?
Jim M
res: 25APR10 #612239F1 Glacier Pearl SV
Ordered: 03Mar12 Cayenne Red SL
VIN: 18747 - pickup: Mon 2Apr12
22Apr14: over 20K mi / lost 1 capacity bar Mar 2014
It isn't 100% electric if you have to put gas in it.

Danal
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:07 pm
Delivery Date: 29 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 3914

Re: glow wire mod for charge ports?

Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:45 am

jimcmorr wrote:Can this glowwire be cut to length?
Yes, as long as the cut does not short the center wire and current drain wire in the plastic housing. And you insulate the cut end.


And... just for more data... hobby stores carry a lot of small lighting products, for flying radio control models at night:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/stor ... rentCat=58" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.glowire.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2011 Pearl White SL + QC
Bought off lot Oct 29, 2011
EVSE Upgrade charger; self-installed 240V J6-20 receptacle in garage
Seat Extension Brackets

User avatar
Stanton
Forum Supporter
Posts: 2217
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 am
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458
Location: Plano, TX
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: glow wire mod for charge ports?

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:55 am

OK, so I like the (blue) Glowire idea and see the relay could turn on/off the light, but:

1) What would you use as a trigger?
2) What kind of a mess would it be to connect the 12V driver to the battery AND the Glowire??

Wish there was some sort of self-contained battery powered version (similar to these stick-on lights).
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
Lithium Pros 12v LiFePO4 battery w/Antigravity Battery Tracker
FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

kevin672
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:52 pm
Delivery Date: 24 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1589
Location: So Cal.

Re: glow wire mod for charge ports?

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:17 am

Stanton wrote:OK, so I like the (blue) Glowire idea and see the relay could turn on/off the light, but:

1) What would you use as a trigger?
2) What kind of a mess would it be to connect the 12V driver to the battery AND the Glowire??

Wish there was some sort of self-contained battery powered version (similar to these stick-on lights).
Isn't there already something in place for the factory charge port light? It's available in Japan, but not the US for some reason. If we could find out more about how the factory light works, maybe you only need to tap into an existing system? Can someone with the service manual see if it describes the charge port light?

Return to “Accessories / Mods”