glow wire mod for charge ports?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubo

I've been considering glow wire (below) as a nice way to dress up the charge port while providing some light and guidance. Seems like it would fit nicely into the square grooves around each port without mechanical interference. Then wire for a temporary-on state when the lid opens.

Mini_el_wire_blue.jpg

My only concern would be whether this could have any possible EMI interference issues with the coupling or sensing of the charge signal? The glow wire is powered by a low-current AC (~200mA) of 120v somewhere between 400 and 4000hz from what I've read.

Any advice from those with more electronics experience would be welcome.

Thanks!

Looks pretty cool. I went with what some others on here have:

046135722455xl.jpg

It has a very strong magnet on the back and has options for the lights to stay on. I put it on the lid so it shines down on the ports. The LED swivels so it can be pointed towards the charge ports. It's kind of hard to find now as I think they might have discontinued it. However, these look pretty neat.

Nubo said:
I've been considering glow wire (below) as a nice way to dress up the charge port while providing some light and guidance. Seems like it would fit nicely into the square grooves around each port without mechanical interference. Then wire for a temporary-on state when the lid opens.

How about some details/spec or link to actual product example? Looks interesting but I don't see how you're going to power it.

Stanton said:
Nubo said:

How about some details/spec or link to actual product example? Looks interesting but I don't see how you're going to power it.

Here's the item I've been looking at on glowire.com

http://store.glowire.com/products/12-Volt-10%27-Plug-%26-Play.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Uses 12V source. Could go with Orange and Lime for J1772 and ChaDemo respectively, or stick with Blue to compliment the charging status lights. :)

colors.jpg

I was considering rigging some kind of switch to close or pulse when the charge port door opens, and use that signal to energize a timed relay:

http://www.amazon.com/DEI-528T-Pulse-Timer-Relay/dp/B0009IR4AC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Configurable from 0 to 90 seconds duration.

EricBayArea said:
Looks pretty cool. I went with what some others on here have:

{img}

It has a very strong magnet on the back and has options for the lights to stay on. I put it on the lid so it shines down on the ports. The LED swivels so it can be pointed towards the charge ports. It's kind of hard to find now as I think they might have discontinued it. However, these look pretty neat.

Thanks, I couldn't find it at Lowes and since it was the first week of ownership I didn't have the patience to order so I just picked up a small stick-on light with a manual switch. But I'm thinking the TRON look would be cool :)

Nubo said:
http://www.amazon.com/DEI-528T-Pulse-Timer-Relay/dp/B0009IR4AC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Configurable from 0 to 90 seconds duration.

15amp? We can put flood lights out there!

http://www.deiproducts.com/servlet/the-40/Pulse-Timer-Relay-528T/Detail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pulse Timer Relay 528T DEI **NEW**

Price: $9.75
Retail: $14.95
You Save: $5.20

NEW 528T Pulse Timer Relay by Directed Electronics
An adjustable (1 to 60 seconds) timer-controlled 15A relay. Activates with a (+) or (-) trigger input. For temporary circuit connect/disconnect applications
All items are in stock and ships within 24 hours.

jimcmorr said:
Can this glowwire be cut to length?

Yes, as long as the cut does not short the center wire and current drain wire in the plastic housing. And you insulate the cut end.

And... just for more data... hobby stores carry a lot of small lighting products, for flying radio control models at night:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?catname=Night+Flying+Accs.&idCategory=280&ParentCat=58" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.glowire.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OK, so I like the (blue) Glowire idea and see the relay could turn on/off the light, but:

1) What would you use as a trigger?
2) What kind of a mess would it be to connect the 12V driver to the battery AND the Glowire??

Wish there was some sort of self-contained battery powered version (similar to these stick-on lights).

Stanton said:
OK, so I like the (blue) Glowire idea and see the relay could turn on/off the light, but:

1) What would you use as a trigger?
2) What kind of a mess would it be to connect the 12V driver to the battery AND the Glowire??

Wish there was some sort of self-contained battery powered version (similar to these stick-on lights).

Isn't there already something in place for the factory charge port light? It's available in Japan, but not the US for some reason. If we could find out more about how the factory light works, maybe you only need to tap into an existing system? Can someone with the service manual see if it describes the charge port light?

Iirc, the JDM light looked like a self-contained stick-on unit but I could be wrong.

I was thinking along the lines of a Mercury switch on the charge lid but not sure if that would lead to false triggers over bumps, etc.. But I'm sure something reasonable can be implemented either on the lid mechanism, or perhaps at the latch or even a toggle switch on the port-open lever.

My only real concern at this point continues to if there is any remote possibility that fields created would somehow interfere with the charge negotiation.

No, EL (electroluminescent) wire or it's inverter will have no effect on the charging system.

The worst it might do is interfere a bit with AM radio.

-Phil

Thanks Phil.

So it dawned on me as I was looking for an appropriate switch....

Since I need to implement a switch anyway, why not just take this thing to the next level. Make use of one of the unused dash switch locations, and have a switch to activate a solenoid to pop the hatch! That could be the signal for the timed relay. Then you've got an improved hatch-popper and tricked-out lighted charge ports to boot!

I think I've got me a project. Maybe I shouldn't have leased :p

Cool beans, nubo! :D Keep us posted on your progress! I thought a solenoid hatch poper would be a good idea myself.(for when I finally can buy a LEAF)

Back