tjbrinson
Delivery Date: 17 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 6234

Has anyone installed a ceiling mount DVD player

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:00 pm

I'm wondering if it's possible to change my factor installed ceiling mounted light switch with a ceiling mounted DVD player. I'm worried that it may not work since the light bulb is listed as 8watts (not sure what the fuse is), and the DVD player requires 12v DC. Does anyone have any experience with this?

coolfilmaker
Delivery Date: 29 Jul 2011

Re: Has anyone installed a ceiling mount DVD player

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:08 pm

tjbrinson wrote:I'm wondering if it's possible to change my factor installed ceiling mounted light switch with a ceiling mounted DVD player. I'm worried that it may not work since the light bulb is listed as 8watts (not sure what the fuse is), and the DVD player requires 12v DC. Does anyone have any experience with this?
An iPad only uses about 2.5 watts to run (And a max of 10 watts while charging). An iPad mount is also the only thing I'd ever consider mounting.

If you have your heart set on a dvd player you could probably just put in a higher power fuse in the fuse box if it requires more than 8 watts.

tjbrinson

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:29 pm

coolfilmaker wrote:An iPad only uses about 2.5 watts to run (And a max of 10 watts while charging). An iPad mount is also the only thing I'd ever consider mounting.

If you have your heart set on a dvd player you could probably just put in a higher power fuse in the fuse box if it requires more than 8 watts.
I was thinking of changing the fuse, but the owner's manual says...
"CAUTION - Never use a fuse of a higher or lower amperage rating than that specified on the fuse box cover. This could damage the electrical system or cause a fire."

I mean, it sounds like a 'CYA' statement, but I didn't want to chance it unless someone else has tried it before me. I don't know what amp the fuse is set for, and if I change the fuse, will the wire to the ceiling mounted DVD handle the extra voltage.

ebill3
Delivery Date: 15 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7964

Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:43 pm

DO NOT change the fuse. A fuse is in the circuit to protect the wire - prevent the wire from getting so hot it ignites. You are not concerned with "extra voltage", but increased current (Amps). The light is 12 volts, the DVD player is 12 volts.

You need to know two things right now:

1) What is the current (Amps) requirement of the proposed DVD player?

2) What else is on that fused circuit? I haven't looked, but I think the owner's manual will say what fuse does what.
All electric - red LEAF, green Tesla S. No ICE.

coolfilmaker
Delivery Date: 29 Jul 2011

Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:50 pm

ebill3 wrote:DO NOT change the fuse. A fuse is in the circuit to protect the wire - prevent the wire from getting so hot it ignites. You are not concerned with "extra voltage", but increased current (Amps). The light is 12 volts, the DVD player is 12 volts.

2) What else is on that fused circuit? I haven't looked, but I think the owner's manual will say what fuse does what.
If you check the wire guage in the ceiling light and make sure that it is adequate then you should be fine changing the fuse. Just don't hook a toaster up.

ebill3
Delivery Date: 15 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7964

Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:25 pm

coolfilmaker wrote:
ebill3 wrote:DO NOT change the fuse. A fuse is in the circuit to protect the wire - prevent the wire from getting so hot it ignites. You are not concerned with "extra voltage", but increased current (Amps). The light is 12 volts, the DVD player is 12 volts.

If you check the wire guage in the ceiling light and make sure that it is adequate then you should be fine changing the fuse. Just don't hook a toaster up.
That is really bad advice. Do NOT change the fuse. Nissan is not playing CYA.

Bill
All electric - red LEAF, green Tesla S. No ICE.

tjbrinson

Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:56 pm

ebill3 wrote: 1) What is the current (Amps) requirement of the proposed DVD player?

1) I'm guessing since I don't know have the product in hand to check, but I figure it's probably 1.7-3.5amps (I base that on 20-40 watts for portable dvd players).

2) unfortunately the owner's manual does not indicate what else is on the fused circuit. Or at least I can't find it.

keydiver
Delivery Date: 08 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16484

Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:18 pm

Even the smallest fuse in the fuse box is 10 amps, way more than any DVD player. Just hook it up, and it should work just fine.
2012 Glacier Pearl SL - Delivered December 8, 2011
10kW Solar PV for recharging!
2006 Prius with Hymotion 5kWh PHEV upgrade
Tesla 70D | Titanium Metallic | Matte Obeche Wood Décor| All Glass Panoramic Roof
Tesla Model 3 Pre-Ordered!

DoxyLover
Delivery Date: 16 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 9214

Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:44 pm

keydiver wrote:Even the smallest fuse in the fuse box is 10 amps, way more than any DVD player. Just hook it up, and it should work just fine.
Agreed. For those who don't know, you multiply volts and amps to get watts. 12 volts x 10 amps = 120 watts. More than enough.
2011 Brilliant Silver Leaf SL
Reserved, quoted and ordered July 11, 2011
Delivered October 16, 2011 (Na. Plug-In Day)

Return to “Accessories / Mods”