GoPoint GL1 OBD-II for iPhone

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evmike

Has anyone tried the GoPoint GL1? For less than $100 you can use your iPhone to read the OBD-II data port with software included.

http://gopointtech.com/products/gl1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is not clear how much software support would be provided for LEAF unique features.

Got one of these for an earlier vehicle. Doesn't work for the LEAF.
The pinouts aren't quite right and then there's the 12VDC detect that also screws things up.
One further problem, I'm not sure the ELM chip it uses can handle the LEAF CAN-bus rates.
Works great on the '02 Lexus though.

Herm said:
can you reprogram it to read the 281 code?.. that's the state of charge information.
In theory yes. The GoPoint people will even give you some development source code (obj-C) if you sign an NDA.
My problem was with their built-in logic that senses for 12VDC before initializing the HW. That wouldn't work with the LEAF OBD connector. As a result, I couldn't even get it to turn on.
Perhaps with some connector re-wiring and then if the ELM-to-iPhone RS232 is fast enough, one could extract nuggets like SOC. Another project on the shelf for me. But, feel free to tackle it!

Looking at the apps available:

1) Dash Command is $50 in addition to the cable. Most, if not all, of the information shown on the screens in the app store is N/A to the Leaf. Things like fuel trim, transmission gear, engine RPM, and so forth. It might report on a few things that we'd find interesting, but it is very difficult to tell if it will report on ANY of the Leaf codes without spending $150 or more.

2) ReadyLink, which is advertised as a "are you ready for inspection" tool (not a generic scanner) is $4.99. Hmmm... $4.99 for something that is based on scan codes but more limited in functionality? No thanks.

3) GoPoint, and BT1 are at least free, so we could check them out. BT1 is for their BlueTooth scanner only, so that's out. The sample screens for GoPoint seem oriented around gas vehicles as well, but perhaps there is some generic code reading stuff. Maybe.

I downloaded GoPoint and there appears to be no Demo mode. It wants you to create an account, but you can skip that. Attempting to configure the scanner crashes the app. Yes, I don't have the scanner plugged in, but it should say that, not crash. Not a good sign... Attempting a quick scan does say that there is no scanner attached.

So, it is impossible to tell how flexible the app is until you buy the cable. Another bad sign.

If I had an ICE car, I'd consider one of these. For a Leaf, I'd pass at the moment.

These guys look interesting: http://www.autotap.com/product.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Although they don't run on a phone... :)

Back