Badges? We don' need no stinkin' Badges!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingineer

pic

The Rear badge comes off easily. The Front is another story, there is no easy way, but I think the back looks a LOT better like this!

-Phil

Here's my front (for reference):

pic

This also shows off my DRL mod which automatically raises the LED low-beams during the day, and turns on the fog lights. (with 120 SMD LEDs each)

-Phil

Ingineer said:
...The Front is another story, there is no easy way...

You saw my charge cover license plate mod, right?:
platemount3.jpg

No more badge there...

By the way, can you make me one of these?:
multij.jpg

2 or 3 6.6kW chargers would do me a lot more good than the mythical CHAdeMO...

TEG said:
You saw my charge cover license plate mod, right?:
No more badge there...
Yeah, looks good on black, probably not so much on white. Plus the !@#$%^ dealer had already drilled a bunch of big holes in my bumper to install the plate bracket before I could tell them not to.

TEG said:
By the way, can you make me one of these?:
[image]

2 or 3 6.6kW chargers would do me a lot more good than the mythical CHAdeMO...
Well, on the plus side, I'd sell a lot more EVSE's! =)

-Phil

Very pimp! I like that a lot. Was it difficult to get the plate contoured? Do you experience any problems w/ condensation happening behind it?

I think the badge is fine.... but should be color cordinated with the vehicle.
The blue does not seem right on my red car, white/black/silver might be better with just chrome.

OrientExpress said:
Phil:

How about a DIY on how you did the DRLs.
As I mentioned in the other DRL thread; It's messy right now but it works. I think this can be done entirely through the CAN bus/K line, so I'm going to try to figure this out before I tell people to do a bunch of difficult things.

Also, the LED retrofit in the fogs involved removal of the lamp units and grinding with an air-powered die-grinder. Not exactly and easy DIY! I bet there is a better retrofit available.

-Phil

I removed all the rear and side badges over 4 months ago, posted about it in the ELECTRIC badge thread... I prefer the look over any badges:

5945092847_f2684e9453_b.jpg

5945090835_722fcd2c9f_b.jpg

If I were to run any badges I would consider the LEAF and ELECTRIC like you have done. The Nissan "hamburger" and Zero Emission (improper grammer) badges are annoying to me.

And yes, the LEDs in the fogs can be done with replacement bulbs and no grinding, did mine the second week I owned the car.

Skywagon said:
I removed all the rear and side badges over 4 months ago, posted about it in the ELECTRIC badge thread... I prefer the look over any badges:

[SNIP]

If I were to run any badges I would consider the LEAF and ELECTRIC like you have done. The Nissan "hamburger" and Zero Emission (improper grammer) badges are annoying to me.

And yes, the LEDs in the fogs can be done with replacement bulbs and no grinding, did mine the second week I owned the car.
Nice! Which LED units did you use? I got the 120 LED variant. Seems well made, but it's BIG.

-Phil

This is what I initially used for the fog light replacements. They are a 68 LED version. They fit directly and the polarity matches that of the Leaf plug. The color temperature is the same as the LED head lights.
Since I later added the LED DRL add-ons separately, and thus no longer needed the fog lights to function as DRLs, I have changed them over to deep amber bulbs (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002E2WMWG/ref=oh_o01_s00_i01_details" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) which is more in keeping with a fog light mission.

I have the LED fog lights available if someone wants them at a good price...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260697246344?item=260697246344&viewitem=&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ingineer said:
Skywagon said:

[SNIP]

Nice! Which LED units did you use? I got the 120 LED variant. Seems well made, but it's BIG.

-Phil

I am running a 28 module per bulb unit, 1/2 watt surface mount per module and they are bright (400 lumen per side). I had a coupon so they were not that bad on price from V-LED's (still more than ebay bulbs): http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/DRLFOG-LED/H11/V-LEDS-HID-6K-WHITE-28-p7662693-1-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Skywagon said:
I am running a 28 module per bulb unit, 1/2 watt surface mount per module and they are bright (400 lumen per side). I had a coupon so they were not that bad on price from V-LED's (still more than ebay bulbs): http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/DRLFOG-LED/H11/V-LEDS-HID-6K-WHITE-28-p7662693-1-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cool, thanks!

Mine looks like is has the same discrete LEDs, but with 120 instead of 28. Though sadly 36 of the LEDs don't stick out enough into the reflector to matter. It's very damn bright! The problem is making it fit.

pic

-Phil

Boomer23 said:
TEG, we need some back story on that triple J plug setup. What the.....?

Just some photoshop work I did to illustrate a concept.

It started with the new law about needing to remain plugged in "for charging purposes" in certain designed spaces, and also the idea that EVSE sharing would be disallowed (because if someone unplugged you, you could then be towed.)

I had this idea that a "hydra-charger" with 2 or 3 J1772 inputs could take advantage of multiple available spots.
You pull up to a lot with 3 available J1772s, and you plug in to all 3 for 3x speed charging. (one in front of your car, and the cables on either side can still reach.)
Then someone else pulls up and sees the note "go ahead and unplug one of my cables if you need it", and takes over one of the spots.
But as long as no one unplugs the last one (perhaps you lock the middle) you are still legally parked and charging.

I have yet to see a CHAdeMO I could use within range of my normal driving. But I frequently see parking lots with multiple available J1772s.
It would be nice to get 3x6.6kW (~20kW) almost quick charging using existing infrastructure.

Ingineer probably would be capable of engineering such a solution, but costs & time might mean it never happens.

TomT said:
I have the LED fog lights available if someone wants them at a good price...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260697246344?item=260697246344&viewitem=&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How many watts do those bulbs pull?

I switched to these for my high beams:
$%28KGrHqMOKpoE6WtzOGFfBOqQq2wm7!~~60_12.JPG

They are brighter than the ones with bunches of little LEDs.
(Still not as bright as a stock halogen, but way less power used and more white of light.)

Back