Quick, No Tool, Access to Emergency Battery Disconnect

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyWilliams

Today's tip:

Replace those three hex head bolts with these easy to remove with your fingers bolts.

If somebody wants some, I'll ship you three for $7 [edit: now stainless steel with red knurled top].

Email me at: TonyWilliams (at) LoveMyLeaf (dot) com

with your address and I'll send you a method to send me the big bucks!

Tony

99934d35.jpg

601e6e62.jpg

LEAF-RedKnurledBolts.jpg

GPowers said:
when would I be accessing the floor panel?
Mainly after an accident.

I've shown my Leaf to all the police that I know (including the 2 in our family) and always show them the location of floor panel. I also have shared with them the First Responder's guide

http://www.nissanusa.com/content/da...eaf/2011/2011-leaf-first-responders-guide.pdf

They quickly understand that they should carry a 10mm wrench in their patrol car, or at least an adjustable wrench, something that they didn't know before. While changing out the bolts to ones like Tony shows would make this unncessary, we all know that the vast majority of owners won't pay any attention to the issue until it's too late.

I'm still amazed that this information is not being adequately distributed to police and fire personnel in the field. They are the ones most at risk.

It's really too bad that there are no international standards on emergency battery disconnect switches as it would make life safer for both the travelling public and our brave first responders.

I was going to just duct-tape a 10mm wrench on the cover plate for the disconnect.
This makes more sense. I carry the first-responders' and towing guide in the car.

myleaf said:
Where do you get those special bolts ?? thanks

My local hardware store has them... just 6mm bolts with a knurled head instead of one that needs a tool.

If somebody wants some, I'll ship you three for $7 [edit: now stainless steel with red knurled top].

Email me at: TonyWilliams (at) LoveMyLeaf (dot) com

with your address and I'll send you a method to send me the big bucks!

Tony

811f3284.jpg

Good idea. I think.

Does the Prius have an "emergency power switch" at about the same location as the LEAF? Quick(er)-release fasteners may not add much if first-responders are not familiar with the switch's location. Without training, they might just be as likely to pop the hood, disconnect the 12V battery, and think they're done!

aqn said:
Good idea. I think.

Does the Prius have an "emergency power switch" at about the same location as the LEAF? Quick(er)-release fasteners may not add much if first-responders are not familiar with the switch's location. Without training, they might just be as likely to pop the hood, disconnect the 12V battery, and think they're done!

Ok, so under the hood, you put a big sticker that says, "the HIGH VOLTAGE disconnect is behind the front seats, on the top of the center hump. Remove carpet access first, then remove 3 screws, remove cover, and disconnect battery."

Aren't the bolts nylon? I know at least one of the auto-show/demo cars had nylon bolts.

I would imagine in any scenario where the emergency disconnect would get used by first responder, they will treat it with all the care and precision of a can opener.

GroundLoop said:
Aren't the bolts nylon? I know at least one of the auto-show/demo cars had nylon bolts.

No, they're regular steel bolts. 6mm thread, 10mm hex head.

I would imagine in any scenario where the emergency disconnect would get used by first responder, they will treat it with all the care and precision of a can opener.

But, I can disconnect it. And, for the first guy who shows up, if I'm incapacitated, and doesn't have a handy "jaws of life", probably would just spend the 43 seconds to spin these three bolts out. That first or second responder may not be a fire or police person.

This is a bit pointless and actually more dangerous. In an accident the battery contractor opens containing ALL HV to the inside of the pack which is why there is no need for easy access to this area. If for some reason the pack were damaged it would be even more dangerous. Clearly Nissan does not want people easily messing with this while the car is in motion. I would not doubt it is listed in the first responders guide but that would purely be for liability. The likely hood of shock in an EV accident is extremely low and access to this is not going to make a difference. This connection splits the pack in half lowering the voltage.

EVDRIVER said:
....Clearly Nissan does not want people easily messing with this while the car is in motion. I would not doubt it is listed in the first responders guide but that would purely be for liability... This connection splits the pack in half lowering the voltage.

Interesting perspective. I'm not sure where the concept of "messing with this while in motion" even entered the equation (surely, I could "mess with it" with a 10mm wrench just about as easily).

Here's what the service manual says about this switch:

Service Plug
• The service plug is included in the Li-ion battery to securely dis- connect the high voltage during high voltage part inspection and maintenance.
• The service plug is installed on the upper surface of the battery pack. The plug can be removed when the leg-room mounted ser- vice plug cover is removed.
• Always use insulating protective equipment when removing and installing service plug.

Yes it's for service so there is no need for thumb screws. If one had kids they would surely find a way to open it when the car is moving.

EMERGENCY SHUT-OFF SYSTEM
The emergency shut-off system is activated and the high-voltage system automatically turns off in the following conditions:
- Front and side collisions in which the air bags are deployed.
- Certain rear collisions.
- Certain EV (Electric Vehicle) system malfunc-tions

For the above collisions and the certain EV (Electric Vehicle) system malfunctions, the READY to drive indicator light will turn off. See “Warning/indicator lights and audible remin- ders” in the “2. Instruments and controls” section.

The emergency shut-off activates for the above collisions to minimize risk of an event that could cause injury or an accident. If the emergency shut-off system activates, the EV system may not switched to READY to drive position, contact a NISSAN certified LEAF dealer. Even if the power switch is switched to READY to drive position, the system may shut-off suddenly. Therefore, drive cautiously to the nearest NISSAN certified LEAF dealer or contact a NISSAN certified LEAF dealer as soon as possible.

For the curious: (Disclaimer: DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE - DON'T IF YOU AREN'T QUALIFIED!)

What's under the cover:
pic

Almost identical to a Prius service plug, only larger, it's a disconnect and fuse assembly. It electrically breaks the pack into halves.

Unplugged!
pic

pic

Here's the 225A fuse inside:
pic

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Herm said:
Humm, an easy place to measure pack current and half voltage.. PHIL!!!
I do not recommend this. The best way is via the CAN bus, as the car has already instrumented well for these metrics.

-Phil

Ok, new possibility.... WELDING !!! Pop out big, fat fuse, insert two cables, and do welding, Mad Max style.

<<<<<----- Yes, KIDDING... DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME.

Back