Installing the Nissan Cargo Organizer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrelmeat

I liked the looks of the Nissan cargo organizer so I ordered one and this morning went to install it. Three pages of instructions but it looked simple enough. At least until I ran into a slight problem with the kit parts.

Part of the install is to thread a supplied bolt through a bar, also provided, and onto a jack nut. You are then supposed to insert that into the 3/8" hole you drilled out and tighten the bolt until the jack nut collapses and stays put.

The jack nut and the bolt/knob that holds the cargo organizer down is 10-24. The provided bolt is 3/8". Nowhere near compatible.

I'm still working on getting that jack nut properly installed.

Anyone else has issues with this?

Carl

Most of us haven't bothered securing the organizer. It stays in place just fine without it and has the added advantage of being removable when you want to.

I ordered mine with the car and they boogered it up (cross-threaded one of the bolts and the other was loose). I ended up removing the hardware they used because it just looked bad. Also, it's nice to be able to remove it when you need extra room.

I'm not sure what they use at the dealership, but I was unable to figure out a way to tighten the jack nut enough.

So, like everyone that replied, I've just dropped the organizer in the trunk area and it seems to be doing just fine.

Carl

I ordered the organizer with the car, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I don't feel much benefit, and it really reduces the usable space for larger cargo. For example, I can't fit my kid's stroller in there with the organizer. I'm thinking about just leaving it out of the car unless it makes sense for a specific trip.

Very true how it reduces the available space. However, I leave it in because it makes it easy to lift out all the crap I like to carry around (water, straps, 120v charger, and, of course, a towel) when I need the full space. Also nice that it provides a nice flat, continuous, surface when the back seats are down if you pick up a large box.

If you have too much stuff in it and it's heavy, you may want to be careful when lifting the whole thing out with all the stuff inside because its frame is a little wimpy due to it being divided in the middle. I can see it easily get bent down the middle and cracked right through that dividing line if there's enough weight inside to flex it bad enough.

I ordered the organizer with the car, and it was installed at Jacksonville.
I've only had it out once, and the way it is secured is aggravatingly difficult to resecure.
I got it secured back, but it is a pain.
I only took it out looking for options Jacksonville had failed to install, and found they had left a bell pepper under it that had rotted and made a mess.
Overall the organizer is OK. I mainly use it as a place to put carryout food so if it spills it doesn't make a mess, or is at least easy to clean up in the plastic organizer bin.
If I take the organizer out again, I may not bother to resecure it as others have suggested. It fits the area well, and not sure there is much real need for it to be secured.

I ordered the cargo organizer with my car, $225 on the sticker. I thought I would need a flat surface for my road bike but it works better without the organizer and my bike duffel bag in the well. The organizer now spends it's time on top of the washer/dryer or chest freezer in the garage. I wonder if I need to keep it for my lease? Maybe I'll sell it or maybe keep it for spillables.

I like things organized into “kits”, and this car more so than most. I have 300’ of SJTO 12 gauge extension cord, that level 1 charger, flashlight, batteries, several books (charge reading), Jacket, gloves, stuff like that. Don’t like it rattling around back there.

I agree with both statements; easy to lift out when you need the space, and be careful when you do because of the way it built it is flimsy. I glued and screwed a piece of wood spanning the gap at the bottom so it doesn’t flex (used cedar. Smells nice and its light weight)

And no, I didn’t “install” the organizer. It stays there just fine.
Oh, and paid $170 for it on E-bay

KillaWhat said:
I like things organized into “kits”, and this car more so than most. I have 300’ of SJTO 12 gauge extension cord,

Somebody with more cord than me! I only have 100 ft of 12 ga, and 100 ft of 10.

L6-20's on all ends.

That's all well and good guys, but mine came with and I had to take it out recently to fit some baggage. I would love to see that 3 page manual because I can't for the life of me figure out how to put it back again; how can I thread that screw into a hole I can't see when the unit is installed. Help?

TimeHorse said:
That's all well and good guys, but mine came with and I had to take it out recently to fit some baggage. I would love to see that 3 page manual because I can't for the life of me figure out how to put it back again; how can I thread that screw into a hole I can't see when the unit is installed. Help?
As I previously stated, "the way it is secured is aggravatingly difficult to resecure".
Just takes a lot of trial and error.
Probably took me near an hour to get the screw to thread in to secure the thing.
Just lots of trial and error.
A truly stupid design for how it is secured.

Actually I found, downloaded and printed the instructions; they're available at the Nissan Help forum: http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/703.

Just make sure you get the second cargo organizer package, the one for the LEAF. The one listed on top is a generic organizer for all Nissan vehicles, the one near the bottom is the official LEAF organizar package install. It's behind a free login so I can't post a direct link but if there's a files section we could consider uploading the PDF.

And you're right, they're not much help. I find the trick is to shove your hand in there and target the hole while you push the screw with it's two white spaces through, guiding it with your crushed hand. You're right, it's tricky but doable. I do wonder if it's threaded though because I never got to a point of resistance.

Back