Avcon charging a Leaf!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earther

Maybe this is old hat for most of you on the forum, but it's certainly a new one on me!
I was in the Fourth St Garage in downtown San Jose Sunday afternoon and saw something I hadn't seen before: a Leaf receiving a charge from one of the old-fashioned "paddle-style" chargers (not sure the official name). It looked they had some sort of home-made adapter device that enabled them to do it (mayhap something concocted by Ingineer?) -- it seemed unusual (to me) so I grabbed a couple photos. (I thought his "warning sign" was particularly humorous too!). Iimbedding the images wasn't seeming to work for me, but hopefully these links work.

here was the power supply device on the garage wall (right next to four "normal" chargepoints, not pictured):
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/paddlebox.jpg/

and here is a shot looking down on the floor of what the black paddle was connected to, which presumably the driver brought:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/707/paddleconverter.jpg/

and lastly, here it is going into the Leaf (via the yellow cord extending out of that converter box)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/840/intoleaf.jpg/

Anyone know if this is getting the equivalent of a L1 or L2 rate of charging? Do a lot of people have these? Are they pricey?

-Steve

That's not a paddle (inductive) connector. It's an Avcon conductive "claw" connector which is the older J1772 standard. Electrically very close to the modern (2010) J1772 used by the LEAF.

In the bag is an Avcon to NEMA 14-50, and most likely an Ingineer-modified cordset. The adapters were sold by the EAA, or by modularevpower on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avcon-Claw-Type-Adapter-old-J1772-/260842097039" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$%28KGrHqYOKjwE4FP74FQ7BOLfKsz,Kg~~0_12.JPG

EVNut details it here:
http://www.evnut.com/charge_adapter_avcon.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I considered buying the same adapter, but most of the Avcons in SoCal seem to be in disrepair.

I don't think that was a paddle-style charger: it looks like an Avcon unit, like the one shown here, borrowed from this page. Notice the similarity in its display:

DS-50_Original_Lg_web.jpg

There are adapter boxes like this for Avcon chargers. However, as this page shows, it is fairly easy to re-wire them with J1772 plugs, so adapters are really just a stopgap solution until that happens:

EVI%20with%20J1772.jpg

That a motion sensitive LED light that many of us have mounted there to make it easier to see the charge port in dim light... You can get it at Lowe's (there is a thread about it on here).

derkraut said:
Interesting....What's that thing-a-ma-jig mounted inside the charging access cover???

Yes, that is a 'standard' EVI (now known as Clipper Creek) ICS200 Avcon based EVSE.
ICS200B.jpg

(Of the type that Costco just dumped en masse.)

And that box in the bag is the EAA Avcon to 14-50 type adapter box.
avcon1450t.jpg

*but* the J1772 plug coming out doesn't look like the one that comes with the Nissan EVSE.
I see two possibilities:
#1: Some other kind of (14-50 based) small EVSE in the bag.
or
#2: They modified the Avcon box to have a J1772 passthrough instead of 14-50->EVSE.
The ICS200 already creates a pilot signal that the Leaf should be able to use, so with the right wiring you could (in theory) make this work without having to use an external EVSE.

Does anyone know anything more about the set-up? Someone willing to step forward and explain more?

earther said:
...Anyone know if this is getting the equivalent of a L1 or L2 rate of charging? Do a lot of people have these? Are they pricey?
-Steve

Almost certainly L2. Probably the "full" 16 amps of 208V or 240V.

I don't think very many people have that particular set-up. You happened on something unusual / interesting.
The Avcon box itself usually goes for $250+, the J1772 cable could be another $200. So yes, someone spent some money there.

(I have been thinking of building something similar, but haven't gotten around to it yet.)

We have already been through this many times. Its an AVCON inlet adapted for a J1772 and costly. There is no need to bother unless you really need a charge where they soon may be a charge no more:) I just sold mine when I got my LEAF.

TEG said:
Almost certainly L2. Probably the "full" 16 amps of 208V or 240V.
I have a similar setup (minus the signage). Yes, the L2 voltage is usually 208V.

I don't think very many people have that particular set-up. You happened on something unusual / interesting.
The Avcon box itself usually goes for $250+, the J1772 cable could be another $200. So yes, someone spent some money there.
I actually go AVCON EVSE to Panasonic EVSE (Rev1 Ingineer mod), so an extra J1772 cable is unnecessary.

TEG said:
#2: They modified the Avcon box to have a J1772 passthrough instead of 14-50->EVSE.
The ICS200 already creates a pilot signal that the Leaf should be able to use, so with the right wiring you could (in theory) make this work without having to use an external EVSE.
It's very likely #2. I'm considering doing the same thing to my Avcon adapter, if it was cost effective. The Avcon wiring should be compatible with the new J1772-2009 standard. Perhaps you have seen this report already, but there are adventurous souls out there that have done a DIY upgrade. All it takes is the new plug and some soldering. I looked at the Avcon inlet and it should be relatively easy to disassemble. I imagine that one would need to remove the pilot emulator circuit from the inlet though, since it may interfere with the Leaf.

TRONZ said:
All I know is I love the Warning Sign in the second pic. :lol:
Phil posted that sign on the forum a while ago. If I recall correctly, it's his original creation and he expressly permitted non-commercial use. Of course, this would imply that the driver of said Leaf was an MNL forum member or perhaps even the Ingineer himself! Gotta love the drama and suspense on this forum ;-)

Click to open original thread

I have been using an AVCON adapter to charge my LEAF for several months now. The part that makes it all happen is a hard to find AVCON receptacle. I have an extra one for sale in excellent condition. PM me if you are interested.

surfingslovak said:
...this would imply that the driver of said Leaf was an MNL forum member or perhaps even the Ingineer himself! Gotta love the drama and suspense on this forum ;-)...

My educated guess: Ingineer doesn't (yet) have a Leaf, but has a close friend with a Leaf who gets to try out all the prototype "toys" for him. That person may be on the forum, but trying to keep a low profile so we don't all besiege him with questions & requests!

TEG said:
My educated guess: Ingineer doesn't (yet) have a Leaf, but has a close friend with a Leaf who gets to try out all the prototype "toys" for him. That person may be on the forum, but trying to keep a low profile so we don't all besiege him with questions & requests!
Excellent point, I saw him post a picture of a Leaf in a recent thread, but it must have been an older photo and someone else's Leaf. If the OP saw the Avcon in the 4th Street and Fernando garage, then I may have a solution for the mystery. Waidy reported on EV Charger Maps that she used an Avcon adapter there on September 25 :) I'm only speculating here, but Phil probably fitted her Avcon adapter with an J1772-2009 plug/cable assembly.

surfingslovak said:
TEG said:
Excellent point, I saw him post a picture of a Leaf in a recent thread, but it must have been an older photo and someone else's Leaf. If the OP saw the Avcon in the 4th Street and Fernando garage, then I may have a solution for the mystery. Waidy reported on EV Charger Maps that she used an Avcon adapter there on September 25 :) I'm only speculating here, but Phil probably fitted her Avcon adapter with an J1772-2009 plug/cable assembly.
Sorry for the late post. A MNL forum member just told me about this thread. Yes, it was my LEAF and my Avcon converter box. I have it since March of 2011. I have been using it ever since. It's expensive but is money well spent. I got the box from EAA. I got the orange cable from http://www.tucsonev.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Since it is an expensive equipment, and I don't want it to get stolen so I ask Phil's permission to use his sign. The sign works great. It scares away people who wants to steal it.

TangoKilo said:
Is this thread still alive?
Should it be? Waidy found the thread, and confirmed that the OP saw her Leaf charging from an Avcon station last September. Case closed :)

Back