FremontRider
Delivery Date: 17 Oct 2011

Stereo and/or speaker upgrade recommendation

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:05 pm

Hi all. Fourth posts for me...and cannot wait to be a be"leaf"er when I get my car on October 12. I've been following many posts here already and they are all very helpful. I already ordered my upgraded horn, my "ELECTRIC" emblem, find my tinter, and perhaps leather installer. I have my Ecotality/EVSE installed by Meandal which I highly recommend.

One thing that I cannot find anywhere is what stereo and/or speaker upgrade is the best for the LEAF. It seems like nobody has done these mods yet. I do not plan to have a subwoofer since it will just add weight.

EVDRIVER

Re: Stereo and/or speaker upgrade recommendation

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:19 pm

FremontRider wrote:Hi all. Fourth posts for me...and cannot wait to be a be"leaf"er when I get my car on October 12. I've been following many posts here already and they are all very helpful. I already ordered my upgraded horn, my "ELECTRIC" emblem, find my tinter, and perhaps leather installer. I have my Ecotality/EVSE installed by Meandal which I highly recommend.

One thing that I cannot find anywhere is what stereo and/or speaker upgrade is the best for the LEAF. It seems like nobody has done these mods yet. I do not plan to have a subwoofer since it will just add weight.

There are several threads, did you try a simple search for "speaker upgrade"?

FremontRider

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:25 pm

There are several threads, did you try a simple search for "speaker upgrade"?[/quote]

I did...I used the search function with no luck. I saw a speaker change thread but did not see speaker model and stereo model recommendations

EVDRIVER

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:28 pm

FremontRider wrote:There are several threads, did you try a simple search for "speaker upgrade"?
I did...I used the search function with no luck. I saw a speaker change thread but did not see speaker model and stereo model recommendations[/quote]

Use the google search function. You can't upgrade the stereo only the speakers and add an amp. you are about to get a bunch of opinions soon-

FremontRider

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:37 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
FremontRider wrote:There are several threads, did you try a simple search for "speaker upgrade"?
I did...I used the search function with no luck. I saw a speaker change thread but did not see speaker model and stereo model recommendations

Use the google search function. You can't upgrade the stereo only the speakers and add an amp. you are about to get a bunch of opinions soon-[/quote]

Thanks!!! The google search function did help and provided much better search results.

johnr
Delivery Date: 11 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2151

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:45 pm

Hi, welcome! A few people have upgraded their speakers - check some of the threads in this section: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewforum.php?f=36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My trip to Mineral King and the value of regen

Charging stations, electrical adapters, and portable CHAdeMO quick chargers

2011 upgrade: Fossil < Leaf. 2014 upgrade: Leaf < imiev. 2017 upgrade: imiev < tesla. Done upgrading.

EVDRIVER

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:04 pm

I recommend Clarion speakers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

defiancecp
Delivery Date: 25 Aug 2011

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:58 am

Technically, you *could* upgrade the stereo, you'd just lose a LOT of functionality in doing so (energy consumption display, LOTS of configuration/settings/options including charging timers, all carwings functions, some options related to climate control, etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc....... You'd be effectively crippling much of the car's functionality.
For me, even with a relatively high-end audio build, I still chose to retain the head unit and use a line level converter. The output is actually pretty clean up to 4-5 bars from max volume (5 bars on maximized outputs like sine waves, usually 4 bars will work without clipping on normally recorded music), so if you get a nice line output converter it still gives you a reasonable signal. Doesn't fix the substandard user interface, but... well, it is what it is :)

Having said that, I've often wondered if a savvy developer could develop an android app and associated expansion box to interface with those functions, then connect to an android-based headset. I bet that could be made to work, though it might be a bit expensive.

nader
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2011
Leaf Number: 1925

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:37 am

EVDRIVER wrote:I recommend Clarion speakers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HAHAHAHA!

(that means stock speakers for those wondering)

Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:25 am

How is the AM reception in the Leaf?

Return to “Accessories / Mods”