HID Headlights

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I missing the point here. Why would you want to replace LEDs with HIDs? If you wanted to convert fog lights into HIDs, then you need this http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-HID-Headlights/H11/HID-Kits-Bulbs/V-HIDS-35W-SLIM-BALLAST-p4782952.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brightonuk said:
I have read that the stock led headlights are not very good I was thinking going to HID I might improve the performance?

That depends how you measure performance. The LEDs are quite good, actually, so I don't know why you'd think otherwise. HID's will probably generate more light, but will consume a LOT more power.

Note: the low beam is LED, the high beam is both the LEDs, and two incandescent bulbs. Maybe replace those with HID? Or the fog lights? Or add some big 8 inch HID Baja Design or Soltek off road style lights on the roof.

Note: the low beam is LED, the high beam is both the LEDs, and two incandescent bulbs. Maybe replace those with HID?

That was the intention using one of the options above.

Reading on another thread it was noted that the high beam is yellow comared to the low beam LED's I thought by switching to the HID I would get the best of both worlds improved light output (visabillity) and looks.
I was also thinking of changing the fog lights for H11 kit you tagged.

Is this direction counterproductive should I just change out the fog lights / Headlights or both?

The LED low beams are very good and I doubt there is much you could do to improve them.

The high beams are a different matter entirely. The high beam reflector design is so poor that you are not going to get truly great high beams regardless of what light source you put in there... If you want to go for the color temperature match, that is one thing, but don't expect a miracle improvement in light output... Also, the aiming adjustment control in the car only affects the low beams, not the high beams...

Brightonuk said:
Is this direction counterproductive should I just change out the fog lights / Headlights or both?

Brightonuk said:
I have read that the stock led headlights are not very good I was thinking going to HID I might improve the performance?

The LEAF has a revolutionary headlight design. It is the first production car to have LED's that achieve HID quality. Nissan and their supplier is very proud of them.

"Thanks to its color temperature of 5500K, it has been ranked at the level of HID lamps during night test comparisons with different mass production headlamps" - Valeo

http://www.valeo.com/en/press-releases/details.html?id=156" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the responses and guidance.

For now or as soon as I get the car I guess the horn mod is first then the fog lights leaving the Headlights alone meanwhile keep trolling this site for other worthwhile "things to change"

It is amazing to me I have never had so much interest in any car truck I have owned as I do with the Leaf (and I do not even have one yet)
I spend way too much time on this excellent site just reading people experiences and modifications and cannot wait to get my hands on the car and immediately start to apply some of the suggestions I find here (hopefully picking the right ones)

I like LEDs on Leaf and while they are good they are not as bright as HID in my other car, but that maybe just 10% less brightness.

Back