Removing loud decals, replacing with badge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tilenius

Hi, folks! I'm the proud owner of a new 2011 Nissan Leaf SL in Cayenne Red. I've been LOVING it and want to thank everyone here for the great posts -- extremely helpful! So awesome to see the EV revolution gaining steam!

Here's my question: Does anyone know how hard it is (and what's involved) in removing the large "Zero Emission" decal from the Leaf's doors? I got an orphan one and the dealer had ordered it with the super-sized stickers that take up 1.5 door panels and are nearly a foot tall. (Yikes!) While I love the "zero emission" sentiment, a big ad graphic just isn't my style -- too loud. (I've had friends comment negatively on them. I think they take away from an otherwise VERY classy car!) See photo below.

Also, what I'd love to get in their place is the *small* "Zero Emission" door badges that appears to now be standard. (See second pic.) However, I cannot seem to find a part number for that badge or figure out how to order them. Does anyone know a part number or where/how I can get the badge? (And does it matter what color your car is? Or are the small badges the same for any car color?)

Stock photo of the super-loud "Zero Emission" sticker on my car:
accessory-8.jpg

Photo of more subtle badge treatment I'd like to have instead:
gallery-7.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help/tips on removing the large sticker and buying/installing the small badge!

I'll premise this by saying I don't have my Leaf yet (Cayenne Red too, I'm jealous), however, I have removed decals and badges before on other cars.

Assuming it is a sticker I would suggest using a product like Goo Gone and put some over one of the edges of the sticker and let it sit. Using a pointed but NOT SHARP tool, such as a plastic dash trim removal tool or old credit card, try to get that first edge up so you can get a hold of it. Once you can get a hold of it, you can try to apply some more Goo Gone, let it sit, and peel back. Or, use a heat gun or hair dryer (not too hot and not too close) to heat the sticker up. This should loosen the adhesive and let you remove the sticker. Either way, you'll probably have sticker residual that will require some more Goo Gone (or similar product) in order to remove all of the remaining crud.

Once its off, wash the area with soap and water (or wash your car!) and then the new decal will usually come with peel-and-stick adhesive already attached.

Is the small side zEro Emission badge the same as on the right-bottom of the rear hatch?

If you have a helpful dealer, ask them what they use.

Dealers should be able to order those.
Also, some folks here might have these badges, that they have removed.

Thanks! I ended up taking it by my local body shop. They removed it easily, and according to their database, the replacement small badge is Nissan part # 80892-3NAQA.

I called my dealer and they can order those.

So I'm good but wanted to post the magic part # in case anyone else needs them. (They don't seem to be listed on any internet website, but again, any dealer can special order them.)

FYI: those small door badges retail for $70.03 each, yikes. :eek:

Be very careful using the heat gun. Alternatively you could purchase 3M decal and 3M decal adhesive remover. Two-step process. Each step spray on and scrape and wipe off with plastic 3M scraper. The 3M solution is the safest way to remove factory decals. These products are usually available at an auto paint store or some PEP Boys locations.

tilenius said:
what I'd love to get in their place is the *small* "Zero Emission" door badges that appears to now be standard.
FWIW, I believe the big sticker is the 'Eco Trim' package, while the small door badge (which is what I have) is what you get if you don't take that package.

Its very disheartening to see so many people willing to remove the proud emblems of ecological purity.. Ghosh took a huge risk giving birth to the Leaf, and is probably selling them at a loss in N. America and this is how you repay him..

Herm said:
Its very disheartening to see so many people willing to remove the proud emblems of ecological purity.. Ghosh took a huge risk giving birth to the Leaf, and is probably selling them at a loss in N. America and this is how you repay him..

Unfortunately, there are many people who will simply take the emblem as a reason to start an argument.

Herm said:
Its very disheartening to see so many people willing to remove the proud emblems of ecological purity..
It is hard for me to call any car an emblem of ecological purity. All cars use increasingly scarce resources in their manufacture and operation. I think the Leaf is definitely a step forward in many respects, and am glad I bought one. But ecological purity??? Are you being sarcastic? :eek:

I have to agree, I think the large decal is a bit much. (I have the small
one on my LEAF.)

I also think that our best bet is to evangelize the LEAF as a great car, not
some enviro-nuts oddball. :)

highcountryrider said:
I have to agree, I think the large decal is a bit much. (I have the small one on my LEAF.)
I also think that our best bet is to evangelize the LEAF as a great car, not some enviro-nuts oddball. :)
+1 In order for the electric car to go mainstream it needs to be percieved as a nice car, not a political/environmental statement.

I also received an orphan Leaf with those massive decals. They are way too loud indeed :)

I went by the local Pep Boys and got a sticker remover product from Goo Gone. It came with the plastic wedge piece to use on the corners and was very effective.

One tip I would say is to get some sun on each side before trying to remove the sticker. Just 30 minutes or so and along with the solution they come right off. If you live in a cold environment you might want to use a hair dryer to warm thing up. I don't think I would use a heat gun on something like this. Too risky.

Here's the before and after:

RFaIR.jpg

haha.

My wife actually likes those loud decals instead of the emblems on her 2012.
Too bad they are not reusable or I would buy them from you guys. :mrgreen:

Can they be ordered from dealer? P/N? Price?

Thanks.

Back