Bay Area Leather -- Group Buy

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhannah

I found a shop in Hayward that can do the leather conversion.

They were doing a Leaf today on behalf of a dealership -- so they just had the seats and were putting it on. The quality looked good, as far as I could tell, it looked the same as the photos that have been posted from the shop in LA.

There is a recommended light gray that would have matched my interior, but the job they were doing had chosen the color "slate", which was a medium gray that matched the accent trim in the interior (and looked nice).

Their asking price is $1299 -- includes the seats, and also the door inserts and the top of the center console. I suspect I could negotiate a little bit off that myself, but I haven't tried yet.

I asked if we had 4-5 customers if we could get a discount, and he was receptive -- so if people want to express their interest level, I will try to pull together a good deal. I imagine $1000-$1100 is a realistic goal, but obviously we won't know until I try. Let me know in a reply in the thread or a PM of your interest level -- i.e. you would definitely buy today at those prices, you might buy but would want to think about it, etc.

Thanks

jhannah said:
I found a shop in Hayward that can do the leather conversion.

They were doing a Leaf today on behalf of a dealership -- so they just had the seats and were putting it on. The quality looked good, as far as I could tell, it looked the same as the photos that have been posted from the shop in LA.

There is a recommended light gray that would have matched my interior, but the job they were doing had chosen the color "slate", which was a medium gray that matched the accent trim in the interior (and looked nice).

Their asking price is $1299 -- includes the seats, and also the door inserts and the top of the center console. I suspect I could negotiate a little bit off that myself, but I haven't tried yet.

I asked if we had 4-5 customers if we could get a discount, and he was receptive -- so if people want to express their interest level, I will try to pull together a good deal. I imagine $1000-$1100 is a realistic goal, but obviously we won't know until I try. Let me know in a reply in the thread or a PM of your interest level -- i.e. you would definitely buy today at those prices, you might buy but would want to think about it, etc.

Thanks

Interested. The big question is how they handle the rear of the back seats as I want to have my dog in the back (with the seat down) AND the door arm rests. Felt is a really bad choice.

Can we get a good handle on his references... maybe which dealership they support, etc.

+1 I'm willing to prepay if needed, but I would like to install seat heaters first. I'm waiting for OEM parts to become available at dealerships.

Seriously interested too... I leased for the guaranteed $7500 instantly, but my wife agrees to pay off the balance in full given that our 3 little boys' car seats fit snug and nice in the back row. Definitely want to see pics, and, as far as I am concerned, the darker the better for the leather. I'm in Union City.

dcarter

My Leaf is due in in September and after test driving one my wife and I both agreed that leather is a must for us. The dealer we test drove at in Concord said they have a place that will do it. He said the most would be $1500 but couldn't give me a price - told me to talk to the place directly.

If you can get a forum discount or group buy together at this place in Hayward for $1000-$1100, given that the quality is spot-on, I would definitely be in - could give a deposit or something if it is needed.

Here are my questions for the next time you talk to the place:
-What is the name of the place?
-How long have they been in business / been doing leather installs?
-Do they handle leather for any car dealerships in that area? If so, which.
-How long do they warranty the work?
-Are their installs properly sewn to accommodate the air-bags (the other thread from the SoCal place says the shop carries insurance for this- http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4266&start=20)?
-You said that the price included the seats, the door inserts (presumably the arm-rest part) and the top of the center console. Why would they put leather on top of the center console? I assume it is just plastic up there, right? I wouldn't want leather in direct sunlight all the time like that.
-Are head-rests included in the pricing as part of "seats"?
-Can they add heated seats at an additional price if we wanted?
-If they also do tinting can they provide a discounted rate if we do it in conjunction with the leather work?

...Subscribed.

Count me in. I was just about to start researching myself. If this matches comments and pic quality of the ones in SD, then that meets my criteria.

I do not know about this shop, however the one in Orange County does not do the center console (where you rest your arm while driving) and the door hand rests in leather. They say it is too hard to do the edges as the leather will not stretch easily. You might want to verify this. Still even though it is not leather the color will match the leather. Leather is only used on the seating surfaces as well. The backs are the same material as is the center console.
Manny

I count 6-7 "count me in" and "definitely interested".
How many do you need before we can get the $1000-$1100 deal and you can give us additional details on how we can setup an appointment?

Sorry for the slow response! I thought the forum would keep notifying me if there were new replies, and since it didn't, I had assumed it had falled on deaf ears.

Let me talk to him and see what I can do.

I think I saw their first leaf install, which was seats on behalf of a dealer (so they just had the seats and were putting it on). It looked a lot like all the LA leather pictures.

Maybe I'm not the guy to lead the group buy though, as I'm not sure I have time to do the homework that people seem to want for this. Totally reasonable requests, but I have a day job and easier to just work a couple more hours there and pay full price than doing hours of due diligence on the group buy :)

I had called him yesterday and asked if he could give me a better "all cash" price, and he's supposed to call me back. When he calls, I will ask about the group buy for 5+ people, and maybe we'll do it so we use my car as the mule and y'all can check it out and see if you want it.

Stay tuned.

Josh

The guy has been unresponsive, which I take to be not a good sign -- maybe we should look for another vendor.

Thanks for the update. Is there anyone interested in coming out to the Walnut Creek / Concord area for leather install?

If so, when I speak to places out my way I can inquire about a group-buy / discount. Let me know your thoughts.

EricBayArea said:
Thanks for the update. Is there anyone interested in coming out to the Walnut Creek / Concord area for leather install?

If so, when I speak to places out my way I can inquire about a group-buy / discount. Let me know your thoughts.

Sounds good to me!

Thanks....

Back