aqn
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1333

Re: Leaf suspension options

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:59 pm

MrStian wrote:Hahaha! I am not used to this type of forum and was looking at the date people joined this forum! :oops:

You say that there is lowering kits for this car. But where can i find it? Have tried to search, but all i can find is how to lower nissan leaf springs, not the car! ;)
I have not seen any references to "lowering springs". I do know that several LEAF owners have put Tein "Street Basis" coilovers on their LEAF:
http://mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Suspension" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In any case, I personally would be leery of putting lowering springs on a LEAF without also replacing the dampers.

And if I can find springs of the correct dimensions and rate for the LEAF, whatever car the springs fit would probably have aftermarket dampers available for it as well.
Anna Nguyen

slydogracing
Delivery Date: 02 Aug 2012
Leaf Number: 020338

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:09 am

Somebody just buy some Sentra b16 springs off Ebay and see if they will fit.....

I think I might have to try it.... :roll:

Drivesolo
Delivery Date: 10 Oct 2011

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:39 am

B16 springs alone or any other suspension components may not work. A 2012 Sentra is 2900 lbs, a 2012 Leaf is 3350lbs. Next possible option to consider would be an Altima ~3200 lbs but I don't think it many suspension components would be interchangeable, just a hunch.
2011 SL Superblack - Delivered 10/10/2011
"As an individual, not as the boss of a company, I am very interested in motor racing." - Carlos Ghosn
"Racing improves the breed." - Soichiro Honda

ztanos

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:02 pm

Drivesolo wrote:B16 springs alone or any other suspension components may not work. A 2012 Sentra is 2900 lbs, a 2012 Leaf is 3350lbs. Next possible option to consider would be an Altima ~3200 lbs but I don't think it many suspension components would be interchangeable, just a hunch.
How about some Titan front springs all around. :lol:

marcucci
Delivery Date: 09 Jul 2012
Leaf Number: 022282

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:51 pm

I wanted to resurrect this thread to continue the discussion on alternative LEAF suspension parts. We know that the p/ns don't tell us anything (the base part number for any particular part, such as a shock, is the same across almost all models). We also know the weights are off and these parts won't perform the same on the LEAF.

HOWEVER, once you go aftermarket, a much wider range of options appear. For instance, you'll find aftermarket coilover setups with both bound and rebound adjustability, right height, etc., that are valved such that they will work well under the LEAF. Assuming, that is, they fit.

So- are there any other suspension or modification nerds out there like me that have tried or are willing to try out aftermarket parts from other Nissans? I have looked at as many pictures of the Versa as I can online, and it appears that the damper assembly is a close match. As close as you can tell without measuring things.

I have a friend with a Versa and am tempted to get him to come over and start measuring parts and taking pictures...

kovalb
Delivery Date: 09 Apr 2014

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:21 am

If you want a better handling LEAF please test drive the 2013. Better yet just buy one. The suspension damping has been firmed-up. It eliminates the floaty feel, reduces body roll, and has better yaw response. The steering benefits as well. The effort is slightly higher, with more feedback, and better on-center feel. The 13 feels more sporty and lively than my 11. I can take a high speed ramp at 75mph with complete confidence in a 13. Even at 70mph my 11 does not feel nearly as secure on that same ramp.
Had six Nissan LEAFs in five years. Hope to get another.
Retired Nissan Employee (NTCNA-AZ). Opinions expressed here are my own.

JimSouCal

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:57 am

kovalb wrote:If you want a better handling LEAF please test drive the 2013. Better yet just buy one. The suspension damping has been firmed-up. It eliminates the floaty feel, reduces body roll, and has better yaw response. The steering benefits as well. The effort is slightly higher, with more feedback, and better on-center feel. The 13 feels more sporty and lively than my 11. I can take a high speed ramp at 75mph with complete confidence in a 13. Even at 70mph my 11 does not feel nearly as secure on that same ramp.
I saw your other post. Glad Nissan tightened it up, as my 2011 rides like a marshmallow (and in your scenario, borderline dangerous if evasive action is needed).

That said, if there was someone is Los Angeles (or better yet, Santa Monica), who can set me up with a tuned suspension ride and a set of performance wheels tires for a good deal, I'd like a price quote. I have tinting and leather mods, and just need some tightness. I plan on keeping Mr. LEAF for a long while.

BlackLeaf13
Delivery Date: 04 Mar 2013

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:52 pm

Saw this

http://www.nengun.com/tein/h-tech-springs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this

http://www.nengun.com/tein/street-basis-damper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shipping will kill. But to have a dropped Leaf, awesomeness!

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:59 pm

I've spent a fair amount of time in a 2013 SV and I have to say that I experienced little of what you describe... In fact, my 2011 with the Michelin MXV4s, handles better than the 2013 SV I drove... Maybe the upgraded wheels and tires on the 2013 SL will make a difference but I've not been able to drive one so I can't say.
kovalb wrote:If you want a better handling LEAF please test drive the 2013. Better yet just buy one. The suspension damping has been firmed-up. It eliminates the floaty feel, reduces body roll, and has better yaw response. The steering benefits as well. The effort is slightly higher, with more feedback, and better on-center feel. The 13 feels more sporty and lively than my 11. I can take a high speed ramp at 75mph with complete confidence in a 13. Even at 70mph my 11 does not feel nearly as secure on that same ramp.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

Drivesolo
Delivery Date: 10 Oct 2011

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:01 pm

Last summer I got my hands on the front struts from a B15 Sentra. No good, completely different and can't be modified. Bolt pattern of the top hat was different (not to mention that the Leaf's is female and the Sentra's is male), sway bar mount is different (Leaf has it mounted on the strut, Sentra is off of the LCA) and the Leaf has what appeared to be a spring w/ a greater spring rate. I think it's safe to eliminate B15 and older Sentras. Perhaps an Altima's components?
2011 SL Superblack - Delivered 10/10/2011
"As an individual, not as the boss of a company, I am very interested in motor racing." - Carlos Ghosn
"Racing improves the breed." - Soichiro Honda

Return to “Accessories / Mods”