aqn
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1333

Re: Leather anyone?

Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:03 pm

sullyfahs wrote:I was told by Nissan Customer Service that you should not cover the top side of your front seats as this is where the side air bags emerge from. It is marker by a small black tag.
The seat's exploded diagram from the LEAF Service Manual shows the side airbag to be in the lower 2/3 of the seat's side:
Anna Nguyen

TRONZ
Delivery Date: 31 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 202

Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:47 pm

Has anyone done leather in the same shade as stock... or lighter? It is leather after all.
Every start, is as good as any start can ever be. - Douglas Darden

Stats;
2011 LEAF SL VIN#202, Delivered 01.30.11. Now, by far, the oldest LEAF in Colorado.

JimSouCal

Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:13 pm

TRONZ wrote:Has anyone done leather in the same shade as stock... or lighter? It is leather after all.
I am going to try to get close... The problem is the stock interior seems to have some odd color and leather tends to have some red warm that will conflict with the rest of the interior.

As I have silver, the interior probably would have looked better in dominant gray with no hue, but the interior needed to span all the colors and work with them, I suppose.

I can't wait to get leather, as the fabric is starting to get some grunge and I do not like grunge when it is a combination of dirt, skin flake, and body oil, and whatever lives on that buffet.

sullyfahs
Delivery Date: 05 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7371

Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:53 pm

So where do I go to find the ad for these leather seat covers? How can they allow the side air bags to deploy? Tnx! Fran
"In 20 years, all cars on the road

will be electric."

Warren Buffett. November 29, 2009

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:33 am

sullyfahs wrote:So where do I go to find the ad for these leather seat covers? How can they allow the side air bags to deploy? Tnx! Fran
Post #22 in this thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&start=22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 86,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

sullyfahs
Delivery Date: 05 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7371

Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:10 am

I wish that the covers that are on the Leaf would repel stains and dirt, but it seems that every spec requires deep cleaning to get it out. Where in the U.S. is this shop that does the leather Leaf covers?
"In 20 years, all cars on the road

will be electric."

Warren Buffett. November 29, 2009

geolizleaf
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 7696

Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:59 am

I got the Katzkin brochure the other day, I'm thinking of getting the Lt Grey..it looks to match the darker color of the console and dash. Anyone have that color yet? If so, could you post pictures?

Not sure about installing it myself. my local installer has quoted $1300 installed, .. which is about $500 for the install. (the kit with plain stitching is $789 at Autoseatskins.com)

I've toyed with the idea of doing it myself after watching the Gearz show on Speed do a truck with Katzkin leather a few weeks ago. It didn't look extremely hard, just tedious.. Anybody installed a Katzkin themselves?
Order date May 15, 2011 via iPad
Delivered Aug 29, 2011
Daily round trip of 41miles uses 10KwH at 4.5cents/KwH..WOW

Vin 7696

JimSouCal

Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:20 pm

geolizleaf wrote:Anybody installed a Katzkin themselves?
You might search for the wet okole cover installation thread, as it may shed some light on how hard it is to do. As for my ride, the folks in Westminster will get my $1K for the out the door price... They need the car for over a day (ask for 2 days), but they sew the covers in house, perhaps that might shed some light on how much is involved. I am penciled in for this week...

aqn
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1333

Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:34 pm

geolizleaf wrote:I've toyed with the idea of doing it myself after watching the Gearz show on Speed do a truck with Katzkin leather a few weeks ago. It didn't look extremely hard, just tedious.. Anybody installed a Katzkin themselves?
A lot of the stuff they do on This Old House looks easy as well, but I wouldn't really want to try doing some of those things myself!

Many years ago, a friend asked me to give him an estimate on redoing the Recaros in his VW Corrado in Utlra-Suede, so I had the opportunity to become very familiar with automotive seat upholstery. You're right that it's not extremely hard, but it does require a bit knowledge on how the cover is attached to the seat. It can be a frustrating experience otherwise.

If the Katzkin covers are properly made and are attached with hog rings, you will need a pair of hog ring pliers.
Anna Nguyen

geolizleaf
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 7696

Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:29 pm

I'm in Tucson, so we don't have too many choices in leather shops. If we had 400 miles of range, :lol: I'd go to the shop in Orange County so may LA folks have used.. His work looks nice..

The guy that I got a quote from fixed my G35 seat when it got torn.( that's another story) As for the Leaf, I don't like how light the interior is, and its certainly a dirt magnet. Leather is less dusty, and I'm not too concerned about people thinking poorly of me because I switched to leather. I bought the car because it's cool technology first, and because it uses so little energy second. I find it's almost as quick as my G35 to about 40mph.. really love the acceleration. Electric motor torque is so cool

Yes, I believe these seats use Hog Rings, so if I did it myself I'd buy the Hog Ring pliers from Autoseatskins.com at the time I purchase the new upholstery. My wife thinks I should pay the local guy the extra $500, and not loose several weekends doing it myself. She's probably right The guy at Autoseatskins.com said start with the bottom of the back seat, and if you succeed, then you'll be fine, otherwise, if you fail, pile the covers into the back and drive to the local shop.. he wasn't too encouraging.
Order date May 15, 2011 via iPad
Delivered Aug 29, 2011
Daily round trip of 41miles uses 10KwH at 4.5cents/KwH..WOW

Vin 7696

Return to “Accessories / Mods”