What is the cost in miles for adding a 100Watt/channel amp?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrRocket

Before I spend a fortune installing Hertz speakers and a 4 channel amp at 100 watts per channel, how do I figure out the mileage loss?

Don't amps really run at much lower wattage?

What is the formula to calculate the loss +/-?

A real 100 watt load, for an hour, uses 0.1 kWh, or about 0.4% of the battery's energy.

Allowing for conversion losses maybe 0.5% (one part in 200), so it might be a "half mile" loss.

garygid said:
A real 100 watt load, for an hour, uses 0.1 kWh, or about 0.4% of the battery's energy.

Allowing for conversion losses maybe 0.5% (one part in 200), so it might be a "half mile" loss.

That is per channel. So 2 miles on a 4 channel amp.

That assumes that such an amp is putting out 100 watts RMS per channel all the time. It isn't.

palmermd said:
garygid said:

That is per channel. So 2 miles on a 4 channel amp.

Wouldn't the stereo run off of the 12V "accessory" battery (and thus be subject to charging by the solar panel, assuming an SL model)? And in that case, wouldn't the range be relatively unaffected, as the 12V battery would be charged at night?

The solar panel is just a gimmick. It puts out about 4 to 5 watts in direct, full sun (I've measured it).

ahagge said:
Wouldn't the stereo run off of the 12V "accessory" battery (and thus be subject to charging by the solar panel, assuming an SL model)? And in that case, wouldn't the range be relatively unaffected, as the 12V battery would be charged at night?

mogur said:
The solar panel is just a gimmick. It puts out about 4 to 5 watts in direct, full sun (I've measured it).

I knew it! I didn't get the "SL" because of the solar panel, and I *couldn't* get the "QC port" because I didn't get the "SL". The irony is all the BS with the CHAdeMO interface almost makes "two wrongs a right" (and saved me $$).

Yeah, I got the SL primarily for the backup camera and the Homelink. And, of course, I had to to get the "free" QC port as part of the EV Project...

Stanton said:
mogur said:

I knew it! I didn't get the "SL" because of the solar panel, and I *couldn't* get the "QC port" because I didn't get the "SL". The irony is all the BS with the CHAdeMO interface almost makes "two wrongs a right" (and saved me $$).

mogur said:

Probably enough to compensate for the stereo, 5-10 watts is actually a good average power for normal listening levels.. but if you need to impress your eco friends, just cover the roof with fake solar panel stickers... then use it as an excuse to drive slow, tell them 30mph is all the solar panels will sustain :)

DrRocket said:
Before I spend a fortune installing Hertz speakers and a 4 channel amp at 100 watts per channel, how do I figure out the mileage loss?

Interested in how you plan on hooking up your amp. Directly to the accessory battery or just tap the 12v accessory outlet?

mogur said:
The solar panel is just a gimmick.
I agree but whenever I am showing my EV at an event someone says "It should have a solar panel." They don't know the physics or they would not make the suggestion. I used to go into detail about how much energy a solar panel makes and how its orientation to the sun matters... Now I can just say "It does!" It is worth it for that alone :mrgreen:

I added a powered subwoofer to my Leaf that is playing all the time (10 amp fuse) and while I haven't done any real scientific measurements, I can't see any indication that it changes the range at all...

I have been doing 90% of my driving off the solar panel on my LEAF, of course I have only driven 150 miles in the last few months.

Thank you for the responses. I learn more and more each day.

2 or 3 miles of range is minimal. Worth it for the upgrade.

I'm having a stereo shop do the install, they work on very high end cars with bulls, horses,wings, blue/white propellers, and shields on the hoods. They are only adding about $300 in labor which includes dynamat.

They most likely will connect to the 12 volt since that is what they are used to. The install would be totally hidden, so I wouldn't want to connect to the aux power, unless they could do it under the hood.

Back