Car Cover Supplier?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

folla

Has anyone here located a company which makes a car-cover for the Leaf? I imagine it will need to be somewhat more complicated than most covers. In addition to the usual pockets for mirrors and antenna the Leaf's will need a flap to allow the charging flap to open and and opening for the solar array on the SL model.

There's always this one on eBay...Doesn't look like it has the flappage you're talking about, though....You might have to make those yourself....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-Nissan-Leaf-Car-Cover-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27bacd1f3fQQitemZ170637729599QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Here's one that looks like a Nissan model for twice as much...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-Leaf-Vehicle-Cover-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem56436ec65aQQitemZ370498520666QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Cover King lists one for the Leaf. There are options for a charging port flap and a solar spoiler flap. It also says it accommodates the antenna. I've never used a car cover, but I'm considering one for my pretty red Leaf. How heavy are they? How much of a hassle is it to put on and take off? How much space do they take folded up?

oakwcj said:
Cover King lists one for the Leaf. There are options for a charging port flap and a solar spoiler flap. It also says it accommodates the antenna. I've never used a car cover, but I'm considering one for my pretty red Leaf. How heavy are they? How much of a hassle is it to put on and take off? How much space do they take folded up?

I don't have one for my Leaf (yet) but did have one for my Honda Insight (2-seater model). It was a different brand (don't recall the name anymore) but the material was about the same weight/type as CoverKing's "Mosom Plus". Size & weight were very reasonable - it easily fit into the small storage compartment below the Insight's rear deck with room for a couple of full book bags to spare.

Daily install/removal was a piece of cake - less than a minute unless it was windy. Then it might take a couple extra minutes - having 2 people is helpful but not necessary.

Caution:
At least one LEAF-specific car cover, purchased from a local dealer less than a month ago, was presumably made by CoverKing to Nissan's specifications and measurements.

Apparently it was specified (and made) to fit the Test-Drive model LEAF (with a vertical antenna), not the production LEAF (has a swept-back antenna, also different side-view mirrors), and the front (very nice) charge-hatch ended up being about 3 inches "too high" to be used as intended.

We took the cover back, and the Service Associates photographed the misfit problem before it was returned to the Parts Department.

So, you might want to try the "fit" at the point of purchase, or be prepared to make some modest alterations to improve the fit. Perhaps just redoing the antenna pouch would be enough?

I do not know if a "new-dimension" version of the Nissan LEAF car cover is available, and if it will have a different Nssan part number.

I guess my only question about the car covers is the air flow during the charging process. I can hear a fan running (or is that a circulation pump?), would the cover keep sufficient air from passing through the engine bay to keep everything properly cool? I would hate to discover another "teakettle syndrome".

Rake said:
I guess my only question about the car covers is the air flow during the charging process. I can hear a fan running (or is that a circulation pump?), would the cover keep sufficient air from passing through the engine bay to keep everything properly cool? I would hate to discover another "teakettle syndrome".

This is listed among the cautions in the charging chapter in the manual:

"Do not charge when a vehicle body
cover is in use. This may cause
damage to the charge connector."

[Charging CH-3]

This would seem to make a cover impractical, unless the charger portal flap is intended to get around this issue.

On a Nissan site I found a Silverguard Plus car cover for the Leaf, $160 dealer net cost, $230 MSRP.

These covers are made by CoverKing, which sells them as "Custom Car Cover Silverguard":

http://www.carcoverplanet.com/2011-nissan-leaf_silverguard-car-cover_ns7558.html

$164 free shipping no tax, for a version with power port access flap, solar panel access flap, and antenna pocket.

"An excellent choice for sunny climates. The silver reflective layer reflects sunlight and U.V. rays, yet is very water resistant. Made from strong Polyester yarn, with an added silver reflective and water resistant layer."

Seems like it would be great for southern California. I'm thinking of getting one for my new Leaf, which I will pick up this weekend.

Mikel

That's the same cover I mentioned earlier in this thread and the same one that garygid provided some cautionary information about. If you do order one, please post here about your experience and particularly the fit around the charge port.

My wife ordered this cover last week. We have used it overnight to charge in the cool Southern Cal evenings and had no problems so far, although we have only used it for a few days. There is plenty of space to open the charge hatch and the antenna fits fine. The fabric is definitely thicker than any other cover I've used so I could see that it would trap heat. How much this happens I haven't tested but I do have an IR thermometer and could do a quick test as it charges if I wanted to be a night owl (after midnight)

Is there any data on how much heat is generated during a 80% charge? As long as the temperature is cool I would think that would act as enough of a sink....especially as the battery is low and closer to the bottom of the car where there is access to cool air...

Did you get Silverguard or some other material? How much does it weigh [approximately]? How much space does it take folded? I think the manual's warning about damage to the charge connector has to do with weight on it, rather than heat. The charge port flap probably eliminates any concern about damage to the connector.

bodengroden said:
My wife ordered this cover last week. We have used it overnight to charge in the cool Southern Cal evenings and had no problems so far, although we have only used it for a few days. There is plenty of space to open the charge hatch and the antenna fits fine. The fabric is definitely thicker than any other cover I've used so I could see that it would trap heat. How much this happens I haven't tested but I do have an IR thermometer and could do a quick test as it charges if I wanted to be a night owl (after midnight)

To bodengroden:

Thanks for the information about the cover. I am curious about the solar panel access flap. Can you keep the solar panel exposed while the car is covered?

Mikel

From Albert at CarCoverPlanet.com:

"The custom cover is for the production 2011 Nissan Leaf. The flaps are like pockets with velcro to hold them down. You can lift the flap up and access the charger (or let the solar panel have access to light) or secure the flap down to keep the entire car covered."

oakwcj said:
Did you get Silverguard or some other material? How much does it weigh [approximately]? How much space does it take folded? I think the manual's warning about damage to the charge connector has to do with weight on it, rather than heat. The charge port flap probably eliminates any concern about damage to the connector.

I think it is the silverguard. The cover is a little unwieldy at first for one person until you get the hang of it. They give you a storage bag that is about 24" x 30" or so but getting it in there will take some precise folding. It probably weighs between 5 and 10 pounds. There is a trick to getting it on easily. If you put the mirrors on first the rest is easy. Overall it seems to be a nice cover. It didn't come with a lock so that is something that I have to get still.

My wife likes to keep the solat panel covered as her main concern is keeping the canyon dust out...and there is little sun when we use it. But you could easily roll open the flap.

Mike

What are you trying to achieve?.. protect the car at work or at home?.. from the sun, from vandalism or dust?.

Lots of people buy car covers and never use them, the thick ones are bulky to store and unwieldy.. the thin ones easier but offer less protection.

Herm said:
What are you trying to achieve?.. protect the car at work or at home?.. from the sun, from vandalism or dust?.

Lots of people buy car covers and never use them, the thick ones are bulky to store and unwieldy.. the thin ones easier but offer less protection.

My objective is to protect the red paint from the sun at home. I've never had a cover, but I do worry about whether I would quickly find it too much of a hassle to put on and take off. So I might well fall into the category of people who buy covers and don't use them. How do you know in advance?

I like using a sun porch, but it may not be legal where you live.. mine is home-made of 2" galvanized steel pipe and hardware.. very inexpensive and has survived several hurricanes (list about 6" to the east due to Andrew).. the tarp that goes on it is good for a year or two before it rots or you can use permanent roofing.. metal or fiberglass panes (semi transparent or opaque).

Herm said:
I like using a sun porch, but it may not be legal where you live.. mine is home-made of 2" galvanized steel pipe and hardware.. very inexpensive and has survived several hurricanes (list about 6" to the east due to Andrew).. the tarp that goes on it is good for a year or two before it rots or you can use permanent roofing.. metal or fiberglass panes (semi transparent or opaque).

It's not legal here. And my driveway is quite narrow -- about 8 1/2 feet wide. I agree that it would be a much better solution than a car cover.

Back