Broken Antenna?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnybegoode

Is this a broken or modified antenna?
I could receive radio and GPS navigation works well.
(Should I leave it alone?)

I cannot see any screw thread in the opening.
Is the opening - part of the antenna that has been broken off
and that the part can be unscrewed off to reveal the screwthread underneath the opening part?
Or
Is that the opening part of the base for the antenna to be screwed in and I cannot see the screw thread because
it has been covered with rust?
(Is the opening part of the base or part of the antenna?)

It's obviously missing, possibly broken.

You can see what's supposed to be there from page 17 of https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/NissanLEAF/2012/2012-NissanLEAF-owner-manual.pdf.

I found this on the Nissan website.
https://parts.nissanusa.com/p/Nissan__Leaf/Radio-Antenna-Base/89800281/28208-3NA0C.html

Seems like that is part of the base but the metal part with the screw thread is missing or broken off.
I can not attach any antenna on it anymore.

I can receive radio and navigation works.
I could just let it be or is there a more aesthetic solution to this?

I'd guess GPS uses a completely separate antenna. If the radio reception is OK you could leave it alone but I'd be sure to make sure it's water tight. Maybe seal it with some black RTV or something.

They probably backed up in a car wash like I did :oops:
I was pulling forward through the dryer area but moved too fast, the countdown timer showed something like 30 seconds left so I tried backing up, bad idea as the antenna caught on something and broke off like your photo. Speaking of your photo, it looks like they tried to use some high temp/strength orange silicone caulk to glue it back, I used epoxy to no avail and like their repair mine flew off driving down the freeway :(
In the end I ended up purchasing a shark fin antenna that fit over the base of the existing antenna(for XM radio, the rod is for AM/FM) but even though the shark fin I got was supposed to fit over the existing base it did not, it was too small and wouldn't fit against the roof. I ended up spending several hours modifying/grinding the existing antenna as well as interior of the shark fin antenna and finally got it to sit flush against the roof. Truthfully the shark fin barely gets any more channels than the broken existing antenna but it does look nicer. If your getting your local channels now I wouldn't mess with it, just make it as attractive and waterproof as you can.

johnnybegoode said:
https://parts.nissanusa.com/p/Nissan__Leaf/Radio-Antenna-Base/89800281/28208-3NA0C.html

Seems like that is part of the base but the metal part with the screw thread is missing or broken off.

I'd replace it with a salvaged part. Looks like $50 would be a reasonable price.

Check for other Nissan vehicles that use the same part. Leafs are hard to find in most junkyards but the part may be a generic part in which case it should be cheap from a junkyard.

Nubo said:
johnnybegoode said:

I'd replace it with a salvaged part. Looks like $50 would be a reasonable price.
The issue is you have to remove the headliner(any maybe door trim pieces?) to be able to replace that part, more than I cared to do. This is why the shark fin adapter sounded so nice, just hook up the wire, slip it over the existing base and be done. Unfortunately, the base XM antenna of the Leaf is chubbier than any shark fin adapters I could find :(
https://www.amazon.com/AntennaMastsRus-Functional-Antenna-Compatible-2011-2017/dp/B01MU7NENX/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=HWU5LQ4RWZR0&dchild=1&keywords=nissan%2Bleaf%2Bshark%2Bfin%2Bantenna&qid=1611699330&sprefix=nissan%2Bleaf%2Bshark%2Bfi%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzOU5NREY2S1hXSDNQJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzgxNTIzMU1XTkVVUjFORjZQWiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjU5Nzg2WDk0RTdQSzE0VlI1JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

jjeff said:
The issue is you have to remove the headliner(any maybe door trim pieces?) to be able to replace that part, more than I cared to do. This is why the shark fin adapter sounded so nice, just hook up the wire, slip it over the existing base and be done. Unfortunately, the base XM antenna of the Leaf is chubbier than any shark fin adapters I could find :(

Good point. I always get nervous having to remove trim pieces though it usually turns out ok in the end. Usually... :lol:

How to remove the roof trim to get to the antenna base?

I found a replacement part on car-part.com
$50 + S/H $20 = $70
I'm still considering if I should replace it,
or use the money for interior detailing.

Every car is different and if you need instructions to follow you can probably find the service manual here: https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals.

But all cars are also sort of the same. I'd invest in some 'trim tools' at your local auto parts store and just go slowly and carefully. When doing a job like this it also makes sense to not take shortcuts. Taking off all the required pieces of trim (in order) make the job easy and safe while trying to just try to take off the one piece in the way without taking others off first, can break it. Go slow, follow the instructions to the letter and you'll be fine.

If I had to guess, the trim pieces on the pillars (A in front, B behind A, C behind B, etc) will need to come off first. The pieces at the bottom of the door may have to come off before those. Some pieces will have screws (usually behind press-in covers) and all will most likely have snap-in plugs as well. These plugs usually slide into grooves in the trim and then snap into holes in the body. If the plugs break you can get replacements cheaply at the dealer or an auto parts store. If the grooves in the trim piece break you will need new trim and that gets expensive (dealer only part). That is why the trim tools are nice. They put the pressure in the right place so the plugs are pulled straight away from the holes in the body without stressing the plastic trim pieces.

Isn't the missing antenna just for cellular? (definitely could be wrong on this) If the OP doesn't need the soon to disappear 3G connection....
Maybe just "clean up" what's remaining for appearances sake.

The missing antenna portion is for AM and FM radio. Cellular antenna is in dash (passenger side) and XM antenna is in base of antenna so it is likely still OK.

If you really want to replace the antenna, it might be worth taking the dome light out to see if you can get to the wires and connectors that way without taking the whole headliner out.

Back