Retrofitting one-touch turn signals

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYev

Aside from the terrible randomizer for USB audio files, the biggest annoyance going from a 2009 MINI Cooper to 2013 Leaf SV is the lack of one-touch/ comfort turn signals that flash multiple times with a slight bump of the stalk. In a past vehicle life, I had retrofitted intermittent wipers to a Subaru Impreza Outback by swapping combination switches, so I thought I could do the same here to add one-touch turn signals. I also wondered if the turn signal relay might be involved. The relay is part of the hazard light switch (https://www.2carpros.com/questions/flasher-relay-location), and the hazard switch assembly (part number 25290-3NA0A) is the same for 2011-2017 model years that both exclude and include one-touch signals.

Thanks to another forum post (https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20898), I saw that the one-touch feature was added in 2014. It appears that part numbers changed around 11/2013 (my 06/2013 SV with fog lights and auto LED headlights used 25560-3KA0B, which was superseded by 25560-3KA1B).

I compared 2013 and 2014 Nissan Leaf interior pictures and saw one distinct change in the intermittent wiper control. For 2013/earlier, the right stalk shows "INT TIME" with bars going from larger to smaller. The 2014-onward switch simply says "INT" and has raindrop icons going from lighter to heavier. With that exciting observation suggesting that the internals may have also changed, I snagged a combination switch from a 2014 Nissan Murano AWD 4dr SV (with raindrop icons) from a local junkyard and swapped it into my 2013 Leaf SV.

50863691886_6442e865e3_w_d.jpg
50863693566_399a5d2616_w_d.jpg

No luck... :(

All controls work as expected, but the Murano stalk did not magically enable one-touch turn signals. I now see that turn signal information in the 2014 Murano owner's manual is the same as that of my 2013 Leaf manual without one-touch signals, while the 2015 Murano and 2014 Leaf owner's manuals' lane change section specifically states "The turn signal will automatically flash three times." So the functionality must not have changed at the exact same time as the change in appearance of the intermittent wiper switch, or I'm just unlucky that the Murano and Leaf combination switch guts are slightly different despite the identical appearances for 2014. As it turns out, the 25560-3KA1B part number is compatible with 2014+ Leaf, 2015+ Murano, and 2013+ Pathfinder. None of those vehicles are in my local junkyards, so it seemed worth the risk to try the 2014 Murano switch.

Reading this other forum post (https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=23734) does make me wonder, though, if there is a way to activate one-touch turn signals via some sort of programming (could be a new feature for LeafSpy Pro?), but I don't have enough knowledge or information in this area.

TL;DR -- If you want to add one-touch turn signals to your car, look for a 2014+ Leaf, 2015+ Murano, or 2013+ Pathfinder combination switch with comparable form (25560-3KA1B for fog lights and auto headlight). Can't yet confirm with 100% certainty that this will work, but it seems promising. Will need to investigate whether there could be a way to program the feature without swapping combination switch hardware or by swapping the "correct" hardware.

My guess is that the turn signal stalk just sends a momentary signal in both cases, and the flasher unit is what provides the three "blinks." (Its a great feature, I agree.) I suggest you try swapping flasher units, unless they are built into the stalks, now?

LeftieBiker said:
My guess is that the turn signal stalk just sends a momentary signal in both cases, and the flasher unit is what provides the three "blinks." (Its a great feature, I agree.) I suggest you try swapping flasher units, unless they are built into the stalks, now?

That's what I thought at first, too, but the flasher unit is supposedly part of the hazard switch, which has always been the same part number both with and without the one-touch feature.

My November 2013 build date SL does not have one touch turn signals. This is cool though, my 18 year old Audi has these and they are pretty convenient. Keeping an eye on this.

estomax said:
My November 2013 build date SL does not have one touch turn signals.

Thanks for the feedback! Trying to procure a newer combination switch so I can test that out. Will report back.

It took me a while to finally try out, but I installed a combination switch from a "2015 Nissan Murano Premium" (?) that has one-touch turn signals according to the owner's manual. No luck. The turn signals only flash once when you bump the stalk, just like my original 2013 Leaf switch and the 2014 Murano switch. Because the flasher relay part number never changed during the transition from one flash to three flashes, this indicates to me that the one-touch turn signals must be a programmable feature. I will try reaching out to the developer of LeafSpy again to see if that's something he's had a chance to look into.

Back