aqn
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1333

Re: Forged Rays Volk Wheels installed - stock wheels are HEAVY!

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:42 am

Skywagon wrote:As far as the replacement wheels, I have only put 600 miles on the car but I am seeing a shift in my range over time of about 4-6%.
Actually, I was updating the wiki and realized that "shift" can mean "for the better" or "for the worse". It's highly likely that you meant "for the better". I find difficult to believe that a lighter wheel/tire combo would worsen efficiency, and because later, you also said "...and losing efficiency". But, in a Quixotic effort to not add noise to the Internet :D , I just want to doublecheck: you did mean "for the better", correct?
Anna Nguyen

Skywagon
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011

Re: Forged Rays Volk Wheels installed - stock wheels are HEAVY!

Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:51 pm

aqn wrote:
Skywagon wrote:As far as the replacement wheels, I have only put 600 miles on the car but I am seeing a shift in my range over time of about 4-6%.
Actually, I was updating the wiki and realized that "shift" can mean "for the better" or "for the worse". It's highly likely that you meant "for the better". I find difficult to believe that a lighter wheel/tire combo would worsen efficiency, and because later, you also said "...and losing efficiency". But, in a Quixotic effort to not add noise to the Internet :D , I just want to doublecheck: you did mean "for the better", correct?
Yes, for the better. I felt that was clear when I stated that 18" wheels/tires would decrease range and that was not my intentions. This is not the only vehicle I have gone to lighter wheels with in the past in order to increase efficiency; and will not be the last as OEM's do not opt for, typically expensive, lightweight forged wheels unless they are a special ($$$$) model.

mark13

Re: Forged Rays Volk Wheels installed - stock wheels are HEA

Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:13 am

Im glad there is a wheel thread ,Im changing mine with in a few months of receiving the car..

Skywagon

Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:14 pm

I finally found some nice machined aluminum Rays center caps for these rare/older wheels. I am hoping to have a suspension set-up in the next couple months; I have a couple options in work. I will probably swap the lugs for chrome ones. Here are some updated photos:

nader
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2011
Leaf Number: 1925

Mon May 02, 2011 1:27 am

Did you happen to get hub bore measurements? 73.1mm I assume.

Skywagon

Mon May 02, 2011 5:48 am

nader wrote:Did you happen to get hub bore measurements? 73.1mm I assume.
That is the hub bore on some aftermarket wheels. The LEAF has the standard Nissan hub bore size of 66.1mm. You will need hub spacer rings with almost all aftermarket wheels.

Randy
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191

Mon May 02, 2011 8:53 pm

If you're interested in aftermarket wheels and perhaps some new lugnuts, here is a photo of a stock Leaf lugnut that shows the taper angle...

Randy

hill
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0659

Sat May 07, 2011 5:19 pm

greenleaf wrote:
IBELEAF wrote:I have doubts that shaving off 40 pounds will have any noticeable benefit which is 0.02% weight difference from the overall car weight, but the wheels do look nice.
The wheels on a moving car have both linear momentum and angular momentum (more energy needed to accelerate). So saving 40 pounds off the wheels will provide more benefit than say lightening 40 pounds from trunk. The question of "how much better" is harder to quantify though.
greenleaf - you are partly correct ... but reduction in wheel weight is actually even better than linear. The formula relating to this (on some tire/wheel web sites) is described as an exponential factor. So, for those who'd pooh pooh reduction in wheel weight, they're really missing how great the benefit of energy savings is by dropping wheel weight. The difference of wheel weight IS easily noticeable, unless you're only talking about the difference between a couple/few ounces.

IBELEAF
Delivery Date: 06 Apr 2011

Sat May 07, 2011 5:30 pm

hill wrote: So, for those who'd pooh pooh reduction in wheel weight, they're really missing how great the benefit of energy savings is by dropping wheel weight. The difference of wheel weight IS easily noticeable, unless you're only talking about the difference between a couple/few ounces.
So far no comparison tests were done, so paying $1k on a set of lighter rims that result even in hypothetical 4-6% improvement is not really worth IMHO. Also, has anyone compared rotational inertia on the stock wheels? I doubt and that might also give us answers why the stock whees are heavy.
Currently: '12 Volt (12k) since 7/2012
Previously: '11 Leaf SL (w/ 12k miles & 16 month ownership)

myleaf
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 26 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000471

Sat May 07, 2011 5:35 pm

Volk Racing has the CE28 Eco Drive Wheels for Hybrid cars. They have wheels specifically for the Prius and Civic Hybrid. I wonder if they will release one for the LEAF. These wheels seems to be around 11lbs depending on diameter.
Leaf Number 471 2/2011
5/2017 69,900 miles
"Never met an electron I did not like"

Return to “Accessories / Mods”