How much leaf is needed?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonpeace

Hello all,

First post so Forgive me if I've placed this in the wrong section,

I am looking at the possiblity of buying a leaf thats had a prang and transplanting the motor and battery across into another vehicle (for ICE conversion).

from what i have read the Leaf heavily uses 3 can bus systems which if they get upset from missing parts will shut down sections of the vehicle,
all I am after is full power from the motor the battery and the abilty to charge the battery (not to bothered about fast charge)

so my question is if you strip a leaf for its motor charger and battery how much of the other bits do you need to drag along to ensure the car still thinks its in one piece?

I would assume if you have the motor, VMC, BMC,battery, throttle and brake switches and the apropriote Can bus wiring they would all talk and should hopefully work? or do the ABS system, airbags and steering all need to be plugged in to for the system to work properly?

Thank you

I'd start by looking for posts by user name 'mux'. He also has a blog I believe. He's based in the EU somewhere and has done a lot of work on adding more batteries and decoding all the CAN-bus messages used by the car to control the motor and batteries, etc. Somewhere in his posts or maybe replies to his stuff you may find some more information.

I believe what you ask has been done.
But they used everything electronic from a newer leaf.
Battery, vcm, bcm, DC to DC converter, motor, dash display, wiring harnesses.
I think they took a crashed 2017 and put nearly everything into a 2014.
So there is a 2014 leaf some where in Ukrainian that thinks it's a 2017 leaf.

Back