Leaf SV Wheel Aero Inserts

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estomax

Hey Guys,

Haven't seen this here yet, but a colleague of mine pointed out these Leaf SV rim inserts:
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-nissan-leaf-allow-rim-area-inserts-76399

Has anyone else tried them? The creator seems pretty savvy and did a pretty thorough coast down test even.

Makes me want to try and creating some for the 17" SL wheels..

Marko

I have been looking for Aero inserts on my 2019 SV.

From the pictures, do these fit on the 2019 17" rims? If so, and they are affordable, I would buy them. I would just use them for multistate travel.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Too bad. I would certainly like to get a few extra miles on highway trips

There are always Moon discs. I have been tempted and Ithink it would look good on a LEAF, but I don't want to bother with the attachment issue and also I'd rather not compromise the safety margin of my braking system to dissipate heat.

Nubo said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

There are always Moon discs. I have been tempted and Ithink it would look good on a LEAF, but I don't want to bother with the attachment issue and also I'd rather not compromise the safety margin of my braking system to dissipate heat.

Moon discs are 62 a piece. How long would it take to recover the $250 cost :S

mitrals said:
Nubo said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

Moon discs are 62 a piece. How long would it take to recover the $250 cost :S

Wouldn't be my motivation.

do you think the would fit on the Leaf 17" rims?

I know the small domes are actually better then flat rim covers. I was thinking of trying painters tape over the openings for a quick test to see if that helped efficiency, though I think need to do 200 - 300 miles to get any real feel for a 3-6% improvement.

Any other aero mods think are worth trying? I was thinking it still might help to tape/block the front grill. In my 13 leaf, it was noticable for both Aero and reduced heater energy use.

For the new body style you mean? I swear I saw an insert for those on a 3D printer site recently.

Just finished a set in my printer but my island is too small to do any testing on. If somebody in Europe is willing to test it properly(with a Leaf spy) and publish the result then I'm willing to ship a set to you for only the shipping costs.

To be honest, hard to tell. When I google 17 inch Nissan Leaf I only come across 3th party rims. Apart from the larger size is the shape of the 17 inch the same as the 16?

these inserts will not fit the 17" wheels, the 16" wheel holes are different size. I have not seen someone scan/come up with the inserts for 17s yet.

Rodriguez said:
For the new body style you mean? I swear I saw an insert for those on a 3D printer site recently.

Just finished a set in my printer but my island is too small to do any testing on. If somebody in Europe is willing to test it properly(with a Leaf spy) and publish the result then I'm willing to ship a set to you for only the shipping costs.

I'd be up for testing these. I have a 2016 Acenta with the 16" wheels. Based in Oxfordshire in the UK.

These fit the 17" wheels:

https://pinshape.com/items/60720-3d-printed-nissan-leaf-aero-plates-17x65-alloy-split-spoke-wheel

For ages people were going crazy to get "mag" wheels that had gaps in the rim instead of solid steel rims.

Now people are looking to close up the gaps in their alloy rims?

This looks like a great case of someone making money on the gullibility of people thinking they will increase gas mileage?

So I imagine people will spend good amounts of money to save a few MPG of almost free electricity?

There's one every minute...

Times change. The original reason for those "gaps" was to help cool hot brake drums and rotors on heavy muscle cars. EVs tend to use the brakes less, keeping them cooler, so it may make sense to sacrifice some cooling for some added range. Please don't attack people just for the sake of attacking. At least use a more neutral tone.

powersurge said:
For ages people were going crazy to get "mag" wheels that had gaps in the rim instead of solid steel rims.

Now people are looking to close up the gaps in their alloy rims?

This looks like a great case of someone making money on the gullibility of people thinking they will increase gas mileage?

So I imagine people will spend good amounts of money to save a few MPG of almost free electricity?

There's one every minute...

Not sure how this qualifies as a PT Barnum "for suckers" thing - it's a free to use design for making stock LEAF wheels more aerodynamic. Cost is practically nothing, so if you happen to own a 3D printer then why not give it a try? Also, I doubt it's about the cost of electricity, people who do aeromods are far more likely to be trying to squeeze some extra range out of their aging 24 kWh equipped LEAFs.

LeftieBiker said:
Times change. The original reason for those "gaps" was to help cool hot brake drums and rotors on heavy muscle cars. EVs tend to use the brakes less, keeping them cooler, so it may make sense to sacrifice some cooling for some added range. Please don't attack people just for the sake of attacking. At least use a more neutral tone.

Ok, is will be neutral. I apologize for putting down these products. What I was referring to is that fads make pendulum-like changes over the years. As an old guy I have seen many fads come and go... and am tired of crazy new products which will only just put $$$ in the seller's pocket. Think of how cool computers went from big to small to big, and then to small again.

I just want to discourage others that may be susceptible to current hype because everyone today want to sell you something that is better, faster, cheaper, and most is really snake oil... SO..

If you want to buy these inserts because you are ok spending some bling $$$ to "customize" or "accessorize" your car, then go for it. People have always wanted to buy toys for their cars...

BUT, In my opinion, do not buy these things because you think is will do anything to improve performance or mileage range.

Fair enough, I agree that there are scam products out there that do nothing - or worse. I just don't think this is one of them.

I'm not there yet, but I would consider getting some of these made once my LEAF's winter range starts to become a problem. The consensus seems to be that aero wheels increase range somewhere between 3% to 5%. I would also add a grill block during winter (using pipe insulation), to extend range further, so my winter range could potentially increase by as much as 10% using both measures.

So, when I get desperate enough, I'll give both mods a try - not much downside and minimal cost to try...

Back