Window Tinting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready2plugin

Anyone looked into or had their windows tinted on the LEAF? Any suggestions? I like the look and also the heat reduction but need to stay on the right side of the law here in CA. Thanks!

That's probably the first thing that I will do is to tint the windows. 35% on the front side windows and 20% for the rest to stay legal. Love the look and other benefits.

IBELEAF said:
That's probably the first thing that I will do is to tint the windows. 35% on the front side windows and 20% for the rest to stay legal. Love the look and other benefits.

Down the road it gets all cloudy and bubbly, but if you only keep a car a couple years that's somebody else's problem. You can always have it redone, but the defrost wires on the back glass often won't survive surgery.

I already tinted my windows and the look is great as it blends the windows in with the trim around them. I would suggest doing darker than you normally would as the interior is very light in color (and the windshield is large) and it will not be as dark as you think... as in 18% all around...

5354801748_ced1f52df0_b.jpg

5354179911_9fcc28fe4f_b.jpg

5354193511_6a9140e527_b.jpg

Also, on the cloudy and bubbly comment... if you go with a good film you will not have a problem. I have had 10 year old cars with tint that still looked perfect. Plus the better films come with warranties against those issues.

LTLFTcomposite said:
IBELEAF said:

Down the road it gets all cloudy and bubbly, but if you only keep a car a couple years that's somebody else's problem. You can always have it redone, but the defrost wires on the back glass often won't survive surgery.

you get what you pay for. I've been tinting couple of my cars for 10 years at reliable shops that use quality tint and never had issues. My current one is on its 4th year.

Skywagon, what's the darkest % we can legally go on the windshield, front side windows, rear side windows, and back glass? I'm hoping for 35% on the front side windows. Thanks!

Actually, if you use high quality material and have it done correctly, that almost never happens. I've had a number of cars ten plus years old and the tint was as good as the day it was applied on all of them.

LTLFTcomposite said:

I've been thinking about getting tint on the LEAF....On my 2000 Celica that I sold in September, it had 10 1/2 year-old tint that was as good as the day it was installed in 2000. The shop I used before is Alvins and I'll be going back to them if I do it....

So all the folks from CA and WA report that good quality window tinting looks great even after 10 years, but my observation here in FL is that it looks like hell after five years. From correlation to causation, we can only assume that the tinting material sold there is better quality than it is here.

Is this stuff good?
http://www.llumar.com/en/Default.aspx

http://www.yelp.com/biz/alvin-os-custom-window-tinting-san-diego

I'm going to call Alvin and get a quotation. Just read these reviews on Yelp. Don't you wish all service businesses would pay this much attention to customer service? Great place, if you're in San Diego...

Red Randy

LTLFTcomposite said:
So all the folks from CA and WA report that good quality window tinting looks great even after 10 years, but my observation here in FL is that it looks like hell after five years. From correlation to causation, we can only assume that the tinting material sold there is better quality than it is here.

Is this stuff good?
http://www.llumar.com/en/Default.aspx

There are different types and not all brands are good quality. What's wrong with your film?

I am so getting window tinting... but don't want to be the first one for someone to generate their template.

TRONZ said:
I am so getting window tinting... but don't want to be the first one for someone to generate their template.

Most do not have templates... they cut each window each time. They may double up to cut both sides at once (R and L).

Back