QueenBee
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2062

Re: Heater OFF switch on 1. gen. "plug &play" solution!

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:39 pm

Stanton wrote:
TorC wrote: I have however had some progress on making a better switch for the heater-harness. And it even has its own circut for backlight. As of now I just need to get the provider to make covers with "ON/OFF" or "Heater". And the switch looks very OEM. It will look very simular to the VSP-switch.
That would be very cool if it fits into the "heated seats" space/hole/blank. Hope you can offer as a stand-alone item (although the shipping could cost > the switch)!
There is also a blank on the left side where the VSP switch is that could be used. I'd definitely like that option as right now I don't have it permanently mounted. Hopefully that comes together before our winter starts, put me down for two :)

Now that Tor has me helping ship his US orders (Once a new batch arrives to me in the next few weeks)USPS First Class is pretty cheap :)

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:58 am

QueenBee wrote:
Stanton wrote:
TorC wrote: I have however had some progress on making a better switch for the heater-harness. And it even has its own circut for backlight. As of now I just need to get the provider to make covers with "ON/OFF" or "Heater". And the switch looks very OEM. It will look very simular to the VSP-switch.
That would be very cool if it fits into the "heated seats" space/hole/blank. Hope you can offer as a stand-alone item (although the shipping could cost > the switch)!
There is also a blank on the left side where the VSP switch is that could be used. I'd definitely like that option as right now I don't have it permanently mounted. Hopefully that comes together before our winter starts, put me down for two :)

Now that Tor has me helping ship his US orders (Once a new batch arrives to me in the next few weeks)USPS First Class is pretty cheap :)
The problem with "VSP switch" position is distance and route: you can reach the "heated seats" switch area by simply dropping the wire through the gap in the center console
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

sparrow79
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2016

Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:53 am

TorC wrote:
sparrow79 wrote:@TorC

I've ordered one from your website and I've just sent you a PM.

I'm from Portugal.

Thank you for developing this!
I have recived your order, and is processing the order. It will be sent to Portugal. :-)

Order received. Thank you.

I'm still waiting for my used Nissan Leaf MK1 to arrive from France.

When it arrives I will mount it imediatly!

av8or
Delivery Date: 23 May 2015

Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:04 am

Thank you to Tor and QueenBee, I received the harness yesterday. I appreciate the effort that went into it and look forward to installing on the car!
'12 SL with 53K miles.
FL Heat = 8 bars at 41K miles
Battery replaced at 48K miles

TorC
Delivery Date: 08 Mar 2013

Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:58 pm

Stanton wrote:
QueenBee wrote:
Stanton wrote:

The problem with "VSP switch" position is distance and route: you can reach the "heated seats" switch area by simply dropping the wire through the gap in the center console

Your objections are partly true. The distance is not a problem since the harness was designed specifically to be installed next to the VSP-switch (that is why the cables to the switch are so long). To install it however is quite a bit of work. Is is not difficult, but it takes a lot more time and some owners may be unfamiliar with handling interior panels.

I have installed a few of these here in Norway, but since I do not charge for installation nobody wants it next to the VSP. I might have to convince someone to have it installed next to the VSP just to be able to film it.... but that might take some time.

TorC
Delivery Date: 08 Mar 2013

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:45 am

Dear fellow LEAF owners,
I have been working very hard to get a "plug and play" solution to turn the heater off, and still be able to use Carwings or heater timer, without having to turn the switch to "0" when leaving the vehicle. And possible some nice lights in the switch.

I have found the solution! However it will be way to pricey. With "start-up" fees, shipping, taxes etc etc, I will have to charge about $ 100 to brake even. That in it self is not a problem, but the minimum number per series is 200 items. And I do not have $ 20 000 to use on this in the hope that I might be able to sell them all.

So if you want the kit, you either have to gather together and raise some $ 20 000 in guarentees, OR make it yourself. It is farily simple, and will look very nice on any 1. gen leaf!

What you need is a set of my harness to start off with. In addition to that get hold of a nice "fake" Nissan switch (I bought a nice one on Aliexpress "Special Dedicated Car Fog Light Switch Daytime Running Lights Switch Use for NISSAN,qashqai,juke,tiida,almera,x-trail") for about $ 6. They look very OEM when installed, and will have both "backlight", and an additional light when enganged. Get a standard automotive relay (or any type of relay). And a few pieces of cable and spade connectors.

The black cable from the switch as well as pin 85 on the realy connects to the 12v outlets negative cable.

The switchs yellow and red cable connects to the 12v outlets positive cable.

The switchs green cable connects to the relays pin 86.

The relays pin 87 connects to the "climate control harness" brown cable.

The relays pin 30 connects to the "climate control harness" red cable.

With this cheap and simple solution the switch will be looking like OEM (except that it says "LED OFF" instead of "HEAT OFF"). There will be a little light on only when the car is ON, and another little light will be on when the heat is turned OFF. And of course this will only be active as long as the car is turned ON. When the car is OFF, the relay will not be active, so climate timer and remote timer will work as the switch was never installed.

If you make this yourself it will be litturally less than $ 10 (pluss the harness).

I will be uploading 2 videoes on youtube on how to make this. Part one is just how to replace the round switch with a better looking one, and getting some lights. Part two is how to make the kit that I have described here.

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:00 am

Thank you so much for sharing this with the community! I look forward to seeing the video.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

bluepassion
Delivery Date: 18 Jun 2016

Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:11 am

Just want to say thank you for my harness, fitted in 5 minutes on my 2013 leaf , checked the power consumption screen and it works a treat

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:59 am

bluepassion wrote:Just want to say thank you for my harness, fitted in 5 minutes on my 2013 leaf , checked the power consumption screen and it works a treat
:? the 13's already have a switch to turn the heater off......what did you gain by installing this switch?
I can see it on vehicles like my '12 that had no way to turn the heat off but my '13(and I believe on) Leafs have a factory switch.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

bluepassion
Delivery Date: 18 Jun 2016

Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:11 am

Its a gen 1 early 2013

Return to “Accessories / Mods”