TorC
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:19 am
Delivery Date: 08 Mar 2013
Location: Sandefjord, Norway

Re: Heater OFF switch on 1. gen. "plug &play" solution!

Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:30 pm

Canuck wrote:I ordered this on Dec. 28 and it arrived today (Vancouver, Canada). That's pretty fast shipping. I installed it in my 2012 SL in under 10 minutes (including watching the YouTube video) and then spent another 10 minutes creating and taping instructions I made below the switch since this car is driven by my kids mainly and sometimes my wife (it's a great car, I just prefer my Tesla):

O = Middle Position is Normal (Full Heat)
I = Heat Off (use to defrost when no heat is required at all)
II = Some Heat (use to defrost when a little heat is needed)

I tested it and it works perfect! I am very pleased, especially since it is really needed in the wet, damp and moist west coast where defrost is a must a lot of the time. Great product and great vendor. Highly recommended. I have temporarily installed the switch in the gap under the cigarette plug. I didn't want to drill the hole until I knew it worked. Now I just need to know the exact drill bit size to permanently install it. If someone knows what size that drill bit is, please let me know. Thanks.
Sorry for not following up. But @Stanton: Thanks for your input! And thanks for showing that the harness can be used to customized! Thanks!


@Canuck: Here are some pics on how to installl the switch (I am unable to upload, so this is a link to the Norwegian forum witch pics). http://elbilforum.no/forum/index.php/to ... #msg444229

I must say that this is a very nice solution. Credit to Johannes who sent me the photos.


(And even though you are satisfied with the shipping, it should have been faster... I was stuck in family parties, and so was most postmen... Normal shipping should have been less than 7 days ("my"record is 2 days to Texas). )

TimLee
Posts: 2811
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:40 am
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: Heater OFF switch on 1. gen. "plug &play" solution!

Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:49 am

TorC wrote:... @Canuck: Here are some pics on how to installl the switch (I am unable to upload, so this is a link to the Norwegian forum with pics). http://elbilforum.no/forum/index.php/to ... #msg444229

I must say that this is a very nice solution. Credit to Johannes who sent me the photos.
...
How do you open or download the picture?
It has paperclip indicating attachment.
But selecting and opening image is just the paperclip image.
Is there a download button I am missing?
Or do you need to register with the site to download?

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

dhanson865
Moderator
Posts: 1496
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:12 am
Leaf Number: 16156
Location: Tennessee

Re: Heater OFF switch on 1. gen. "plug &play" solution!

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:55 am

TorC wrote:EDIT: December 2015: This cable harness is now available on http://betterev.tabetalt.no/
Shipping is still very expensive (but this is what the Norwegian Postal service charges me).
1 unit + shipping converts to about $20 US.
2 units + shipping is about $30 US.

Exchange rates are changing to favor the US right now.
Blue 2012 Leaf 195/65/15 tires, 15" Rims
Silver 2012 Leaf 16" stock wheels
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index. ... acity_Loss
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

TorC
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:19 am
Delivery Date: 08 Mar 2013
Location: Sandefjord, Norway

Re: Heater OFF switch on 1. gen. "plug &play" solution!

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:08 pm

TimLee wrote:
TorC wrote:... @Canuck: Here are some pics on how to installl the switch (I am unable to upload, so this is a link to the Norwegian forum with pics). http://elbilforum.no/forum/index.php/to ... #msg444229

I must say that this is a very nice solution. Credit to Johannes who sent me the photos.
...
How do you open or download the picture?
It has paperclip indicating attachment.
But selecting and opening image is just the paperclip image.
Is there a download button I am missing?
Or do you need to register with the site to download?
The pictures should show in the thread. By clicking the name next to the paperclip (such as "sigmont1") should show allow download.

You may use http://betterev.tabetalt.no/Produkt/nis ... v2#product
(the 7th and 8th picture) to see the same pix.

User avatar
DuncanCunningham
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:02 am
Delivery Date: 15 Apr 2015
Location: Bountiful, UT

Re: Heater OFF switch on 1. gen. "plug &play" solution!

Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:25 pm

i got mine earlier this week. Installed it yesterday. My range has already increased, i have clear windows and it helped to keep the car warmer too thanks to the middle setting.

Super job Mr Norway!
Statler: Wake up you old fool. You slept through the show.
Waldorf: Who's a fool? You watched it.

2015 Leaf S (leased until May 2018, Bought out in Jan 2017)
2012 Leaf SL (purchased May 2015)

Canuck
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:09 pm
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2012

Re: Heater OFF switch on 1. gen. "plug &play" solution!

Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:27 am

TorC wrote:You may use http://betterev.tabetalt.no/Produkt/nis ... v2#product
(the 7th and 8th picture) to see the same pix.
That's a perfect spot for it. Thanks. Does anyone know the exact drill bit size?

dhanson865
Moderator
Posts: 1496
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:12 am
Leaf Number: 16156
Location: Tennessee

Re: Heater OFF switch on 1. gen. "plug &play" solution!

Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:11 am

I installed mine today, not a perfect job but it gets the job done. I left it hanging out the front bottom center/rightish near the 12v port with a bit of thin foam wrapped around the wires to relieve some pressure from the faceplate.

56F in my garage so I fired up the leaf and set the temp to 60F and the switch to position II, no heat as far as leafspy and the leaf energy display. Tried turning the heat up to 90F, still no energy usage. Played around for a bit with different modes and eventually got heat. I'm not sure if there is a delay in the response of the control logic that turns on the PTC or if it just isn't cold enough for me to use position II.

Even if that doesn't help much I still have the middle position to get full heat.

I'll have to try a drive to work with it in position II to see how much if any heat comes on in colder temps and with what set point.
Blue 2012 Leaf 195/65/15 tires, 15" Rims
Silver 2012 Leaf 16" stock wheels
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index. ... acity_Loss
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

User avatar
DuncanCunningham
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:02 am
Delivery Date: 15 Apr 2015
Location: Bountiful, UT

Re: Heater OFF switch on 1. gen. "plug &play" solution!

Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:20 am

dhanson865 wrote:I installed mine today, not a perfect job but it gets the job done. I left it hanging out the front bottom center/rightish near the 12v port with a bit of thin foam wrapped around the wires to relieve some pressure from the faceplate.

56F in my garage so I fired up the leaf and set the temp to 60F and the switch to position II, no heat as far as leafspy and the leaf energy display. Tried turning the heat up to 90F, still no energy usage. Played around for a bit with different modes and eventually got heat. I'm not sure if there is a delay in the response of the control logic that turns on the PTC or if it just isn't cold enough for me to use position II.

Even if that doesn't help much I still have the middle position to get full heat.
My Leaf is not Garaged. so it's usually 25F outside in the night right now (February) In Position II I do get heat and it sometimes matched the level of the normal heat (in terms of energy being pulled). If I change the temp required down to about 68F, it will lower the power pulled down to about 1-1.5Kw once the car is nice. I do preheat the car in the mornings so I have to remember to put it back on to the middle setting before I leave the car plugged in each night. I learned that lesson on the first morning getting in and it feeling quite "brisk" inside.
Statler: Wake up you old fool. You slept through the show.
Waldorf: Who's a fool? You watched it.

2015 Leaf S (leased until May 2018, Bought out in Jan 2017)
2012 Leaf SL (purchased May 2015)

User avatar
Stanton
Forum Supporter
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 am
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458
Location: Plano, TX
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Heater OFF switch on 1. gen. "plug &play" solution!

Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:31 pm

Well, I actually used my "heater off" switch today when I had to defrost the windows, and it worked like a charm! I knew I was going to drive a lot today, and instead of returning home with 3 bars I probably would have only had 1 or 2 had it not been for the ability to keep the heat from kicking in when I used the defroster.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

User avatar
DuncanCunningham
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:02 am
Delivery Date: 15 Apr 2015
Location: Bountiful, UT

Re: Heater OFF switch on 1. gen. "plug &play" solution!

Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:17 pm

Stanton wrote:Well, I actually used my "heater off" switch today when I had to defrost the windows, and it worked like a charm! I knew I was going to drive a lot today, and instead of returning home with 3 bars I probably would have only had 1 or 2 had it not been for the ability to keep the heat from kicking in when I used the defroster.
+1

This is a great "range extender" mod for cold climate areas.
Statler: Wake up you old fool. You slept through the show.
Waldorf: Who's a fool? You watched it.

2015 Leaf S (leased until May 2018, Bought out in Jan 2017)
2012 Leaf SL (purchased May 2015)

Return to “Accessories / Mods”