QueenBee
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2062

Re: Heater OFF switch on 1. gen. "plug &play" solution!

Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:52 pm

Stanton wrote:
QueenBee wrote: So when ever you want just the fan to run you'd press the button and then turn the fan on and continue holding the button until you turn the fan off?? That seems a bit extreme from a usability point of view just so you don't have to drill/use the included switch.

You don't need to do anything with the mode 2 lead if you don't wand to use that mode. Connecting the mode 2 wire to the center brown wire would cause you to always be in mode 2 unless mode 1 was on.
Maybe I wasn't clear, but if it's a "locking" button (like the VSP) you wouldn't have to "hold it down" the whole time.
My intent would be for the default of normal operation (no change), and to "engage" for no heat.
My understanding is: if you short the "Mode 2" wore to the center brown wire, you effectively eliminate/defeat that mode; that would leave you with either "Mode 1" or "Mode 0" (no change). If my assumption is incorrect, then hopefully Tor will jump in and correct me.
That would be case IF the VSP button was a "locking" button but it's not. It's just a button.

I'll let Tor correct you as well but think of what the switch included is doing. In off nothing is connected. In mode 1 the mode 1 wire is connected to the center brown wire. In mode 2 the center brown wire is connected to the mode 2 wire. If you hardwire the mode 2 wire to the brown center wire you always be in mode 2. If you leave the mode 2 wire disconnected then by switching mode 1 wire to the center brown wire you can switch between heat off or heat on full.

The heated seat install thread has a diagram of the switch but it basically has three modes. Off, in parrallel or in series controlling the back and bottom heating pads to create the low and high. One would need to verify but I believe the light is switched separately from the main power as part of being able to dim it with the dash lights.

Tor, just to be clear I wasn't critiqueimg your switch and design as its perfect in that it's so simple and thus you were able to have it made affordably. Thanks again!!!

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:59 am

TorC wrote:Another option is to use a push and hold switch. This will hold the position even if the car is turned off. The problem with this is that it can only have to functions ON or OFF.

QeenBees argument about that "OFF" is not very intuitive is point that I have not thought of before, and is very valid. It is sort of a "double denial". Off means that the OFF function is ON.
This is exactly what I'm after (bold added by me above). QueenBee is also right about my "counter intuitive" desire for "off" to mean the heat is "on" (works as originally intended).
I understand that you want a 3-function switch and I want 2-function operation, so I'm not looking for any special design work. Now that I know I had the Mode 1/2 function backwards (for 2-function operation), I'm open to suggestions for a good "on/off" switch to replace the existing switch (and I agree the Nissan OEM switch is way too expensive).

Isn't this car fun?! :D
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
Lithium Pros 12v LiFePO4 battery w/Antigravity Battery Tracker
FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Stanton
Forum Supporter

Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:06 am

QueenBee wrote: If you leave the mode 2 wire disconnected then by switching mode 1 wire to the center brown wire you can switch between heat off or heat on full.
I want to make sure I understand what you are saying: with the current switch/configuration, if I simply disconnect the Mode 2 wire, then the "II" position is effectively the same as the "0" position. That means I can switch between Mode 1/2 and all I will ever get is no heat or full heat (and never partial heat).
If correct, this may be good enough for me. Thanks for your help!
FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers
2013 sun visor

QueenBee

Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:16 pm

Stanton wrote:
QueenBee wrote: If you leave the mode 2 wire disconnected then by switching mode 1 wire to the center brown wire you can switch between heat off or heat on full.
I want to make sure I understand what you are saying: with the current switch/configuration, if I simply disconnect the Mode 2 wire, then the "II" position is effectively the same as the "0" position. That means I can switch between Mode 1/2 and all I will ever get is no heat or full heat (and never partial heat).
Yep, exactly.

Stanton
Forum Supporter

Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:11 pm

QueenBee wrote:
Stanton wrote:
Yep, exactly.
Excellent! Then that leaves just one question (probably for Tor): will "pre-heating" still work when I have selected full heat in my 2-function switch mode?
FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers
2013 sun visor

QueenBee

Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:20 pm

Yep, essentially what is happening is when the switch is off the mod is doing nothing so heat works as normal. When in mode 1 a resistor is connected so that the car reads the heating "coolant" temperature as really hot so it stops heating it. Preheating in mode 1 would turn the car on abd the fans would run but the heater would not cool the loop so no heat would come out.

Mode 2 tells the car the coolant is a little bit warmer than it really is which should result in less heat being lost outside the car.

TorC
Delivery Date: 08 Mar 2013

Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:39 pm

Stanton wrote:
QueenBee wrote:
Stanton wrote:
Yep, exactly.
Excellent! Then that leaves just one question (probably for Tor): will "pre-heating" still work when I have selected full heat in my 2-function switch mode?
Yes. But if you leave your car in "heat OFF" your preheating will not work. It will blow air in, but no heat.

Stanton
Forum Supporter

Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:35 pm

TorC wrote:
Stanton wrote:
QueenBee wrote:
Yep, exactly.
Yes. But if you leave your car in "heat OFF" your preheating will not work. It will blow air in, but no heat.
Understood. If I eventually find an "on/off" switch, I think I will disconnect the Mode 2 wire (as mentioned previously). That will ensure I can pre-heat in "full heat" (Mode 0) and still switch to "no heat" (Mode 1).
FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers
2013 sun visor

Stanton
Forum Supporter

Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:00 am

I found a simple "on/off" switch at AutoZone (with no LED as Tor required) and was able to replace the existing switch so now I only have:
1) Full heat (plus pre-heat)
2) No heat

However, the colors/wires that I had to connect to make it work were completely backwards from what's been said. I had to:
1) Dis-connect the Mode 1 (blue) wire completely
2) Connect the Mode 2 (red) and center (brown) wires across the 2-pole switch to achieve this

I had to Ohm-out the existing 3-pole switch (after dis-connecting all the wires) to discover that it's actually the red wire (not blue) that gets "shorted" to dis-able heat. The only other minor issue was the male connector on the new switch was slightly wider than the existing one, so I had to spread/widen the female connector to get it over; then I covered it with the plastic/rubber gasket (so nothing would short together) and it tightened right up. I (temporarily) put a picture of it at the bottom of my Leaf page http://www.stantonzeff.com/my-nissan-leaf.html
FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers
2013 sun visor

Canuck
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2012

Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:47 pm

I ordered this on Dec. 28 and it arrived today (Vancouver, Canada). That's pretty fast shipping. I installed it in my 2012 SL in under 10 minutes (including watching the YouTube video) and then spent another 10 minutes creating and taping instructions I made below the switch since this car is driven by my kids mainly and sometimes my wife (it's a great car, I just prefer my Tesla):

O = Middle Position is Normal (Full Heat)
I = Heat Off (use to defrost when no heat is required at all)
II = Some Heat (use to defrost when a little heat is needed)

I tested it and it works perfect! I am very pleased, especially since it is really needed in the wet, damp and moist west coast where defrost is a must a lot of the time. Great product and great vendor. Highly recommended. I have temporarily installed the switch in the gap under the cigarette plug. I didn't want to drill the hole until I knew it worked. Now I just need to know the exact drill bit size to permanently install it. If someone knows what size that drill bit is, please let me know. Thanks.

Return to “Accessories / Mods”