wwhitney
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011

Re: Heater OFF switch on 1. gen. Any interest for a "plug &play" solution?

Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi, I got my kit this past week but haven't installed it yet. I'm hoping for a little guidance from those more familiar with Leaf mods:

1) Will it be easier to run the switch wire to (a) the cluster of buttons to the lower left of the steering wheel, or to (b) the location where the seat heater controls would be installed if I had them? Or is there somewhere else I should think about mounting the switch?

2) The switch looks like it is designed to pop into a hole of a specific diameter in a sheet material of a particular range of thicknesses. Any info on those specs? I guess I'll have to take the spade connectors off in order to install the switch.

Thanks,
Wayne

DaveEV

Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:43 pm

I would like to install mine in a seat heater blank, but haven't figured out how to pull off the center console yet.

TorC
Delivery Date: 08 Mar 2013

Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:51 am

Thank you all for positive feedback! It is great to know that you all are happy with the harness, and it does what it was supposed to do.

However I have been told that some thinks the mode2 function heats the water to much, others think it is to cold... I am working on a tiny "add on" to solve this. And for those a bit more handy; it is possible to install a potentimoter on the kit.
drees wrote:
Now to figure out how to pull off the center console, I would like to mount the switch in one of the blanks.
For LEAF owners without the CWP/ seat heater this is a very good placement of the switch. It is very simple to remove that cover. Just take a firm grip between the cupholders and give it a firm pull. (Beware that is will come loose very fast, so be carefull not to pull it from the cables). The whole plastic cover is mounted with simple spring latches. I will try to make a short movie on it soon. And a longer one showing the whole installation process.

Stanton wrote:
Like everyone else? Still haven't received mine... :cry:

If you still have not recieved your kit please send me an e-mail and can send you a new kit. (my e-mail should be in the e-mails you got when you made the order.)

Best regards,

Tor

TorC

Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:08 am

wwhitney wrote:Hi, I got my kit this past week but haven't installed it yet. I'm hoping for a little guidance from those more familiar with Leaf mods:

1) Will it be easier to run the switch wire to (a) the cluster of buttons to the lower left of the steering wheel, or to (b) the location where the seat heater controls would be installed if I had them? Or is there somewhere else I should think about mounting the switch?

2) The switch looks like it is designed to pop into a hole of a specific diameter in a sheet material of a particular range of thicknesses. Any info on those specs? I guess I'll have to take the spade connectors off in order to install the switch.

Thanks,
Wayne

The easiest solution is to install it in the "blanks" where the switches for seat heaters would have been. But should also be possible to install it in one of the blanks on the left side of the steering wheel. This however is a bit more work...

You should be able to drill a hole thru the on of the "blanks" and pop the switch in there.

When reconnecting the "spades" it does not really matter witch of the cables goes where, except for the brown one. The brown must ALWAYS be on the middle one.

This switch is not a special switch. It is just like any other 3 mode switch. So if you find a nicer switch you can use that. You can even use a simple ON/OFF switch, but then you will not be able to use both "modes".
If using other switches you must always use brown + one of the other cables (depending on what mode you want).

Best regards,

Tor

TorC

Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:45 pm

I short video on how to remove the lower center console (cupholder etc)

http://youtu.be/4ohlYEPnDNA

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:57 pm

Thanks for posting ^ ^ ^
I may try mounting the switch there since I don't have heated seats.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

DuncanCunningham
Delivery Date: 15 Apr 2015

Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:48 pm

Just got around to ordering one. I guess since it's -6C (20F) here this past week I'll not be seeing it work for a while but come the spring it will be worth it.

Thanks for making this project a viable product for Leaf owners!!
Statler: Wake up you old fool. You slept through the show.
Waldorf: Who's a fool? You watched it.

2015 Leaf S (leased until May 2018, Bought out in Jan 2017)
2012 Leaf SL (purchased May 2015)

DaveEV

Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:30 pm

Stanton wrote:Thanks for posting ^ ^ ^
I may try mounting the switch there since I don't have heated seats.
+1, thanks Tor! I was afraid that pulling that hard meant I was doing it wrong. I've broken my share of body clips from using excessive force...

QueenBee
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2062

Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:41 am

Thanks again for having this made! Works great and install is easy. Right now i just have it under the steering column gap as I don't need to change it very often but will eventually mount it properly.

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:55 pm

TimLee wrote:Is the switch a three position toggle?
Mode 1 press to the right, Mode 2 press to the left, and Off (no change to original operation) in the center?
Stupid question: which way is "up" (makes a difference which is right and which is left).
In other words: if the "I" is down, is that Mode 1; if the "II" is down, is that Mode 2??
Pretty obvious that the "O" is in the middle (off/no change).

I get my Leaf back this week (new battery pack) and I'm thinking about pulling the center panel and cup holders this weekend.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Return to “Accessories / Mods”