wwhitney
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011

Re: Heater OFF switch on 1. gen. "plug &play" solution!

Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:11 pm

macnut wrote: For installing the switch in the dash you need a 3/4" or 18mm. hole which is probably standard for automotive switches of the round kind.
Thanks for posting this, that was one of my remaining questions. I haven't gotten around to installing mine yet.
macnut wrote: I used a 3/4" spade wood bit as a guide - handheld.
Is there a reason it would be a bad idea to use the 3/4" spade bit to drill the hole in one shot?

Cheers, Wayne

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:00 am

I used a larger UNI-bit and it worked great. Of course if I didn't have a UNI-bit that large I'd have probably used a spade or even metal bit, after all were only talking about relatively thin plastic, basically any drill would work. If using a metal bit I'd use a pilot hole unless your bit had a built in pilot.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

macnut
Leaf Number: 023581

Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:33 am

wwhitney wrote: Is there a reason it would be a bad idea to use the 3/4" spade bit to drill the hole in one shot?
From what I understand, a brad point (a.k.a. spur) bit is preferred for drilling in plastic.

Similar appearance to a spade bit for wood but with a screw type starter.

I was wary of using such a long bit with limited access and not be able to approach it vertically in the location I chose.
Other locations would not be a concern - except you would still have to be vigilant when the bit gets through to not tear into anything behind.

Wasn't familiar with Uni bits but that looks like a good choice if you practice on some scrap with one beforehand.
2012 SL Pearl White
06/2012 build date (44K miles, 9 bars, 71.62% SOH, 51.73%Hx, 47.46Ahr @ 03/2019)
Nokian WR G2
Tor's heater mod

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:45 am

macnut wrote:except you would still have to be vigilant when the bit gets through to not tear into anything behind.

Wasn't familiar with Uni bits but that looks like a good choice if you practice on some scrap with one beforehand.
Yes the nice thing about a unibit is it's point is relatively dull and it's quite short, neither of which can be said about a spade bid, I was also paranoid of cutting or nicking other wires behind the hole. Of course unibits aren't exactly cheap but they come in very handy for other things like sheet metal and such. Lastly what I like about unibits is the one bit has lots of different sizes, just drill deeper for a larger size. I did this for my heater switch, drilled until I came to the correct size and then stopped, oh they also leave a nice clean edge.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

TorC
Delivery Date: 08 Mar 2013

Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:42 am

Greetings!
I have now recieved the last prototype before production of a new switch harness. A few minor changes needs to be done but it really looks great with the "OEM-looking" switch (with lights! :D ) . And with this mod. you do not have to remember to turn the switch to "0" before leaving the car if you want to preheat with Carwings. When you turn the car OFF the switch automaticly returns to normal operation, and when you turn the car ON it will resume to the latest setting.

This will be an "add on" to the "old" harness.

Here is a sneak preveiw:

The "retail" price will be about 150 NOK ($ 15-20) + shipping. I have raised the price on the "old" kit a bit to able to reduce the cost of the new kit. By doing this buyers that already have the the climate control harness will get a lower price on the new kit.

If everything goes according to plan US buyers will benefit from low shipping cost on this kit as well since it will be sent to US-adresses by a US-user here on the forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB0TJN9cWQo

bitmanEV
Delivery Date: 30 Aug 2016

Re: Heater OFF switch on 1. gen. "plug & play" solution!

Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:16 am

Next EV - Byton M-Byte reserved
Nissan Leaf MK1 - Japan build
Renault Zoe R240 - ditched after 8k Miles due crap quality / DS65 WBL
Toyota Rav4 (ICE) SWMBO (rock solid)
Subaru Forester - PX for EV (ODO 200.000+ Miles)
Driving BEV since Dec 2015

bluepassion
Delivery Date: 18 Jun 2016

Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:47 am

Is that a 3 position/way switch ? and does it fit straight in the switch holes on the centre console

Aussie

Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:12 pm

TorC wrote:Greetings!
Hi Tor,

Great product you have! I just put through an order on your website, then read about this update. Is it possible to hold off shipping the harness until you have the additional "OEM-looking switch"? I would love to purchase this as well and would prefer not to pay shipping twice.

Order number is 204.

Thanks!

TorC

Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:38 pm

Aussie wrote:
TorC wrote:Greetings!
Hi Tor,

Great product you have! I just put through an order on your website, then read about this update. Is it possible to hold off shipping the harness until you have the additional "OEM-looking switch"? I would love to purchase this as well and would prefer not to pay shipping twice.

Order number is 204.

Thanks!
Hi,
I can hold off shipping the harness until the switch is available. However, the savings in shipping is not that much since it will be shipped from the US, and the added weight will give a higher shipping cost. The difference in shipping cost is about $ 2. And be aware that I do not have a delivery date for the switch harness yet. And it will be delayed even more since I am trying to make the connectors "fool proof" so that it is to possible to stick the + terminal in the - terminal.

If you want me to ship the climate harness now please send me an e-mail (you will find my address on your order confirmation e-mail and on bottom of my website.) Or else I will wait until the switch harness is in stock.

Best regards,

Tor J. C.

TorC

Re: Heater OFF switch on 1. gen. "plug & play" solution!

Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:56 pm

[quote="bitmanEV"]i used this switch from RS; http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rocker-sw ... /?sra=pstk

That is just the square version of the switch that comes with the climate control harness. It is a lot smaller than the "slots"/blanks.
It will of course work, but is not any easier to fit than the round one.

It is possible to get switches that do fit the empty slots. However they do not look very OEM/factory delivered, and the terminals are 6,3 mm instead of 4,8mm. And it does not solve the problem with having to remember to turn the switch OFF if you want to preheat.

The new switch harness will include an ON/OFF switch that looks just like the other switches in the car and it fits in the empty slots without drilling. It will have lights just like the OEM switch, and it does not require you to remember to turn it of to preheat.

The latest update:

After some testing with "real live customers" I have to make some minor changes, again. This means that the launch is postponed a few weeks again. The main change is adding terminal "holders" so that is not possible to install the cables reversed. This is not really important to the function of the switch or any potential for damage, but for anything connected to the 12v outlet to actually work. The second change is to change the lights from my favorite color blue, to yellowish/orange to match the other switches in the car.

Return to “Accessories / Mods”