TorC
Delivery Date: 08 Mar 2013

Re: Heater OFF switch on 1. gen. Any interest for a "plug &play" solution?

Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:54 pm

Here are some pictures of the "sample"/prototype kit from the factory.

It MIGHT be that the short cables will be all white instead of copy of the Nissan color coding since the factory are unable to get the correct quality cable of "light blue" with silver stripes, and "light green" with silver stripes. If not all the cables are identical to Nissans, it may not be a point in trying. It also MIGHT be that an additional sleeve is put over the three long cables for extra protection.

And please be aware that all orders are possible to change (until shipping). If you want an extra kit, just send me a PM or e-mail. A unproportional part of the cost is shipping due to very high shipping cost from Norway. Shipping 1 or 10 items is about the same cost. So it is possible to save some money on getting in on a group purchase. Image

Edit: I am not able to add images in this post, so please see here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/91mgkyqm5juw2 ... 2.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3enrwwxcic0b ... 2.JPG?dl=0

OR: go to http://betterev.tabetalt.no/Produkt/nis ... v2#product to see even more pictures of the cable harness.

TimLee
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026

Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:50 pm

Is the switch a three position toggle?
Mode 1 press to the right, Mode 2 press to the left, and Off (no change to original operation) in the center?

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

TorC

Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:34 am

TimLee wrote:Is the switch a three position toggle?
Mode 1 press to the right, Mode 2 press to the left, and Off (no change to original operation) in the center?
Yes, that is correct.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:50 pm

That is a very nice kit. If I still had the 2011, I would buy it immediately. I was temporarily disconnecting the heater temperature sensor under the hood and inserting an appropriate resistor to get by. I was planning to do a switch arrangement like your kit, but was reluctant to cut/splice the Leaf's wiring harness. Your plug and play kit with connectors for the harness eliminates the need to damage the car's wiring.

Gerry
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL+ purchased 8/10/2019

TorC

Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:45 am

How to install the cable harness:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM7DqJbAk_c[/youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM7DqJbAk_c

The delivered cable harness will have a 1 meter (about 3 feet) long cable to the switch so it should be possible to install it on the left side of the steering wheel. Where the switch is installed is a matter of preference, and how much work you want to put into it. Keep it simple or install it where you prefer...

@Gerry. Thanks for the feedback. :-)

dhanson865
Leaf Number: 16156

Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:59 am

TorC wrote:How to install the cable harness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM7DqJbAk_c

The delivered cable harness will have a 1 meter (about 3 feet) long cable to the switch so it should be possible to install it on the left side of the steering wheel. Where the switch is installed is a matter of preference, and how much work you want to put into it. Keep it simple or install it where you prefer...

@Gerry. Thanks for the feedback. :-)
Nice, looks like exactly what I want.

If I could route it to a blank button left of the steering wheel that'd be golden but I'm willing to stuff it behind the console in a fixed position or even have it dangle down out the bottom of the console near the center tray/cup holders (if I can do that without damaging the wires).

Either way I'll wait until after the Christmas shipping rush and see if I can get cheaper shipping (call me a cheapskate).

It'll also give me a chance to see how bad the stock setup is (I haven't driven in winter conditions with mine yet). I'd like to have some sort of baseline to compare to.
Blue 2012 Leaf 195/65/15 tires, 15" Rims
Silver 2012 Leaf 16" stock wheels
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index. ... acity_Loss
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

DaveEV

Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:20 am

Got my cable today, hooked it up and can confirm it works as advertised.

Thank you Tor!

Now to figure out how to pull off the center console, I would like to mount the switch in one of the blanks.

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:53 am

Got mine too. It works great!
drees wrote:Got my cable today, hooked it up and can confirm it works as advertised.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

EVerlasting
Delivery Date: 11 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 017329

Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:10 pm

I received the kit on Nov 24th like everyone else via Priority Air Mail. I Installed it today and it works perfectly.

Installing only took fifteen minutes. Removing the center console is easy. Disconnecting the connector plug from the back of Climate Control module took a little longer because mine is a little tight. I had to disconnect the top Hazard switch connector to get better access to the back of Climate Control module.

I routed the kit switch through a small opening in the bottom and it came out near the foot area of driver's side. The cable is long enough to wind it around the center console below the 12V DC cigarette lighter outlet.

Its was 52 degrees outside. Turned on the fan with kit switch on Mode# 1. Fan did not turn on heat and Energy Usage monitor showed no Climate Control consumption. Even in Fresh Air mode with AC on, there was no energy consumption. This is amazing! Since 2013 (I have a 2012 SL), I've been wanting this option every time my windshield fogged up.

I wish I would have ordered Tor's LED light bulbs as well. I am sure they are better than the ultra cheap Chinese ones I ordered from eBay that started flickering after a year.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Tor for this inexpensive, non-invasive, kit. Planning, designing, ordering, website, shipping, responding to everyone's questions and PMs, used your time and resources.

You did this as a Non-Profit service for fellow LEAF owners. Something that Nissan should have done. My thanks to everyone else who created earlier DIY mods as well. Happy Thanksgiving!
2012 Nissan Leaf SL|25,000 miles
Weekly charging using public CHAdeMO station 7 miles from my condo apartment and occasional charging using EVSEupgrade L2 240v 12 amps. 11 capacity bars

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:00 am

EVerlasting wrote:I received the kit on Nov 24th like everyone else via Priority Air Mail. I Installed it today and it works perfectly.
Like everyone else? Still haven't received mine... :cry:
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Return to “Accessories / Mods”