Finding wheels that will fit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msbriggs

I put snow tires on my OEM steel wheels, and want to find some 16" alloys to put the OEM tires on for spring/summer/fall. But, this is turning out to be a little more difficult than expected. The issue of brake caliper clearance is making it seem like I couldn't just pick some wheels online that seem like they should fit (5x114.3, center bore at least 66.1 mm or larger), since they might not clear the front brake calipers.

So, here's a question: if I got wheels that *don't* clear the calipers, couldn't I just put spacers on to push the wheels out a little further so they would fit?

It's also turning out to be surprisingly difficult to find inexpensive used wheels (or take-offs). Between the thriving aftermarket wheel industry, and wrecked cars being parted out, I figured it would be easy to find some slightly used 16" alloys from a recent year Nissan fairly cheaply - but there's almost nothing. I've called most of the salvage yards in this area, and they don't have any. Where are all the wheels going?

You need to add your location to your profile. It's easy to find wheels in some areas.

If you're interested in 16" wheels. I know of two options that have been tried & tested.These wheels have the same exact offsets as the OEM Leaf 16" aluminum wheels (so handling will not change), have the same hub bore diameter (so that the hub helps support the weight, instead of relying only on the lugs to do so), and they clear the brake calipers.

You could add spacers to other wheels, but that solution has issues. It puts more stress on the lugs. It changes the wheel offset, which in turn could affect the handling.

http://www.tirerack.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has sever styles at under $100 each, plus shipping though. Tire rack does some pretty in detail measurements so if it is listed under the leaf I give you a 99.9% it will fit. You can probably find most of those rims at other places too.

If you're looking at used OEM wheels those are always designed to be cheap and strong and fit one model only. There's no incentive for them to make them fit larger brakes than the car offers. Aftermarket wheels on the other hand need to fit as many vehicles as possible so most of them will have plenty of space.

Any good rim shop will do a test fit for you.

I have used http://www.wheelfitment.eu/car/Nissan/Leaf%20%282010%20-%20%29.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to find cars that have the same rims.

As long as you have offset between 35 and 45 mm you should be fine.

The list on the webpage list all cars with the same PCD and center bore, but you have to make sure you get the offset correct.

I use rims from a Nissan X-trail and it fits very well.

You should however try to find rims with Nissan TPMS or else the warning light will indicate low tire pressure...

You probably already know this...

16x6.5 5x114.3 bore +40 offset and 66.5mm

and stock part number

Alloy 62564 or 104M - steel 62607

When I was looking I just searching Nissan 62564 gave me quite a few results.

TorC said:
I have used http://www.wheelfitment.eu/car/Nissan/Leaf%20%282010%20-%20%29.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to find cars that have the same rims.
That site doesn't list the 240SX as a match.

Every 5-lug Nissan & Infiniti vehicle uses the same pitch & bore. The one thing that you can't just look up is whether or not the wheel will interfere with the Leaf's rather large front brake caliper.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've updated my profile to include location - Dover, NH, where there seems to be very little available as far as used wheels on Craigslist or ebay. Actually, there are quite a few "mudder" wheels and tires available on Craigslist around here. :roll:

The only wheel dealers around here seem to be two chains - NTB and Sullivan Tire (a more local one). Sullivan Tire is more expensive (the cheapest wheel they have seems to be $544 for all 4), but I don't really trust NTB.

I was thinking that for the TPMS sensors I could get some of the ~$20 programmable ones and use Leaf Spy to program them myself, so I wouldn't have to worry about paying somebody else to do it. Is that reasonable?

Thanks again!

From one of the local places I'm looking at Anzio Vision or Anzio Light 16" wheels, which would be ~$500 including mounting the original tires, balancing, and installing TPMS sensors that I provide (which I'd rather do, since they sell theirs for $60 each). Both of those Anzio wheels are in the 18-19 pound range (18.9 and 18.3 pounds, respectively), so a bit lighter than OEM.
This is the Vision:
0251.jpg

And the Light:
0222.jpg

I'm partial to the Vision. The ANzio Turn looks nice too:
29616_anzio-Turn-Silver.jpg

Tirerack shows all of them as fits for the Leaf, so I would think that means they do in fact fit.

Now I'm wondering what TPMS sensor to get. There are sooo many different ones - are there aftermarket ones that have been confirmed to work well with the Leaf (ideally programmable ones that can be given the same ID as the OEM ones to simplify winter/summer swaps)?

Thanks!

msbriggs said:
From one of the local places I'm looking at Anzio Vision or Anzio Light 16" wheels, which would be ~$500 including mounting the original tires, balancing, and installing TPMS sensors that I provide (which I'd rather do, since they sell theirs for $60 each). Both of those Anzio wheels are in the 18-19 pound range (18.9 and 18.3 pounds, respectively), so a bit lighter than OEM.
This is the Vision:
0251.jpg

And the Light:
0222.jpg

I'm partial to the Vision. The ANzio Turn looks nice too:
29616_anzio-Turn-Silver.jpg

Tirerack shows all of them as fits for the Leaf, so I would think that means they do in fact fit.

Now I'm wondering what TPMS sensor to get. There are sooo many different ones - are there aftermarket ones that have been confirmed to work well with the Leaf (ideally programmable ones that can be given the same ID as the OEM ones to simplify winter/summer swaps)?

Thanks!

I was told by a tire shop that had great deals on tires that they don't supply TPMS anymore since they have seen so many problems with aftermarket. They only recommend using original and with the prices the dealers want for them they know they are outrageous so they won't even offer buying them then installing and re selling them to me. They said my best bet is to find used ones so that's what I did.

here's the auction I used, http://www.ebay.com/itm/361197471983?item=361197471983&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

I'm pretty sure that these others will fit as they are the same part number with an end of C instead of the D I bought.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Infinity-Ni...MS-OEM-40700-1LA0C-SET-OF-4-OEM-/361256300215

If light weight and cheap is what you want look at these:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...ctSize.do?pc=59985&tmn=Weapon&typ=Car/Minivan
Made in Japan, re brand of the final speed eraser. They're 15.8lbs each and are regarded as a very high quality wheel for the price. Free shipping puts them at $443 delivered with install kit.

minispeed said:
I was told by a tire shop that had great deals on tires that they don't supply TPMS anymore since they have seen so many problems with aftermarket. They only recommend using original and with the prices the dealers want for them they know they are outrageous so they won't even offer buying them then installing and re selling them to me. They said my best bet is to find used ones so that's what I did.

here's the auction I used, http://www.ebay.com/itm/361197471983?item=361197471983&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

I'm pretty sure that these others will fit as they are the same part number with an end of C instead of the D I bought.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Infinity-Ni...MS-OEM-40700-1LA0C-SET-OF-4-OEM-/361256300215

If light weight and cheap is what you want look at these:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...ctSize.do?pc=59985&tmn=Weapon&typ=Car/Minivan
Made in Japan, re brand of the final speed eraser. They're 15.8lbs each and are regarded as a very high quality wheel for the price. Free shipping puts them at $443 delivered with install kit.
Thanks! I hasn't considered the possibility of getting used Nissan tpms sensors, that looks like a great option (assuming they aren't so old that the batteries are getting low). Could there be any issues with them not during in aftermarket wheels? Or so they all use the same size thread?

My main concern with buying wheels online is the possibility that they wouldn't clear the calipers, and also I'd need to pay to have the tires mounted, wheels balanced, which would eliminate most of the savings from buying online.

Well this puts a crimp in my plans - I just discovered that the OEM Leaf Sensors (which I just bought off of ebay) will apparently *NOT* fit the Anzio Turn wheels I was in the process of ordering. Ugh. Ok.... that changes things....

Here's a question - if I got some Nissan 17" Juke take-offs, how much could I sell my practically new Ecopias for? (the ones that came on the car, which have 1,000 miles on them)

msbriggs said:
Here's a question - if I got some Nissan 17" Juke take-offs, how much could I sell my practically new Ecopias for? (the ones that came on the car, which have 1,000 miles on them)
I recently sold a set of Goodyear tires that same size (with more miles on them - wheels not included) for $200 on Craigslist.
If you clean them up nice & take good pictures it helps. :)

Since you bought juke wheels it doesn't help much but you can fit TPMS to any wheel with adapters. There are 2 styles, one is just a big strap that goes around the wheel, the second (which I have on my 2 piece wheels) has a stem with a small O opening at the bottom and then the stock TPMS screws into that. In both cases the TMPS is 100% inside the wheel and you fill the air from another valve.

Battery life has been said 5 to 12 years and up to 100,000 miles. I think that a non OEM TPMS is likely to not last as long as an OEM one. That's one of the reasons I got the latest version, D I think. The link I sent you was C. I think they were using A or B back when the leaf first came out (would have to search to confirm this). So it's a safe guess that they shouldn't be more than 3 years old already.

I figure the cost of replacing 1 or 2 sensors that fail with used sensors again is still less than buying 4 new OEM ones.

garsh said:
msbriggs said:
I recently sold a set of Goodyear tires that same size (with more miles on them - wheels not included) for $200 on Craigslist.
If you clean them up nice & take good pictures it helps. :)

I sold mine for $225 a few years ago, so $200 sounds like the most they'd go for. The trick is to market them for people with economy cars, by emphasizing the LRR aspect and how it's good for fuel economy. The woman who bought mine was driving a Corolla, or maybe a Civic - I for get which.

garsh said:
You need to add your location to your profile. It's easy to find wheels in some areas.

If you're interested in 16" wheels. I know of two options that have been tried & tested.These wheels have the same exact offsets as the OEM Leaf 16" aluminum wheels (so handling will not change), have the same hub bore diameter (so that the hub helps support the weight, instead of relying only on the lugs to do so), and they clear the brake calipers.

You could add spacers to other wheels, but that solution has issues. It puts more stress on the lugs. It changes the wheel offset, which in turn could affect the handling.

Any threads where someone's actually installed the Altima alloys on a LEAF? I'd like to verify that NO adaptation was needed (given the large brake calipers on the LEAF)...

Also, I believe the Altima rims were only from 2002-2004, not 2006??

link: http://www.factorywheelwarehouse.com/2002-2004-nissan-altima-16x6-5-62396?gclid=CjwKCAjwo87YBRBgEiwAI1LkqcmhDNkc974Tk9Z_XSqsjsK5unyc0Cynk-0O7dM62kkI3faYeA-KgBoCh58QAvD_BwE

RRLeafEV said:
garsh said:
Any threads where someone's actually installed the Altima alloys on a LEAF? I'd like to verify that NO adaptation was needed (given the large brake calipers on the LEAF)...
Yep. Click that link in my post that you quoted. You'll see a picture of my leaf with the Altima wheels mounted. Note that those wheels are the same size & offset as the Leaf's 16" wheels. No spacers or adapters were required.
Also, I believe the Altima rims were only from 2002-2004, not 2006??
Yes, I believe you are correct.

Anyhow, here are some images of my car with the Altima wheels:
bm4Txh6gxbWJD2O9ljc1uxF_IjrarCZTodxRhkApZ3np_HZ-7YElaEq64nzPKoyIHTdbk60ifIyBQ3_0Y5lxUYcxW44hJWETP6tk5hg48TeT9gzTkQkMlhm1j21WDcB4-5ILgLs7ksDy8QML9zROwqCyr-jdVHxutV-Z8jHVKQIc1ArYNGSOcMw7ZNZAFKzLRXxDfx3LjvWj4346MtjnW5RmmeCjUPoGZgKb6dfvdrBeZ7XVFAdUtS_YdziyHS2k6c-F0K4IN56rvzQUjEaJYKQiH-TdvU42rgPSrC4Z7K1rt8Pc9_H1FVgqZORj4l9aRO4KLoBy7a-rRLS2DXLECl7KI9fWAQthfXTLO1anJAxOTM_HACwIY9RDY8v2oMfDVlnJWFryTDbXh9HCL6ea8mI0hyhhtIsQGXlKrdtFvI7HPdqp6KgC1B9eHrbL2ozj-9Vm_RqGozQtjGTYdBWaTcAMBR-Hr8sPtAGQHcPTX-YXDQKEwid5BQesyedz6bPLki36okkxfOSQdp1RlEPcyelmWkNyyVm5z_2dv1n9Aca1xHJcWgri16eYreG8ZmYdrpcfpw=s944

nn5avz9GgfAAfxq2cT4JbPiIgvqlECgMz0HMWb31HFLtnNKR_qxiMTY70412C1bWcMV0nHjWluzr_GKS7W1WqImvVLGbr5D6m7Dlv9XraCSrYhhSKN_hbG8P7K9Cv-WnlnkAaNwEx_Fr3lg59KC40ISXiRBXLMGJngiETl9ha9jpQgd3Sm3_OqjfW0X4qoQR-0BhlAweM99XrKMJFNDfjbLVHWpBOxxxc0MTm2Cin8ScB-6p1rsmK_ukXp0Cah5R4PrPTVZdV1Rg01XjatJnGkY7h1fX08JfSfrAsQ9vhqxzCb9_ZqYjEQCTQRtEPtc45nbyGqE884TC70iuIClLcqthMWqQ08IBfKjUVOxkSE4lp1i-rMr1atdPv5gzBE_TIYisUaVceR1Cfpn_tf7WkufJVDr6jQciuQFFidBFY0IMePCnCwjUaJpybkAQeG2kOZH2X0Q3Bbr1JD_ldUGSJ8TmE-e_hZhi3tV-8EHIAYpRcQy9SV6Tm8_nZ_QSGovWbGzaCfnZlCVA2Cl3RBJYXkwMuwaD9aOKVro-bwwNEBILlFp7dbhnOIw6CBNHXhMzDp7pNg=s998

Back