User avatar
Electric4Me
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:25 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 772
Location: Union City, CA

Re: Bike Rack

Sun May 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Christopher wrote:
blorg wrote:Well, come on then, where are the bloody pictures! I want to see.)
I've got pictures of the gathering plus a video of Bill demoing his bike hitch on my web site:
http://crimdom.net/photos/2011/bay-leaf ... index.html
Thanks for posting those! In this case a video is worth a thousand pictures! :D

As far as violating leases with installing something like this, there are only a couple of holes drilled and the hole in the plastic bottom shield. I highly doubt any lease return would be scrutinized that closely. Worst case a new shield could be installed. Lease returns aren't a new thing...maybe ask around with folks that have turned in leased cars before? Ask some dealers what the process is?

I don't know what price I will offer the hitch at yet. It took me a week after work to make this prototype so I have to talk to some machine shops about building the parts as my garage tools are not a sustainable mfgr process...

Bill
Bill Davis
2011 Cayenne Red SL
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
6.4 kW PV system
Fun in the Leaf! (video)

DarkStar
Posts: 2066
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:06 am
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Contact: Website

Re: Bike Rack

Mon May 16, 2011 8:42 am

Electric4Me wrote:Hey folks, I have developed a quick release bike rack hitch for the Leaf (with input and help from a couple of guys here) that I debuted today at the Bay Area Leaf meeting. I'll try and add some pics soon, and will also start a new thread about it. My goal is to make it available to all.

My initial testing has found minimal impact at modest speed. My 30 mile RT commute is about 1/2 freeway where I was driving ~60 and my miles/kWh dropped from my usual 3.8 to ~3.2. I took some detailed notes in some pre-rack tests and I'll compare to after soon.
Christopher wrote:I've got pictures of the gathering plus a video of Bill demoing his bike hitch on my web site:
http://crimdom.net/photos/2011/bay-leaf ... index.html
I'm way impressed! With the receiver release mechanism under the trunk floor mat this is a very slick, clean mod!
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

User avatar
Electric4Me
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:25 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 772
Location: Union City, CA

Re: Bike Rack

Mon May 16, 2011 9:08 am

DarkStar wrote: I'm way impressed! With the receiver release mechanism under the trunk floor mat this is a very slick, clean mod!
Thanks! Now I just have to figure out how to make it affordable for others! I'm hoping for <$200. Worst case I could make the drawing available and folks could go into a custom hitch shop to have it built.
Bill Davis
2011 Cayenne Red SL
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
6.4 kW PV system
Fun in the Leaf! (video)

blorg

Re: Bike Rack

Mon May 16, 2011 9:42 am

Electric4Me wrote: Thanks for posting those! In this case a video is worth a thousand pictures! :D

As far as violating leases with installing something like this, there are only a couple of holes drilled and the hole in the plastic bottom shield. I highly doubt any lease return would be scrutinized that closely. Worst case a new shield could be installed. Lease returns aren't a new thing...maybe ask around with folks that have turned in leased cars before? Ask some dealers what the process is?

I don't know what price I will offer the hitch at yet. It took me a week after work to make this prototype so I have to talk to some machine shops about building the parts as my garage tools are not a sustainable mfgr process...

Bill
Wow, that's very cool. Thanks to whoever shot the video.

That's perfect, and it looks like it's a standard receiver size, so I should be able to use my existing rack in there, right? Might need an extender to get it far enough away from the bumper. What is the clearance from the ground to the receiver? My SoftRide doesn't put the bikes up nearly has high as it looks like your rack does, so that might be the next issue for me (bikes hanging to low and hitting the ground on bumps/driveways).

User avatar
Electric4Me
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:25 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 772
Location: Union City, CA

Re: Bike Rack

Mon May 16, 2011 9:49 am

blorg wrote:Wow, that's very cool. Thanks to whoever shot the video.

That's perfect, and it looks like it's a standard receiver size, so I should be able to use my existing rack in there, right? Might need an extender to get it far enough away from the bumper. What is the clearance from the ground to the receiver? My SoftRide doesn't put the bikes up nearly has high as it looks like your rack does, so that might be the next issue for me (bikes hanging to low and hitting the ground on bumps/driveways).
Good question. I haven't measured it as it's certainly higher than on my lowered Subaru. ;) I did cut & vertically extend my homemade bike rack a few years ago for that reason. I'll try to measure it tonight. As for receiver size, I made mine in the 2" size, but could make them in 1-1/4" also.

Bill
Bill Davis
2011 Cayenne Red SL
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
6.4 kW PV system
Fun in the Leaf! (video)

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10091
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: Bike Rack

Mon May 16, 2011 9:51 am

Great work on the bike rack.

palmermd
Posts: 2621
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:19 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA

Re: Bike Rack

Thu May 19, 2011 9:40 am

how much weight will this receiver support? I'd like to use it not only for bikes but also for my cargo rack which is similar to this one...


Image
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2018 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996


Leaf Bar Loss

User avatar
Electric4Me
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:25 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 772
Location: Union City, CA

Re: Bike Rack

Thu May 19, 2011 10:16 am

palmermd wrote:how much weight will this receiver support? I'd like to use it not only for bikes but also for my cargo rack which is similar to this one...
The design has plenty of load carrying capability. I'll confirm the amount, but 200 lbs at least (including rack). I also performed a bounce test with a cargo platform:
Image

Edit: I modified my rack in the picture above to have metal heat shields so that my ICE cars wouldn't melt my cargo (which they did once). THAT won't be a necessary feature on the Leaf!! :lol:

Edit 2: I also stood on the end of a 4' beam and the rack didn't flex too much.
Bill Davis
2011 Cayenne Red SL
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
6.4 kW PV system
Fun in the Leaf! (video)

palmermd
Posts: 2621
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:19 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA

Re: Bike Rack

Thu May 19, 2011 10:21 am

Electric4Me wrote:
The design has plenty of load carrying capability. I'll confirm the amount, but 200 lbs at least (including rack). I also performed a bounce test with a cargo platform

Edit 2: I also stood on the end of a 4' beam and the rack didn't flex too much.
Ok, whats the paypal address? haha.
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2018 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996


Leaf Bar Loss

User avatar
Electric4Me
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:25 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 772
Location: Union City, CA

Re: Bike Rack

Thu May 19, 2011 10:40 am

palmermd wrote:
Electric4Me wrote:
The design has plenty of load carrying capability. I'll confirm the amount, but 200 lbs at least (including rack). I also performed a bounce test with a cargo platform

Edit 2: I also stood on the end of a 4' beam and the rack didn't flex too much.
Ok, whats the paypal address? haha.
I'm trying to work this out, and decide if I need to outsource the fab for liability reasons... I would love to make copies in my garage to earn some beer money, but wouldn't want to risk the house in the process! One thought I had was to sell partially assembled (tack welded) kits. Folks could weld it themselves or find a shop or buddy to do it... My main goal is to get one to as many people as possible!
Bill Davis
2011 Cayenne Red SL
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
6.4 kW PV system
Fun in the Leaf! (video)

Return to “Accessories / Mods”