3g connection going away no more phone connection

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerys

SO got the notice that February? no more Connect EV for my leaf because there won't be a 3G connection any longer as that function is turned off on AT&T towers etc..

SO I WANT this functionality at least when I am at home. is there a way for me to make my own little low power 3g transceiver to wifi connection for the car to connect to? ie spoof the credentials of the car so it "thinks" its connecting to a tower?

Maybe someone with connection with nissan can work with us to enable this functionality? IE some open source 3g solution that the car can be programmed to "connect" with.

This way I can at least check charge status start stop hvac etc.. when I am at home even if I can't do it easily while mobile.

nerys said:
SO got the notice that February? no more Connect EV for my leaf because there won't be a 3G connection any longer as that function is turned off on AT&T towers etc..

SO I WANT this functionality at least when I am at home. is there a way for me to make my own little low power 3g transceiver to wifi connection for the car to connect to? ie spoof the credentials of the car so it "thinks" its connecting to a tower?

Maybe someone with connection with nissan can work with us to enable this functionality? IE some open source 3g solution that the car can be programmed to "connect" with.

This way I can at least check charge status start stop hvac etc.. when I am at home even if I can't do it easily while mobile.
There technically is if you buy a "micro-cell" 3G and route the data through your Internet connection, but my guess is most carriers will begin killing all the micro-cells in the near future so they can recycle that frequency spectrum for the 4G/5G connections. It will be hit or miss if you can even buy one now unfortunately. :(

those seem pretty easy to get but how do you "route" them to my own internet? I thought they just boosted the "existing" signal ie a direct repeater?

OH it seems they do in fact route to your own internet !! I just bought one its only $12.95 shipped so worth an impulse gamble

nerys said:
those seem pretty easy to get but how do you "route" them to my own internet? I thought they just boosted the "existing" signal ie a direct repeater?

OH it seems they do in fact route to your own internet !! I just bought one its only $12.95 shipped so worth an impulse gamble

They actually function as a tiny tower, usually limited to +5 connections. They have GPS sensor usually that you have to get setup first, so the micro-cell can dial in the power level as not to interfere with the other actual towers in the area. They are usually plug n' play, but for the Leaf, I think it uses the AT&T network, so depending on what part of the world you live in, try to buy one made for the carrier in your area that was working originally with your Leaf. Again, I don't know how long they will work though, the carriers might block them in the near future or maybe just not worry about it since they only have enough power to reach around the house or yard for the most part.

yeah I am reading they only have around a 100ft range. I am more than 100ft from any neighbor so interference is a non issue.

Them "allowing" it to keep working is the issue :-( I ordered one since it was only $14.01 with tax and will see what it does though not sure how to confirm if it works???

I can just mount it on the underside of my carport right above the car so it will only be 10ft from the car when its parked.

That is very cool but sadly would require "service" IE a sim card to work. I don't want it bad enough to have yet another monthly bill I can't afford. (not many low cost sim options in the US for this type of thing)

Assuming the micro cell works I see two issues. AT&T disabling it (why. it literally can't hurt anything to leave them running) and Nissan killing it (again why it literally can't hurt or cost anything)

but I can easily see either of them killing it :-(

Is there an OVMS option that uses wifi? ie no cell signal at all? while remote mobile usage is nice its not a huge deal. what I really want is access to the nissan app at least while at home.

Back