CCS upgrade, DIY How-to

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dala

Leaf Supporting Member
Hi,
Since I've now done battery upgrades & power upgrades, it is time to move on towards charger upgrades. The development in Europe seems to be >90% CCS for new quickchargers, so we need this for the aging LEAF platform.

I'll be doing the first pilot vehicle over the winter, I'll post video updates as more progress is made.

The end result will be a how to wiki/github page with all the components you need and instructions for how to do this modification on your own. Oh and did I mention all this will be available for free? Let's get started, here's the first video:

https://youtu.be/i-PCe-cD5d4

Great as always, thanks for doing this for the community.

I am curious, are you exploring along the way how to make it work with the videos or do you already have a good idea of what needs to be done, just working out how to plan it out step by the step for the video? :mrgreen:

Also, what is the best way to donate to this project to maximize how much you will get to help. I don't know what cut donation services take since so many exist, so whichever has the best percentage for you, let me know. :shock:

SageBrush said:
Popcorn ready!
Even though I realize that you are adapting for CCS2

The same procedure should work for CCS1, by using an US-spec BMW i3 LIM instead of the EU-spec one!

knightmb said:
Great as always, thanks for doing this for the community.

I am curious, are you exploring along the way how to make it work with the videos or do you already have a good idea of what needs to be done, just working out how to plan it out step by the step for the video? :mrgreen:

Also, what is the best way to donate to this project to maximize how much you will get to help. I don't know what cut donation services take since so many exist, so whichever has the best percentage for you, let me know. :shock:

I make it all up as I go along :lol: If you wanna help, hop on over to Patreon ( www.patreon.com/dala )

Wow. How cool.

So is this modification going to remove/replace the CHAdeMO port, or will this add in an extra (3rd port) for more charging options? Just wondering, because I've heard cool things about future V2G capabilities that seem to rely on CHAdeMO, so it might be worth keeping it for that.

Dala said:
@BAsrican The Chademo will be left functional! This is an add-on.

@alozzy V2X done right does not harm the battery at all. Quite the opposite.

Wow, now I'm really curious to see it in action when finished. :shock:

The voltage sensing board is now available for purchase from EVcreate. I've updated the components needed on the wiki page.

p9460QK.jpg

Here's a direct link if anyone playing along at home wants to get it: https://www.evcreate.nl/shop/charging/voltage-sense-board-bmw-i3-lim/

Crazy exciting stuff to get this moving forwards :)

Great to see the hardware, thanks for sharing.

Here is a more robust HV measuring circuit used by Meiden in their EV motor inverter. Tesla also uses a similar divider circuit but has an additional level of redundancy and robustness against a corona event or a single-point failure of ceramic chip capacitors.

49874348908_712575a169_b.jpg

Interestingly, MUXSAN seems to be offering CCS upgrades now with their extender packs:

https://www.muxsan.com/English/products.html#ccs-upgrade

alozzy said:
Interestingly, MUXSAN seems to be offering CCS upgrades now with their extender packs...
Wow. Those guys offer pretty much anything you'd want to enhance your Leaf, if you have the money.

All battery packs essentially interchangeable. Just wow.

You might recall user @muxsan, who used to drop by here quite a bit. I'm not surprised his business has been a success as he's super smart, well educated, and hard working.

I'm sure all of their products are of excellent quality, well supported, but definitely not cheap!

Also, you pretty much have to live near the Netherlands to use their services. If I'm ever there on vacation, I will try to get a tour of their shop.

alozzy said:
You might recall user @muxsan, who used to drop by here quite a bit. I'm not surprised his business has been a success as he's super smart, well educated, and hard working.

I'm sure all of their products are of excellent quality, well supported, but definitely not cheap!

Also, you pretty much have to live near the Netherlands to use their services. If I'm ever there on vacation, I will try to get a tour of their shop.

Wow, Muxsan is definitely a wizard in the Leaf world. Here's hoping Dala is able to start doing CCS upgrades as well - Netherlands is a long way away

Back