I put a 12 watt booster on my VPS speaker... is it wrong to laugh?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knightmb

I also wired in the ability to link it with Bluetooth as a speaker (I mean, why not) and now it is so loud that is sounds like a jet engine when driving. :lol:
I think I should make a video of the reactions from people and drivers, especially when I pipe in some Bluetooth sounds of a jet engine airplane taking off when accelerating, but well I better research my local sound laws first just in case....
Anyway.... am I being immature or just trying to get revenge on all those people with loud exhaust? I couldn't believe how loud those 2 speakers can get, I mean my wife heard me driving half-a-mile away (well, we do live on top of a hill to be fair).
Feedback is certainly welcome.

goldbrick said:
I think the sound of galloping horses would be more fun, but that's just me. Sounds like a fun project (no pun intended)

I'm using a soundboard app on my phone. The funniest thing so far was playing loud diesel engines sounds, next to another loud diesel engine truck. The look on their face, like "WTF" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm using a soundboard app on my phone. The funniest thing so far was playing loud diesel engines sounds, next to another loud diesel engine truck. The look on their face, like "WTF"

Now that sounds like fun. I've always wanted the sound of the original Jupiter 2, from Lost In Space. I used to, back in the days of DOS, use a little .VOC player called PLANY to add sound clips to the DOS menus I wrote. The theme from "Leave it to Beaver" for solitaire, a Cylon saying "By Your Command" for the Games submenu...I digress. Here's a suggestion, though: the theme from Star Wars, perhaps accompanied by the sounds of various fighters from the movie.

It can all be yours for only $30 worth of hardware. All I've done is purchase a "karaoke" board with a lithium battery backup. Has a 12 watt amplifier and a mic in port, Bluetooth speaker (even radio technically), splice into both or one of the VPS speakers in the front grille (well for the Gen 2, I think the Gen 1 only had one VPS speaker in the wheel well somewhere). Then either use the pass through of the Mic to amplify the original car sounds or use the Bluetooth speaker mode and it cuts off the Mic input and plays whatever you play on your phone.

I guess I should make a tutorial for it with pictures and stuff (now that it works), will have to take everything apart again, but it might be worth it for some here to have a fun project to make people go nuts. :mrgreen: :lol:

I'll put together some pictures and breakdown. Right now, I'm just using probe wires and a box to hold everything. Works fine as long as it doesn't rain or the ride get too bumpy, but need to make something more "permanent" and weather resistant. Recycle some Nissan electronic connectors, a real box for the electronics, etc. :?
I mainly wanted to see if it would even work, was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to setup. :mrgreen:

Thinking about it, it might make more sense, especially for leased vehicles, to just use a weatherproof Bluetooth speaker or two, located near the VSP speakers, to drown them out. I may try that. The trick is to find the right app...

Personally, I'd like an idling steam locomotive (steam hiss, generator whine, air brake compressor pumping a few strokes every few seconds, maybe an occasional safety valve popoff) while standing still, then exhaust chuffs (and a few seconds of cylinder cock venting) when I start to move.

Since LeafSpy Pro seems incapable of turning off the awful factory VSP sounds in my 2021 model, I would love to change them with this mod.
Hoping more info is forthcoming.

If you do find time to put together a tutorial on this, that would be fantastic.

I pinged Dala about this the other day and he said to have a dig around the forums here.

I'd love to be able to make the car louder and change the sounds.

Well, my wife has kind of killed this project due to her disapproval of it being something along the lines of what the local teenagers do when they put fart cans on their exhaust and roam around town just to be loud.
When I get a chance, I post up the board used and locations where I had it setup in the Leaf and anyone else can run with that. Guess I'm just too old to be annoying to the locals. :lol:

Much appreciated if you do get time.

One of my neighbours has a friend with a taycan. Makes an awesome noise. I'm up for tweaking my humble leaf and amping it up a bit.

There are phone apps like "XLR8" that can generate different engine sounds using the phone accelerometer to change the sound according to what you're doing. Install that, wire your phone to the speaker (or even stuff a dedicated cheapo phone under the hood) and you're set. Disclaimer: I haven't tried any so can't swear to the realism and sound quality.

I've found RevHeadz app on the PlayStore, and it has the OBD-II connection and should work when accelerating.
But it seems that it doesn't work either with electric vehicle (because it looks for torque/RPM?), or because of my OBD device...

Also, I've got the other idea, to stick the transducer speaker somewhere on the car and bring the wire to the amplifier.
Might try to do that :D

Back