Aeromod nissan leaf improved aerodynamics increased range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so what is most efficient? closing the front air inlet?

anybody worked on the e-NV200 as well?

what about adding door seals to the LEAF, like any premium manufacturer?

Most efficient is completely removing all bodywork and replacing it with a properly engineered aerodynamic shape.

Yes, the e-nv200 can be improved significantly with a partial kamm back as well as smooth undertrays.

The Leaf already has door seals.

Lothsahn said:
Dala said:
For anyone wanting a stealthy grille blocker:
https://dalasevrepair.fi/#block-off-plates

Free, 3d-printable and modular.

Dala,

Do you know what temperature we could reasonably get up to with this kit installed? We regularly hit 38C where I live, but I also never QC. I have a 2011. Would a 24 kWh that only drives up to 60 miles at a time ever run into a problem?

What components might overheat as a result of the reduced airflow?

You will get a message on the dash if the AC system gets to overtemperature conditions. Then just remove one section. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Hi, has anyone got these front lips https://ezlip.com/ on their Leaf?

Does it improve efficiency/milleage on highway speeds?

Thanks

I'm making a camera system that replaces the mirrors on the NIssan Leaf '10-'17

Why? Three things:
- The Leaf mirrors add a surprising amount of drag through their horrible aft aerodynamics (the airflow basically immediately detaches at any significant speed)
- The Leaf mirrors cause some noise, especially in crosswind. Turbulent air from the A pillar impinges on the relatively hollow mirror assembly (which is rigidly attached to the door frame and not sound insulated), causing lotsa noise
- The mirrors stick out quite a lot

So the way I'm designing the cameras now, they actually aren't wider than the car body, obviating the need for an articulating folding mechanism. Because the camera's view is always the same, there is no need for adjustment either. It's just a 3D printed enclosure with a camera inside.

The cameras, for now, are Raspberry Pi cameras, displayed by a Pi Zero 2 on a random 5" display. One set for each mirror. This isn't efficient but easy to prototype.

Regulatory requirements

So, here in the Netherlands we apparently do not yet have hard regulations around side mirror-replacement cameras. The entirety of validation consists of - paraphrased:

"If the mirrors are replaced by a camera system, the camera system shall be properly mounted - tested by a visual inspection"

Ultimately UN/ECE rule 56 will be enforced in the future, which also adds a bunch of further technical requirements. However, for the time being, this is an easy playground for experimentation and a great way to get to understand the design space of this tech. Or, in the timeless words of William Osman: it's 3D printing time!

The things

OaAi5ojp7rSAknutW7XWioGY.jpg

zjIrAZh1PByI5l0k5On65pLU.jpg

I'm not nearly done yet

This is more of a project announcement than everything done and dusted. I like to show projects early so y'all can shoot on it and suggest things to do. There are still a lot of unknowns in this project. A small selection of questions I still have:

- Adding up the component cost, this isn't a cheap mod. It's looking like a kit would be at least $500 for the full set of mirrors and displays. I'm pretty sure this is not really commercially viable, so I'm debating whether to open source it or do some codevelopment. If there's commercial potential, I'm willing to put in the money to get it approved.
- Does anybody know anywhere I can find a heated flat glass lens? I'd like the thing to be self-clearing of moisture
- Thinking of repurposing the camera folding button to make the assembly turn down, showing the curb instead of a rear view
- Can I just... use a CSI to HDMI adapter and directly show the camera image on an HDMI display? I can only find adapter boards that work the other way around though - HDMI to CSI, which is kinda pointless.

Links and addenda

https://op.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/a1c2892e-b3ff-11e3-86f9-01aa75ed71a1

This looks like a fantastic project. Please keep the updates coming.

As many of us are hobbyist ev enthusiasts, $500 for a few extra tenths of a KM/kWh is a fine trade. I paid over $1000 USD for lighter rims (EV01+), which will likely never pay off in energy saved.

Back