shocks to go with H&R springs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FallingLeaves

Hi leafies

I get carsick as a driver in our 2019 Leaf. Passengers also get car sick. It doesn't handle emergency swerves well on the highway. These are the reasons why I am looking to upgrade to a stiffer suspension....I'm interpreting my problem as one of body roll and dive. I don't care about lowering the car. I'd prefer to keep ride height the same, but it seems spring upgrades come with a drop.

I've searched and mainly found threads on springs or coil overs for the previous gen. This is a lease car, so I'm setting my limit at springs only.

It seems that H&R makes a set of springs for the 2019 Leaf. My questions are:
1) are the stock shocks a good match or will they have detrimental interactions?
2) if I were to replace the shocks, which are good value shocks?

I'm not autocrossing this or anything, I'm just nauseous from the ride.

Thanks in advance.

What tires do you have and what pressure are you inflating them to? My experience with all three LEAFs is that they handle better, feel more stable in wind, tires last much longer, and wet braking traction is improved by inflating the tires to at least 40 psi (preferably 44 psi which is sidewall maximum cold inflation pressure for OEM tires supplied by Nissan). If the car wallows, bounces, and dives with OEM tires inflated to 44 psi, then you will need improved damping and possibly increased spring rates. Increased spring rates will probably not help without increased damping so you will need new front struts and rear shock absorbers.

It is possible that you have defective shock absorbers or struts so you might want to check with your dealer about repairs under warranty.

GerryAZ said:
What tires do you have and what pressure are you inflating them to? My experience with all three LEAFs is that they handle better, feel more stable in wind, tires last much longer, and wet braking traction is improved by inflating the tires to at least 40 psi (preferably 44 psi which is sidewall maximum cold inflation pressure for OEM tires supplied by Nissan). If the car wallows, bounces, and dives with OEM tires inflated to 44 psi, then you will need improved damping and possibly increased spring rates. Increased spring rates will probably not help without increased damping so you will need new front struts and rear shock absorbers.

It is possible that you have defective shock absorbers or struts so you might want to check with your dealer about repairs under warranty.

ok, I'll try this first.
thanks for the advice.

GerryAZ said:

Thanks. I'll try that before trying the springs.

In the meantime, I emailed H&R and they responded within 30 minutes, their response below:
"Thank you for reaching out to us! We do not have a damper recommendation per se, however, the 28685-1 kit is designed to work with factory spec dampers. Therefore, any quality aftermarket OEM style damper should work fine. Thanks again and please let me know if you have any other questions!"

I'm also curious about suspension upgrades for better handling. I own a 2019 SL Plus, has anyone added stiffer springs, better shocks, or otherwise improved the handling on a new gen Leaf? It seems to me this Leaf understeers but I'm not an expert driver.

Back