A warning indicator for an unlatched flap would be nice

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbquikcomjamesl

Twice, now, I've driven off with my flap ajar. Once, months ago, when I didn't push it down after removing the charging cable, and once, last night, after I had it fitted with sonar.

It can be a little disconcerting to have your flap suddenly pop open, with no advance warning, while driving down the freeway at a speed somewhere north of 55. :eek: :shock: And it probably doesn't do much for the aerodynamics. Or the flap hinges.

I did this only once shortly after getting our first LEAF. The embarrassment has kept me from forgetting since :oops: :lol:

It has happened like 5-7 times for me & I think what is happening is I am somehow pressing the release button on the key fob when I am not next to the car and then drive off without noticing.

The speed when the charge door opens explain why the hinges are so over built relative to that door size/weight.

I personally wish that it was hinged on the other side so if left unlocked it would not be slammed open at freeway speeds.

SalisburySam said:
Oh, you mean the charging cover! Sorry, I was thinking of a different flap flying open at speed...and very confused.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
But unless you're talking about the rear opening on a full drop-seat union suit, I think the technical term for that would be "fly."

And damn straight those hinges are built like a (ahem) masonry privy.

And yes, having my flap pop open on the freeway once was enough that I immediately cultivated a habit of making sure it's latched when I close it. But what happens if somebody else (like an autosound installer putting in a sonar unit) hits the flap-release by mistake? I wonder if he thought the flap-release button on the key was a trunk-release (it does say "hold," just like a trunk-release).

I do note that there's plenty of room under the flap to mount a microswitch (probably with an extra-long spring lever). It would probably take a fair amount of trial-and-error to get the end of the lever high enough to where a latched flap will hold it open, yet low enough that it would close with the flap ajar, and allow the flap to go all the way down without crushing the switch, but I think it could be done. Then just wire it to an indicator light and a beeper, on the 12V bus.

HerdingElectrons said:
It has happened like 5-7 times for me & I think what is happening is I am somehow pressing the release button on the key fob when I am not next to the car and then drive off without noticing.

The speed when the charge door opens explain why the hinges are so over built relative to that door size/weight.

I personally wish that it was hinged on the other side so if left unlocked it would not be slammed open at freeway speeds.

I had it happen a few times with the 2019 after I started working remotely from my workshop garage so I was spending all day within fob radio range of the car. It was apparently caused by other keys in my pocket pressing the release button on the fob inadvertently. I now make sure that I check the latch before driving after having the charging port door pop up a few times while driving on the freeway--good thing the hinges are strong when it opens at 70+ mi/hr.

Back