Page 58 of 60

PM response and afterthoughts on battery install

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:41 pm
by jbsocdelica
Some one PM'd me about some suggestion having gone through this (see my other posts), I tried to write them back, but there was an SQL error, so I'm posting most of what I attempted to write:


Hi G*******, (handle omitted for privacy)

Having gone down this road, in terms of

a) sourcing the battery (TN) and

b) working with local installer,

I would suggest a few things.

1) clear written contract with time and warranty spelled out

2) have the photo I.D. your installer and her / his / their home / real business address on the contract (make it pretty legal, if they hesitate, they are not worth your time)

3) **** tel number here for battery source, so only available PM

4) Buy with a major credit card so you are protected if there are any issues at the battery purchase end

5) Calculate some advance costs, if your mileage is over 50 / 60KK, I believe you should think twice, because other things break on the Leaf (internal charging unit, inverter, A/C, etc.) that don't make sense when you could buy a Bolt for 13K that's 7 years newer (at fire sale prices)

6) ask your local installer for 4 references with pictures of real installs

7) have contractor use Dala's canbus.

8) use larger tires, see my posts, runs so much better on highway (and less sag with added weight even without my planned shock / strut change)

9) Get the 62kwh battery, at the moment they are low mileage and seemingly with little degradation.

10 Use Dala's programming to set 90%charge limit, will protect battery, and with 62 kwh, you get to go pretty far anyways

11) If possible, start with a California Leaf so you eliminate most rust issues (and of course see some of the wonderful rust proofing entries in this forum

Errors I made:

1) didn't check references enough
2) I had two 2011 Leafs, I should have used the one with 38K, not 70k ,mileage
3) Evan though, as notes, my conversions was with a 2011 leaf, only do this with 2013 for time being until Dala's canbus doesn't throw the occasional error for the 2011 / 2012 (for 62 kwh battery)


That said:

It's great to get between 200 and 300 miles on a charge and not have to be in public life these days, charging at home at night for very little (makes me want to go solar at some point)

I think that is a good start, please let me know if this is helpful

Best,

Aloha!

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:20 am
by DaveinOlyWA
Stanton wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:03 am
Enough talk about theory: how about a real live 24->40 kWh battery swap/install! The donor pack came from a (local) salvaged 2020 Leaf; I installed Dala's CAN-bridge myself and Chris Murphy's Automotive did the pack swap. I'm probably going to write a blog about it for EAA, but here's a couple of pics to whet your appetite.
Image
You can see from the dash pic that the pack was in really good shape (good things come to those who wait).Image
Nice revival! So what issues are you working with? I can see by the pix, everything is not fine. Steve Marsh's 2011 SL had some quirks but most have been ironed out. Like any battery swap, the BMS is slow on the uptake so some issues (mostly display) will fix themselves.

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:07 am
by Stanton
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:20 am
Nice revival! So what issues are you working with? I can see by the pix, everything is not fine. Steve Marsh's 2011 SL had some quirks but most have been ironed out. Like any battery swap, the BMS is slow on the uptake so some issues (mostly display) will fix themselves.
What exactly in the pix is "not fine"? I don't have any issues; in fact, I'm loving the BatterySaver function that Dala added to the CAN-bridge/converter.

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:41 am
by DaveinOlyWA
Stanton wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:07 am
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:20 am
Nice revival! So what issues are you working with? I can see by the pix, everything is not fine. Steve Marsh's 2011 SL had some quirks but most have been ironed out. Like any battery swap, the BMS is slow on the uptake so some issues (mostly display) will fix themselves.
What exactly in the pix is "not fine"? I don't have any issues; in fact, I'm loving the BatterySaver function that Dala added to the CAN-bridge/converter.
As an experienced LEAFer you should know that full regen and 100% SOC is not possible.

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:04 pm
by LeftieBiker
Why would full regen not be possible with the charge limiter set to 80%...?

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:10 pm
by knightmb
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:41 am
As an experienced LEAFer you should know that full regen and 100% SOC is not possible.
Technically correct, but there is a bit of wiggle room and that is temperature. If you charge the battery up to 100% SOC and the battery is close to 100F or higher, then you can regain *nearly* full regen (25 to 30 kW range) within a few percent of (say like 98% SOC). I'm referring to the Gen 1 Leaf, I haven't experimented with the Gen 2 Leaf enough to know for sure. Just my experience with my recent 2013 Leaf.

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:38 am
by DaveinOlyWA
LeftieBiker wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:04 pm
Why would full regen not be possible with the charge limiter set to 80%...?
Well, its possible the car is far enough below full charge to regain all regen capability and still show 12 bars but the 165 mile range estimate tells me that is unlikely. EV Work's LEAF have several display peculiarities when it was upgraded probably due to a slow BMS adjusting to the new pack as many of the peculiarities cleared up on their own

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:42 am
by SageBrush
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:38 am
LeftieBiker wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:04 pm
Why would full regen not be possible with the charge limiter set to 80%...?
Well, its possible the car is far enough below full charge to regain all regen capability and still show 12 bars
It doesn't work that way. 80% is not 80% of new, it is 80% of the current pack capacity

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:47 am
by DaveinOlyWA
SageBrush wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:42 am
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:38 am
LeftieBiker wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:04 pm
Why would full regen not be possible with the charge limiter set to 80%...?
Well, its possible the car is far enough below full charge to regain all regen capability and still show 12 bars
It doesn't work that way. 80% is not 80% of new, it is 80% of the current pack capacity


Either its at 80% (which its not) and the SOC bars are wrong (unlikely) or its at 100% and ALL the 80% comments are based on the 80% setting turned on AFTER the car was charged to 100% (likely)

Kinda funny because Steve Marsh's car only showed 11 CPs for several days after the 40 kwh pack install but eventually the 12th bar showed up. A complete reversal of the normal BMS reset

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:37 pm
by Stanton
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:41 am
Stanton wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:07 am
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:20 am
Nice revival! So what issues are you working with? I can see by the pix, everything is not fine. Steve Marsh's 2011 SL had some quirks but most have been ironed out. Like any battery swap, the BMS is slow on the uptake so some issues (mostly display) will fix themselves.
What exactly in the pix is "not fine"? I don't have any issues; in fact, I'm loving the BatterySaver function that Dala added to the CAN-bridge/converter.
As an experienced LEAFer you should know that full regen and 100% SOC is not possible.
I think the mystery has been solved as represented by this (new) dash photo!
Image
Once I figured out I wasn't actually charging to 100%, everything made sense (I'm still figuring out the all CAN-bridge features). You'll notice now I have no time to charge to 100% with no regen available. In addition, I can now charge to 4.2v/cell with the BatterySaver function (original Leaf was 4.1v/cell).