specialgreen
Delivery Date: 26 Mar 2017

Re: Swop Reverse and Drive Positions on the Stick Shift

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:01 pm

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/ ... echnology/

If you have the freedom to redesign for an intuitive interface, I wonder what would be best? Reverse is usually only used zero or one time at the start, and again at the end of a drive (not often). If you are backing-up, you probably twist in your car seat (at least, I hope you're not relying 100% on the camera!). There could be a grab-handle to the right of the driver's seat, about where the parking brake is on some cars: when you twist around to look out the back window, grab the handle and squeeze a button to set the drive direction to reverse. This would simply produce a warning chime if the car is not already in Park. When reverse is actuated, for further confirmation, the car could play a "reverse" sound on the _inside_ of the car (you know... like your phone can play a separate sound for SMS messages from each of your kids?). A red LED on the dash could light; if the driver is looking forwards, it should be very hard to miss that the car is going to go backwards.

MickM
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2018

Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:22 am

I just came to the forums for the first time to start a post about this and was gladdened to see this topic is already 10 pages long. The very first thing I noticed when driving this car was that the shift lever direction was counter-intuitive. I have made mistakes already (that fortunately didn't turn into an accident) over this. I guess I now have a lot of reading to do within this topic to see if anybody has actually succeeded in making this modification. There are some obvious downsides though:
1. Voiding the warranty
2. A 3rd party (e.g. a service tech) damaging your vehicle because he wasn't expecting this modification
3. Resale consequences
Anyway, I've got 9 other pages to read so I better get cracking.

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:39 pm

I agree, when you think about it, it doesn't make sense but personally, when I don't think about it, it comes naturally to me. I'm guessing it's because on a floor-mounted automatic, you pull back to go forward. True you also pull back to go back(in reverse) but on floor-mounted shifters I generally just pull right over R and go to D, then to get into R I end up going forward from D, just like the Leaf.
For someone not used to floor mounted automatics or first-time drivers, explaining why on the Leaf you push forward to go backward and pull backward to go forward doesn't make sense, I'll agree on that.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

brunohill
Delivery Date: 05 Oct 2017

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:23 am

If you spend half your day driving a fork lift and toggle forward to go forward, neutral in the middle and back to go backwards and then you get in your car and try the same thing.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:13 pm

Not sure if I mentioned this yet but Jaguar I-Pace did this right. D (drive) button is forward of the R (reverse) button, neutral in the middle.
Has not been a issue, just can't imagine it any other way.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

jpr
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2020
Leaf Number: 025617

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:03 pm

How about this ;) ?

I have just got my, lightly used, 2018 Leaf and really did not like the "backward" shifter. I do not drive, and did only few times, an automatic transmission and did not want to get accustomed to Leaf's backward shifter, so I swapped the direction after only one trip.
Please take all following info as just a description of what I did to my car, I am not advising anybody to do that. Nissan warranty might be violated, damage to you and your car may happen.

My car is ZE1, 2018, but it seems the mod would be the same to all previous years too. I did it based on 2015 service manual, shiffter assembly and connectors looks exactly the same, pinout seems to be the same too, only wire colors in the harness are different. I also saw 2011 shifter assembly at eBay and it looked the same too.

Core of the mod is swapping two pairs of wires anywhere in the harness between shifter assembly and cars VCM. I did it at shifter side. There is no good access to the harness w/o dismantling the entire center console, VCM side might be better, but I did not look there.

The core of the mod is shown in shifter assembly connector image borrowed from 20015 service manual:

I removed shifter assembly based on the LED Mod description:

viewtopic.php?t=14069

Swapping the two pairs of wires swaps shifter operation. On the top of it I also rotated shifter knob 180deg and kept the "P" letter not rotated. Doing that leaves surfaces of the two buttons not even, so somebody may prefer keeping the knob alone or rotate the whole thing and ignore "P" letter upside down.
More images and few more notes are at IMGUR:

https://imgur.com/a/NaKcufM?&nc

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”