Another ~annual range/capacity report to add to the previous two on this thread.
For all three tests below, I chose days with very close to the identical temperatures, used the same tire pressure (~43 PSI @~70 F) and drove the same route over the first ~85.7 miles and last ~1.7 miles of the trip, using the same mode (eco). I used my trip logs from the first test to match times for the three (same distance) legs of the trip, and the less-precise time/miles for each charge bar loss. The variable additional miles after ~85.7 and before the VLBW were driven in short loops at ~25 mph and over 7m/kWh, which means the percentage increases in total miles, m/kWh, and drive time, are all somewhat over-represented by the numbers in the results. Since the VLBs all occurred on a slow descending grade ~200 ft. in elevation above the start and end of the route, the SOC variations between the VLBs and end of tests are negligible.
My first test on 9/7/11
, ~3,300 miles on the odometer reported on page one of this thread:
91.5 miles to VLB, 93.4
in total, by the odometer, ~177 minutes drive time.
CarWings: 91.1 (~2.5% under-report) total miles, at 4.9 m/kWh
, 18.7 kWh used from 100% to about the same capacity level, ~VLB.
The results from the second test on 8/30/12
, ~12,100 miles on odometer, reported on page three of this thread:
97.3 miles to VLB, 98.9
miles in total, by the odometer, ~190 minutes drive time.
CarWings: 96.5 (~2.5% under-report) total miles, at 5.7 m/kWh
, 16.8 kWh used from 100% to about the same capacity level, ~VLBW.
The results from the third test on 8/04/13
, ~20,200 miles on odometer, were:
100.3 miles to VLB, 101.9
miles in total, by the odometer, ~193 minutes drive time.
CarWings: 99.4 (~2.5% under-report) total miles, at 6.3 (dash/CarWings) m/kWh,
15.8 kWh used from 100% to about the same capacity level, ~VLB.
These results are fairly representative of the other ~30 other range test I have done on this same route, as varying with different ambient/battery temperatures, different speeds, and different tire pressures, as well as what I've seen on my regular commute, and on longer trips.
I have experienced no noticeable loss of range.
Whatever loss of available battery capacity my leaf has experienced over the last two years has evidently been offset (and slightly exceeded by) efficiency gains, by both the driver and/or vehicle.
I probably did improve my efficiency in the year between the first and second test, and, IMO, the CarWings regen reports tend to support this.
Other driver efficiency factors that does not all show up in the regen numbers, are that I have learned that making large variations in speed to avoid regen is not efficient, and I may have also reduced the losses to friction braking by a bit, which are significant on this route, with ~6,000 ft. of total ascent, and the same descent.
But I doubt my own driving efficiency has improved significantly since the second test, over the last year.
Vehicle efficiency has improved, and of course the stock tires, now pretty near to replacement, are the prime suspects. But I don't discount the possibility that there have been other efficiency gains due to the other components of the drivetrain's breaking in
and reducing frictional losses.
But I doubt both these factors add up to explain the very large increases in reported efficiency, from 4.9 to 6.3 in m/kWh, that I have seen.
So I am very skeptical of the App reported stats, 55.79 AHr and 84.21% at the start of my 8/4/13 test, and the very similar Dash/ CarWings and Nav screen report (15.8/18.7= ~84.5%) of capacity loss from ~VLBW to “100%. I think they are probably both reporting the same “pessimistic gauge” error (as Nissan has called it) an inability of the LBC to accurately monitor battery capacity over time.
I believe that it is more probable that My LEAF’s battery has lost a significantly lower percentage capacity over the last ~2 years, perhaps about the percentage that my recharge time results seem to indicate:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=210
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That said, at least until I replace my tires and see what sort of efficiency loss results, and also continue to watch my range, and the App/capacity bar reports for some time longer, I don’t think I can say the App and”gauge” reports of loss of capacity are definitely incorrect.
At this point, I plan on keeping the car a long time, and I plan to continue to test and report the results.
I have also established a slower-speed test standard on the same route that I can use for year-round tests (which produced those ~110-113 mile summer range results I have posted on this thread and the the 100 mile thread) and my LEAF should be able to complete the basic ~87 mile route at that speed for many more years, even after my battery experiences much larger losses of available capacity than it has to date-whatever they are.
I am presently satisfied that, in my own real world
use, and now with only 11 capacity bars (I lost the first on 8/22/13, during a 730 mile trip to the Bay Area) my LEAF still goes ~ the same distance as it did ~2 years ago, on a “100%” charge.