Advice: Buying an older Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiterave

I am looking getting a cheap (under $6k) EV car. I want to drive it for about 1 yearish, before I jump in with both feet on a new EV. I would like something that can do Level 2 charging, and has a range of at least 50+ miles. It seems the Leaf might do that but it is really hard to calculate battery life.

I have been looking at 2013 models with about 50K miles. Do you really think that would work, I have about 40 mile commute that is 50% highway and 50% city driving. I do not want to be running on static electricity.

Thanks for all your help.

Approximately, where are you located? We ask because high temps are brutal on Leaf batteries in terms of degradation. And super low temps (below freezing) == range reduction when it's cold. For winter, figure 1/3 to 1/2 range loss vs. spring w/no AC and no heater.

whiterave said:
I have about 40 mile commute that is 50% highway and 50% city driving. I do not want to be running on static electricity.
Is that total or each way?
If total, you will probably make it...but climate (as asked) matters (both hot and cold for different reasons).
The most important thing to do when buying (any) used EV is: put a meter (LeafSpy/whatever) on the battery pack and check it's health. If you aren't comfortable doing that, then skip the used part and go right to buying a new EV (it sounds like you are headed that way anyway).
Good luck!

SageBrush said:
40 miles --- is that EPA miles or whiterave miles ?

What does whiterave mean ?

LOL, I'm sure his phone must have autocorrected a typo of "whatever" into "whiterave". That's definitely a new one, pretty amazing - just shows how crappy autocorrect can be!

[EDIT] just realized OP used that as his handle. Clearly not a typo [/EDIT]

i have a 40 mile commute and been able to make it in a 2012 with 55k miles, 7 bars capacity; BUT have to take side roads as much as possible and limit high speed interstate miles to as few as possible, and have to fully charge every night. Start with 12 bars in morning, get home with 2 bars.

don't know if it will still be possible after capacity drops to 6 bars, but i'm just gonna keep ridin that pony till the stirrups are draggin in the dirt.

2013 owner with 70k on the clock. 70% SOH battery.

I reckon I could do about 75 miles of motorway driving if you keep your speed under 60mph and accelerate/brake sensibly. Possibly more if yo stay off the motorway.

This sounds extremely limiting but with young kids it's rare we 5o miles without stopping for something. All you need is something like ABRP and the charging stops are clearly planned. It requires a shift in your driving but I'm quite enjoying the relaxed pace. Rather than getting frustrated and looking for overtaking opportunities behind a slow driver, you suddenly enjoy being able to relax a bit and clock up the extra range.

Unless you are prepared to adjust your driving and limit your speed on longer journeys, older EVs probably won't work. I don't doubt we will need to upgrade in future.

However, I would say if most of your journeys are within the range of your battery; if you are prepared to adjust you driving and if you are prepared for (minimal) planning and extended times on longer trips, then older Leafs work absolutely fine. If you want to drive it just like an ICE car, then probably not unless you can afford a newer EV. Essentially older Leafs were experimental/ground breaking at the time. That innovation comes with numerous issues, but also the benefit over a decade of experience of the issues and suitable workarounds.

My feeling is that within a few years reconduioned batteries for early Leafs will become widespread rather than the relatively niche industry they are at the moment. At that stage "older" EVs will not really matter. It will be like anything else. Every decade or so you upgrade the battery, but the essential drive train will pretty much outlast everyone.

I'm pretty certain the reason why this hasn't happened already is that so called million mile drive trains are a huge issue for car companies, who have relied on cars being scrapped near to 100k miles. However, they are facing the fact that if they don't get into battery replacement, other companies will. Being the first one to jump has massive PR advantages. II will... eventually... happen.

Back