SoH 9 pins out of twelve? Dashboard shows 12 out 12?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulieHolm

Dear fellow Leaf Owners

Just bought a used Leaf Tekna 2019 40KwH - 13000km - We had for two weeks now.

The first thing I checked before buying the car was the SoH... It showed 12 pins on the dashboard, so I was happy with that.

Now yesterday I charged the car from about 54% to 81% and I got this charging update from the NissanConnect EV app, that my battery only shows 9 out of twelve pins.

Now I have read many threads regarding this issue. The the dashboard shows a full SoH and data from app shows something completely different. I've read that some dealers can hack or reset the SoH on the car or has it something to do with the BMS?

I have read about Leafspy and paid the 115 dkk for it...But realized after watching some good youtube videos that I also need OBDII plugin to get the actual app reading the cars data.

Im really in despair can anyone explain me what the the state og health of my battery is? What can I rely on?

Thanks in advance.

Julie

First, don't panic. It is very unlikely that your 2019 leaf has lost three capacity bars - we know of no one who has lost more than one on a 40kwh Leaf, and that was on the 2018 Leaf. Since the capacity screen shows 12 bars, that is likely what you have. The Nissan Connect app is not very reliable, and I suspect that it just glitched. I suggest you get LeafSpy Pro, and the OBDII port reader listed in my signature.

Welcome, Denmark (and Greenland and Faroe islands) :D

First, let's get terms and their meanings sorted out:

SoC is how full the battery is charged. It is displayed as a percentage on the Leaf display, in the LeafSpy App, and as a series of bars elsewhere on the car display. The SoC rises as you charge the car, and drops as you use the car.

Capacity is how much charge the battery can accept when fully charged. It is displayed as Ahr in the LeafSpy app. The LeafSpy app also reports "SOH" which tracks capacity quite closely as a linear scale from 0 - 100, with 100 being the presumed capacity of a new battery. The capacity display in the LEAF is coarse, so it appears to be stable from day to day and usually month to month. Periodically the LEAF display will show that a chunk of capacity has been lost. LeafSpy has a more detailed report.

This photo shows you the sub-screen on the LEAF 2018+ display that displays capacity: The long horizontal bar reaches the 12th tick mark when the battery is new, and becomes shorter as capacity is lost. In older LEAFs the tick marks were displayed as a series of up to 12 bars. This is why many posts about battery capacity talk about 'capacity bars.' The scale shown from 0 - 1 is not used in discussion, mostly because there are 12 rather than 10 divisions. But even those 12 divisions are misleading because the first and last division each represent ~ 2.5x the capacity of the other divisions. In casual conversation, people talk about how many bars/ticks they have lost, or have remaining. The Nissan battery degradation warranty kicks in (subject to km and time limitations) when 4 or more bars/ticks have been lost. That would be a capacity of 8 or fewer bars/ticks. Nissan is not known for humor, but this photo is taken from an educational video and shows the battery capacity at 8 ticks, so ready for a new battery.

uc

EV Connect indicates the SOC (state of charge) in terms of bars because the older cars had a graphic display of 0 to 12 bars (0 being deeply discharged and 12 being fully charged). Since you charged to 81% yesterday, EV Connect shows 9 of 12 bars. If you charge the car fully, EV Connect will show SOC as 12 of 12 bars. As others have already noted, the SOH (state of health) of the battery is shown as a bar graph with 12 segments that disappear one at a time as the battery deteriorates from use. You probably still have all 12 segments displayed.

In the older LEAFs the SoC graph and the Capacity graph were side by side, and they were both displayed as a series of 12 bars. That design choice has helped cause an awful lot of confusion through the years.

Thank you to all of you.

Your answers have been most helpful.

I did purchase the OBDII and installed Leafspy pro and got all informations I wanted.
And a healthy battery status too.

Have a nice evening.

BR Julie

Back