Nissan Connect app nonsense cheating on energy and cost

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbit

I'm getting totally useless data on energy/cost from the Nissan Connect app. Is it just me or what? If not, since fixing it seems really simple for Nissan, how is it possible nobody has already pinpointed this in all the reviews?
The problems I have are twofold: main one is that it often states it has consumed much less energy then true. And the second one is that, even when it reports credible energy usage, it cheats on the cost.
Consider that I live in flatland and every day my trips start form home, go to school, work, market, etc and return home.

Now consider these values:
M: energy used by the motor, zero or positive
R: regenerated energy, also zero or positive
B: energy taken from the battery (usually positive, but could be occasionally negative if I regenerate more then I consume, for example if I just drive from the mountains to the valley).
So you have: M-R=B

My Nissan Connect app today shows these values for the February month:
Travel distance: 701km
Energy: 99kwh - split in 48kwh of consumed energy and 50.8 of regenerated energy
Cost 7.23 euro (I've set 0.15 euro as the cost_per_kWh)
Screenshot-20210223-080638-Nissan-Connect.png

Ok, so 100kWh for 700km is about credible. The problem is with the energy and cost display (see screenshot)
If we interpret "Energy" as B and "regenerated energy" as R, then "consumed energy" shown in the app is B-R which doesn't represent anything meaningful. The cost of course should be computed as B * cost_per_kWh, which is around 15 euro. Instead the app computes the cost as (B-R) *cost_per_kWh which means nothing and is clearly much lower, only 7.23 euro, misleading you into thinking your Leaf is very cheap.

Second problem is that, switching to daily report, several days show zero energy consumption as eg.
travel distance: 45km
Energy: 3.91 kWh - split in 0 kWh "consumed energy" and 3.91kWh of "regenerated energy"
Screenshot-20210223-081108-Nissan-Connect.png

Since the app uses "consumed energy" for the cost, it shows cost = 0 !!!
So it is saying I've traveled 45km at zero cost. Which is clearly far from true. Even the car itself reports about 7 kWh consumed from the battery. I mean, even if we hypothesize that the motor has consumed ONLY 3.91kWh for 45km, it is impossible that the car has both consumed 3.91kWh and also regenerated 3.91kWh (in my flat area where I start from home and return home) - besides it would also be a very peculiar coincidence. And indeed the in-car display says it has consumed around 17% of the battery - not 0%.

I have the exact same issue with both the Nissan Leaf app and another app i use (MyLeaf). Both report 0KWH usage, but xKWH regen on the daily figures for the past 4 days - before that, the data was populated correctly.

Not sure if this is an issue with the nissanconnect data cloud, but i suspect it is, as both apps use the same cloud data as their source.

The useful number is Totale kWh.
OP will just have to multiple that by his cost/kWh all by himself

Yeah, I found it easier to simply not get a LEAF with the option. I had a few theories of how the energy was calculated like its only looking at motive force w/o regard to accessories or climate control but either way, it was spouting out numbers way too high.

I had been tracking transpo cost since Nov 2003 so adding the LEAF to the mix was quite easy. I used a Kill a watt meter for the first 2½ months until we moved and I upgraded to 240 volts. I ran a utility grade meter to the plug and moved the plug to the wall next to the meter and used that. The meter was $40 all in, a 240 volt meter similar to Kill a watt was over $100 but the car was still .2 to .3 miles/kwh over my calcs so I stopped using it.

It was kinda of funny but I realized that if I wanted to brag, I had to use the center screen numbers since they were so much better.

Well I've reported this to Nissan as a bug and they're troubleshooting it now, so when I hear back I'll update.

DC3 said:
Well I've reported this to Nissan as a bug and they're troubleshooting it now, so when I hear back I'll update.

I'm also collecting screenshots to report this at the end of the month. Maybe if many of us report it, we get Nissan to fix it...

lbit said:
DC3 said:

I'm also collecting screenshots to report this at the end of the month. Maybe if many of us report it, we get Nissan to fix it...

I have had a response from the nissanconnect app team advising that, as expected, the car isn't submitting the data to the cloud correctly, and that i will need to contact the local Nissan dealership to take the issue further (as it's a car issue, not an app issue as such).

Interestingly, for anyone questioning how they work out the efficiency numbers or whether they use just engine consumption or overall battery usage (i.e. aircon etc), here's how it's done according to the data team:

VCMEVEnergyConsumption(Consumed electricity) is calculated based on the below 4 fields:

1. DriveMotorElectricityConsumptionPlus
2. ACElectricityConsumption
3. AuxiliaryEquipmentElectricityConsumption
4. DriveMotorElectricityConsumptionMinus

VCMEVEnergyconsumption= [1+2+3-4]

So yeah... not sure if i can be bothered to take the car in for this, but if i do i'll update again.

Back